The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMLink (DSMLink) V3

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillylepricon37

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2008
Rapid City, South_Dakota
I have a 1999 GS-T. The Regular Stock MAF Sensor with intake.The regular old ECU, And Im going to get ECMLink. I don't really know what things i need.

Injecor size, RC 550 Injectors? Do they need to know that?

What kind of MAF do i need?
2G DSM
Hacked 2G DSM
GM with MAFT
3 GM to ECU
3.5 GM to

What is a socketing service for +30$?
Is this where they put the chip in the ECU? and can i do it myself...etc.

Do i need a GM MAF Cable?
2G DSM MAF Connector for +75$?

Thanks

I have a 1999 GS-T. The Regular Stock MAF Sensor with intake.The regular old ECU, And Im going to get ECMLink. I don't really know what things i need.

What kind of MAF do i need?
2G DSM
Hacked 2G DSM
GM with MAFT
3 GM to ECU
3.5 GM to

What is a socketing service for +30$?
Is this where they put the chip in the ECU? and can i do it myself...etc.

Do i need a GM MAF Cable?
2G DSM MAF Connector for +75$?

Thanks

Yes they need to know what size injectors you have. You need to order 2g maf. If you a GM Maf then yes you will need a GM MAF cable. If your running the stock maf then you wont need that cable. Yes the socket service is where you send them your ecu and they put the chip into it. I wouldn't recommend you attempting to do it by yourself as it is very easy to mess up the board.

okay thank you. So i will send my ecu in then.

you have to have a 95 Eprom ECU, your 99 wont work FYI

no they dont need to know what injectors you have. because you can just change them in ECMlink, but its a good idea to tell them so the chip will come with them already set up for those injectors

you have to have a 95 Eprom ECU, your 99 wont work FYI

no they dont need to know what injectors you have. because you can just change them in ECMlink, but its a good idea to tell them so the chip will come with them already set up for those injectors

I think they figured out how to convert a non EPROM to a chipable ecu. IIRC.
-Shane

Why do they still need to know the injector size for ECMLink?

Only for the first time when ECMLink is not programmed yet?

I understand that for DSMLink v2 for 2Gs, because of the automatic fallback when the ECU voltage was missing.

You give them your injector size and MAF type so they can program the chip for you. This makes it a plug and play affair, where you put the EPROM'd ECU into your car, plug it up and drive away. If you ever decide to get a different size injector you will be able to change it later in ECMLink, as well as if you ever change your MAF type.

v2 is not just for 2Gs, it was for both generations. The v2 for 2Gs doesnt have memory, so that in case you lose battery power it reverts back to what ECMLINK programmed it.

If you go on the ECMlink website, e-mail Tm from ECMlink. tell him what you have and what you plan on doing, he will assist you every step of the way. I bought my ECMlink ECU a couple of months ago and he did it one step at a time with me. I order my ECU right from the shop but you can also send yours in. [email protected]. Thats his e-mail.

If you go on the ECMlink website, e-mail Tm from ECMlink. tell him what you have and what you plan on doing, he will assist you every step of the way. I bought my ECMlink ECU a couple of months ago and he did it one step at a time with me. I order my ECU right from the shop but you can also send yours in. [email protected]. Thats his e-mail.

I agree with everything thing 1g92_tis_xwd says.

yeah i got the 95 eprom ecu. Sent it out. and they got it today... So i selected RC550 and Stock MAF and bought the socketing service. Hopefully thats all i need. So do i call that guy when i start tuning it?

Anyone know how to set a bov to atmosphere on ecmlink. and just in case someone is about to get ecm link and has a 97+ they have to change the firing order. Other wise your car won't even start, it will just turn over.

Also, since my CAS is not adjustable, does the check box have to be checked or unchecked.

Is there some kind of check box for 272 cams. How do i tell it that i have 272's

There is no "box" to check for venting your BOV. You have to be either speed density or using a GM MAF, essentially the same thing. You really should select your version, buy it and then spend a week reading the website after you get your U/N and password for their forum. It is a lot more complicated than I think you realize. You don't check boxes to tell it your mods and it tunes it for you. It's a lot of fine adjustments with fuel and timing. Only takes one mistake to melt an engine.

No box to check for venting bov.
Check the box for inverting CAS.
No box for 272 cams.

Last edited:
Every question i have ever had about my ECM i have found an answer by reading on the ecm link webpage forums and wiki. take a few hrs and read on there. they also have a section in the wiki about start up, what you should do before you even turn the key all the important things to check that could give you problems.

they have a search tool also in each so whatever you are curious about type it in. chances are you are not the first to have that question and you won't be the last.

The firing order info has been known for a long time. It's for anyone using a non-'95-'96 CAS.

You'll want to look into Idle Airflow Clamp (Idle Air tab in ECMlink). You can click on the question mark button in the bottom right hand corner to read more about it. Or go search the link forums. Adam is correct though that there are only two proper ways to vent.

Yes you need to check the Invert CAS box.

You don't need to tell it different sized cams. You'll just need to adjust your idle most likely to make it run better, and then any other settings (airflow, fuel, etc.) that need to be changed.

That didn't really answer my question.

I don't see how that didn't answer your question. That sounded pretty clear to me. Like 95blackGsTurbo said:

1) You can't vent your BOV with DSMLink
2) The box needs to be checked to invert you CAS
3) There's no box that you can check for 272 cams. For that, you're going to actually be tuning your fuel tables and such.

I said thanks for answering my question.....
but anyways i have one last question. Can you run ecm link on windows 7. Is there any possibility you can get an update or something for it? because i have to buy a new laptop because mine crashed and i need to know this to make my decision thanks.

Not trying to thread jack but also have a quick question. Does it need to be a 95 EPROM ECU or is a normal ECU fine? how do i know its an EPROM?
ive got a 95 tsi awd. if that helps LOL

Can you run ecm link on windows 7. Is there any possibility you can get an update or something for it? because i have to buy a new laptop because mine crashed and i need to know this to make my decision thanks.

There is a known issue with the current release of v3 and Windows 7. Tom has fixed the issue as of 5 days ago and the next release will have native Windows 7 support. In the mean time, you'll have to run ECMlink in Windows XP compatibility mode. If you're not sure what this is, do a Google search.

Not trying to thread jack but also have a quick question. Does it need to be a 95 EPROM ECU or is a normal ECU fine? how do i know its an EPROM?
ive got a 95 tsi awd. if that helps LOL

Yes you need an EPROM ECU from a '95. They have not made it possible yet to do a non-EPROM conversion for the 2g ECU, although it is in the works.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/frequently-answered-dsm-questions/337343-how-identify-eprom-ecu.html

Can i Run straight up MAP sensor without any kind of MAF? also what would i need to make it bolt right on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back