The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

eBay knockoff GT35R testing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truth be told most "REPUTABLE" shops don't warrenty turbos. If it was a Garrett, Bullseye, Holset, ect... That went out the day after it was installed you would be stuck. To my knowleage Ebay and Turbonetics are the only ones that give one. I only by Turbonetics for this reason after a few months they all are out of specs and can be returned.

At least he's honest in this one...."This Turbo has Shaft Play, and needs to be rebuilt." But wow...congrats on getting back what you could, and hopefully things work out a little better for you and your boy!

If it only needed journal bearings, I'd buy it back for $10 and rebuild it just to see what happens...

....but I KNOW the turbine shaft is fuct as you can see in the last photo in post #196. The groove for the turbine seal is completely worn away.

I just check and my ebay GT35R/J that I sent back has been delivered to the seller.

Still waiting for my refund i will let everyone no how everything turns out.

Truth be told most "REPUTABLE" shops don't warranty turbos. If it was a Garrett, Bullseye, Holset, ect... That went out the day after it was installed you would be stuck. To my knowledge Ebay and Turbonetics are the only ones that give one. I only by Turbonetics for this reason after a few months they all are out of specs and can be returned.

Very good point. One question: If you supplied the right amount of oil to this turbo, would it still be good today?

For what it's worth, the freakin' listing AND the directions that came with the turbo said to use an oil restrictor because this was a ball bearing turbo....had I NOT used the restrictor, chances are this turbo would still be working fine. With that in mind, I hope the seller gets back EVERY ONE OF THESE THAT THEY SOLD because they're NOT going to last if the customer uses a restrictor!

Never mind, that question was answered. It would probably last.

To my knowleage Ebay and Turbonetics are the only ones that give one.
I know a guy that got warranty on a SBR G50 that was almost a year old....however, back then the G50 was made by Turbonetics and not Kinetic- so I'm sure that turbo went back to Turbonetics.

But you are correct- big turbo companies like Garrett insist that their turbos are build and tested to the highest standard; so if you buy one and it fails, it's YOUR fault.

^ ^ I can tell that turbo is journal bearing. It's using the T3-style center housing with the bolt-on compressor backplate. Some ball-bearing PTE turbos use the T3 center housing, but for the most part a GT35R uses the "GT" style center housing:

"GT" CHRA:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

"T3" CHRA:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

someone at my cousins technical school bought one and has it on his civic, its still going with no shaft play but he has it getting oil directly from the oil pan or pump, not sure

someone at my cousins technical school bought one and has it on his civic, its still going with no shaft play but he has it getting oil directly from the oil pan or pump, not sure
Keep in mind we ran 22psi on this thing....well UNDER the effciency of a true Garrett 35R, but most likely more than what a Civic can put to good use.

I die when Civic guys buy HUGE TURBOS and run 8psi. They really wring those monsters for all their worth. :rolleyes:

It's up to $55 now.
Pathetic. I'm half tempted to contact the winning bidder with the link for this thread.

I had it apart....there are NO useable parts inside. The turbine wheel's junk, the compressor wheel hit the housing (could be repaired and rebalanced), the center housing's grooved out where the turbine seal rides because of so much shaft play. About the only useable parts would be the compressor cover and the turbine housing IF they would fit a Garrett CHRA.

Did you see that the winning bidder of that has two garrets for sale?

LOL what does an authentic one go for? or a kit for a 2g gsx? i was thinkin about putting a cheap turbo on my 1.8

Bringing this back to the top only because I noticed another fine piece for sale on eBay. Seems the failure issues of this turbo stretch far beyond what Dave and I experienced a couple years ago.

Missing something?

Attachments

• DSC_1268.jpg
    DSC_1268.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 362
  • DSC_1269.jpg
    DSC_1269.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 384
It's still there - just clipped...a lot. Less rotating weight....= better spool time on such a 'large' turbo? I gotta try this myself.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back