The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

ECMlink "no response received" im going insane.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaveBlue83

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2009
Landenburg, Pennsylvania
Here's what I have:

-95 Talon TSi AWD
-V3 DSMlink less than 1yr old. bought NEW
-Socketed EPROM by ECMtuning
-V3 cable confirmed LED lights up upon connection and when trying to connect to ECU
-Pin 1 re-routed straight to pin 56 at ECU to eliminate any issues with harness
-Pin 7 re-routed straight to pin 62 at ECU to eliminate any issues with harness
-OBD port cleaned with MAF cleaner and blown out with compressed air, no loose pins from what I can tell.
-macbook running Bootcamp to windows XP. mac side will NOT run ECMlink, it force quits immediately. I have tried other Windows Native laptops with the same results as below.

MY ERROR:

COM6: Trying to connect
COM6: No response received!
LOG MSG: Action raised exception

a pop-up message comes up "No response received!"

COM port5 is sometimes available but does not connect either. the USB cable is on COM port 6 AFAIK.

I have send my cable back and have been given another one. I have send my ECU back and it has been verified that it is OK and works. The ECU is currently IN my car, and the car runs, drives, boosts, etc within stock map parameters.

I have emailed Tom from ECM tuning in good moods and bad moods about this and he told me the cable and ECU are verified OK.

I took this to Karl Pritz (owner of KP Tuning in Philly) last night and he has NEVER had an issue with a V3 cable on a DSM in this manner. He was totally miffed on this issue. He used his tuning computer and tried for 45min while the car was ON to connect and it would not. He just tuned a 2g 2 weeks ago using his setup with no issues. he re-installed ECMlink, checked all drivers, everything to no avail.

I am about as pissed off as I can possibly be without doing physical harm to my vehicle.

I bought the car BONE STOCK from an adult that was the second owner. there were NO splices on the factory wiring. nothing molested.

please god does anyone have some insight???????? I have scoured the wikki and have done everything listed to check.

Last edited:
Make sure the correct driver is installed and try restarting the program.

What OS are you running on your MacBook? I have a MacBook running OS 10.6.7 and I run ECMlink on it everyday, no problems.

If that fails start checking the ODB port as shown here: http://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/connectionproblem?s=diagnostic%20port

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^i know that page well.

i am running the latest snow leopard on my macbook, latest link that i am aware of, all drivers installed.

pin16 has unswitched power
pin1 has about 5v as its half as bright as pin 16 using a voltage tester, but definitely has power.

i ran wires striaght to the ecu from te other 2 pins to eliminate stock wiring (that is perfect).

i have no issues with my locks, windows or electronics. stock stereo, the "security" light works on the dash when locked. the illumination ring and ac adapter light function.

i have pulled EVERY fuse in the car today and all are fine.

^^i know that page well.

i am running the latest snow leopard on my macbook, latest link that i am aware of, all drivers installed.

pin16 has unswitched power
pin1 has about 5v as its half as bright as pin 16 using a voltage tester, but def has power.

i ran wires striaght to tge ecu from te other 2 pins to eliminate stock wiring (that is perfect).

i have no issues with my locks, windows or electronics. stock stereo, the "security" light works on the dash when locked. the illumination ring and ac adapter light function.

i have pulled EVERY fuse in the car today and all are fine.

Hmm, and you said you tried other windows laptops as well? With the proper windows drivers? I'm stumped. As far as the Mac issue, I'm running Snow Leopard as well, 10.6.7 (the most recent that I am aware of). I have a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, my MacBook is from 2006. I'm wondering why it works perfect on mine but force quits on yours?

2 different windows laptops, one that runs SCT ford software fine, one that runs ECMlink software fine, plus my mac. all failed.

my mac is a 2.2ghz on snow leopard, bought new in 2007 and FRESH from warranty work at apple.

I just put the car back at the storage unit. I wont be near it till next weekend. I said my final words to it tonite. I'm not driving it until this is resolved. if it isnt, well, i dont wanna think of that yet.

Do you have the program set for the correct ECU type, as well as the correct version? I tuned a buddies car on 2.5, and it took me almost 3 hours of struggling when I returned to my own car because I forgot to switch it back. Just a thought I haven't heard mentioned yet.

yes, its correct, 2g ECMlink version 3. Just made sure today.

I have actually tried EVERY single version and car type on the pulldown menu. I did that today.

I started going and clicking every option and nothing worked.

no response received!

I have scoured the internet and tried every fix-all to this I can find. nothing works.

The "no response received" is very vague. This could be any number of reasons. It just means that for some reason the computer is sending a signal out but it is not receiving anything back from the ecu. I had pulled the MPI relay to prim my motor and it would not connect took me two days to plug the fuse back in to find out that problem. If Tom checked the ECU then I would point towards wiring in some fashion. I know it is stock but something could be loose. I know this is not much help but it is impossible for me to give pin point information. I hope you get connected soon.

