1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

ECMLink V3, Can't get car to idle...

Posted by pab_eli, Sep 27, 2017

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. pab_eli

pab_eli Probationary Member

Joined Feb 27, 2009
    Crestline, California
    What's up party people!? New to the tuning game and it's starting off about as expected... can't get my car to idle 1f643.png

-2g gsx running ecmlinkv3
    -1g swap, plug order switched
    -non 95/96 CAS checked
    -3" gm maft set to aux4 base2, everything else zeroed out
    -base maf type set to stock in link
    -650cc fic injectors: global fuel = -31%, global deadtime = 210 microseconds
    -stock 2g map loaded, all comps zeroed
    -base fp set to 42.5 when car was running

Car will idle very rough and then die eventually. Af reading lean off the charts on aem wideband, but does not idle smooth enough to trust any reading. Car is mechanically sound (boost/vacuum leaks, compression, fp, spark all good) Help? Thanks in advance, can't wait to cruise again!

*UPDATE*

Okay, so I got the car to idle... something is definitely wrong with my settings. Here's what I did to get the car to idle at about 15.5 afr:

-MAFT idle setting turned all the way up to 8
    -global fuel up to -25% and deadtime up to 710 microseconds
    Screenshot 2017-09-27 19.36.09.png
    So basically, had to dump fuel in. FP reading at 38 psi at idle. Will check base pressure again with sunlight.

Then, to get the airflow grams/rev to ~2.5 I had to turn MAFcomp way down to -24%...
    Screenshot (16).png

I'm thinking there's something inherently wrong with something fundamental in the setup. Any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

Street Build 211  1

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. jakelandry

jakelandry Proven Member

Joined Oct 13, 2009
    Minden, Louisiana
    Everyone tunes their own way. If you have calibrated injector settings like FIC offers or something like that it's always best to go with their settings and modify your airflow settings to match the injectors because the injectors are the only known "constant". In your case you have no known constant so you can change whatever you want to get your afr correct. The easiest way is going to be to change the global, then move the airflow around a little then global then airflow until you get fuel trims cycling around zero and airflowperrev around .28. Everytime you change either the global or maf both the fuel trims and airflowperrev are going to change. That's why you have to change both a little at a time. you'll change global which will get your airflowperrev closer but your fuel trims will move. so you have to compensate with your mad settings to get fuel trims back to 0 then move the global again. This is all at idle btw. once you have idle set with fuel trims at 0 and airflowperrev at .28ish your injectors are calibrated and you can tune cruise and wot.

4K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.410 @ 125.490 · 2G DSM
    pab_eli likes this.
  3. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Dead time sounds WAY off, but everyone's setup is different. I would play with the global a little more and try to get my DT down. Have you looked at your InjOffset Voltage tab? I have had to vary mine to get it to respond better and I just do it while it is running, the same with the global and DT's, try doing it while the car is running and check the box that applies your changes immediately so you can see if it runs better or worse as you play with the setting. During that time, watch the A/F's as they will change, so do what you need to do to get it in line. FIC injectors are usually pretty close to what ECMLink says but they can all use a little tweaking.

Street Build 5K  31

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

2K  15

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

1K  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 7K  16  26

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  4. pab_eli

Joined Feb 27, 2009
    Crestline, California
    ↑ This is gold! I did not know about this function... worked like a charm. It's called "InjBatteryAdjust" on my version and I was able to adjust the offset, albeit drastically, to get the global and dt's where they make sense. Going to get my cruise on this weekend and go from there. Thanks guys, this community is awesome!

Street Build 211  1

manual · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  5. pab_eli

Joined Feb 27, 2009
    Crestline, California
    Definitely makes sense.... I will use this strategy for sure, thank you.

Street Build 211  1

manual · 2G DSM
  6. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Get out there and do some cruising now :thumb:

Street Build 5K  31

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

2K  15