I wish that the software would give you a code that tells you what the connection issue is. if your o2 sensor is bad, you get an o2 sensor code on a code reader.

I agree this error provides no resolution. not even a code number.

I will be taking my ECU out and putting it in a friends car and trying to connect through his vehicle with my laptop and cable. I cannot think of anything else to do.

Although this probably wont help you, just an FYI...

I was having a problem with my ECU, and sent it to DSMlink for testing. They found an issue, fixed it and returned it. I installed it, and the issue was back. So I returned the ECU, and they fixed ti again (at no charge). Did this a few more times, before I was able to determine that there was a wiring issue causing the problem, not the ECU itself. The wiring problem was damaging the ECU each time.

So I guess my point is that I completely trust the guys at link. They have taken care of me every time I have ever needed them, even though I don't think any of it was their fault. Tom and those guys will make every effort to get yo fixed, im sure of that.

^^^would the car run if the chip isnt correctly installed/not seated? Thing is ECMtuning did the chip socketing.

the car runs fine.

---------- Post added 05-15-2011 at 16:15 ----------

well, i reloaded link onto my macbook at it FINALLY opens up now.

BUT...

same issue. either the port is in use by an "unknown Application" or no response recieved......EVEN on the USB serial cable port....the one that the DSMlink cable comes up as. which is complete BS. i have tried EVERY port with the same result. its on ECMlink V3 - 2G.

heres a screenshot:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

---------- Post added 05-15-2011 at 16:41 ----------

Cable identified on my mac:

Cable showing up in Link as correct cable:

Link keeps trying to connect to the bluetooth and modem and other available ports.
if i hide ALL the other ports and JUST leave the ECMlink cable, I get this:

that's, excuse my french, is complete bull**** as it is correctly blinking, correctly showing in the system, correctly ported in ECMlink, and it says it doesnt exist......

nope, i didn't have time to get to it. i just got the car long enough to hardwire my valentine one in, and redo my gauges. I had another car on the list to work on.

I don't see how it is gonna be any different tho.....now that I have the mac side working I can track the connections and it seems that though the cable is connected and is found, it is not present when trying to connect. I think it's a cable-computer issue, not a car-ECU issue. what I would like to do is use my laptop on someone elses link equipped car and see if it connects. if I can connect to another car fine, then I can say its not the laptops. then I can move onto the cable. i cant verify crap until i have a verified operational laptop now that I think about it.

nope, i didn't have time to get to it. i just got the car long enough to hardwire my valentine one in, and redo my gauges. I had another car on the list to work on.

I don't see how it is gonna be any different tho.....now that I have the mac side working I can track the connections and it seems that though the cable is connected and is found, it is not present when trying to connect. I think it's a cable-computer issue, not a car-ECU issue. what I would like to do is use my laptop on someone elses link equipped car and see if it connects. if I can connect to another car fine, then I can say its not the laptops. then I can move onto the cable. i cant verify crap until i have a verified operational laptop now that I think about it.

Now that you're using it on your Mac did you install the driver for snow leoperd?

Hello, I had a issue like your having before. I use a HP computer though, my problem was my accessories drivers that were installed on the computer. For example, I had a blue tooth adapter connected to my USB port so that I could beam my pictures, etc.. information from my cell to the computer. This caused my computer to constantly look for & use the "ports" for my Black Berry(which was always on and the computer was always trying to connect with it) Which gave me the same error message that you are getting. I turned what ever was hogging up the ports off and everything worked fine...
Hope this helps,
Corey

^^^hmmmmm.....i have bluetooth built in on the macbook. i use keyboards and a mouse via bluetooth.

so did you turn the bluetooth off on the laptop and your cell and then it worked?

its weird that a built in bluetooth would take a usb port. I will see if i can free that port. i have no idea on how to do that tho. thanks!

bumping this back up.....

I turned off the bluetooth, still no response. will have the car most of today and maybe into the week if i can. trying to get to the KOP meet tonite if the weather holds out so ppl can diagnose this crap.

well, my chip went in when it was socketed but apparently fell out of the package and into the used packing peanut bin. I got my ECU back and the chip was gone so I assumed it was installed with the socket job. I didnt wanna mess up anything by opening the cover so i never checked it.

They found my chip later on and it's actually been sitting on Tom Dorris' desk since December. he and i both didnt ever think it was not installed. after I finally opened the ECU up and saw the stock chip he remembered the unknown chip on his desk. I asked him if he had found a chip and he said as a matter of fact......

so, yeah, check your ECU when u get it back. save yourself any issues. my stupid of the year on this car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back