The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Deric’s 91 GS-T

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you CAN'T HOLD IT IN BY HAND.....I would keep it. It won't over extend unless the belt stretches super bad as long as the initial setup is done right and I know you will do it right.
Thanks! I’ll gladly keep it. So, I have one new OEM (installed now), one new gates, and two used ones (unknown brand/no markings on one) on hand now. My shop is great for me, but storage is limited. I will keep plenty, just don’t want to keep garbage!

Me either, I have enough crap sitting around that just needs to be removed from the shop. I have 3 new OEM, 1 offbrand and one salvaged 533. Funny thing, I can't find the off brand unit. It is hiding in its box, I just don't know where. I didn't put it in my inventory sheet.

Can y’all see what’s going on here? I ran out of time in the shop today but I was just rechecking the torque on the crank sprocket bolt since I got my torque wrench working. Seems like a piece of the sprocket is breaking off behind the washer? I have another sprocket I can compare looks to when I get back from work tonight.

3E827AB2-F54B-4354-B975-C4DB8941EA82.jpeg
88AD9C73-75A3-403B-9616-611AA6CF3BF7.jpeg

Love seeing these build threads. Seeing the progress mixed in with a little bit of personal life stuff is always a good read.

It's so interesting that when I started in the car world 20 years ago and would frequent the forums, we were all young, no families or kids. Now most of the threads I read, guys are talking about not having time due to family/kids, myself included. I feel like the younger generation isn't as involved in this scene, and it's mostly the same guys who've been doing it for 20 years that are still active. Not sure where I'm going with this, but it's just something I've noticed as I've made my way back to the message boards and I thought it was interesting.

Dericsh, I also feel your pain on not having time. I remember building my first car I'd spend entire days in the garage. Now I can barely find time to change my own oil. It's one of the reasons I went against my "built not bought" roots and bought a car that was already done.

Looking forward to seeing you get this thing road-worthy!

Love seeing these build threads. Seeing the progress mixed in with a little bit of personal life stuff is always a good read.

It's so interesting that when I started in the car world 20 years ago and would frequent the forums, we were all young, no families or kids. Now most of the threads I read, guys are talking about not having time due to family/kids, myself included. I feel like the younger generation isn't as involved in this scene, and it's mostly the same guys who've been doing it for 20 years that are still active. Not sure where I'm going with this, but it's just something I've noticed as I've made my way back to the message boards and I thought it was interesting.

Dericsh, I also feel your pain on not having time. I remember building my first car I'd spend entire days in the garage. Now I can barely find time to change my own oil. It's one of the reasons I went against my "built not bought" roots and bought a car that was already done.

Looking forward to seeing you get this thing road-worthy!
Thanks for stopping by! You’re so right about all that, it’s even noticeable in person. Around here, the “car scene” is just new mustangs, Camaros, Dodges. You can buy a fast car off the dealer lot now, I guess that makes it a lot easier, but where’s the fun in that?

Either way, I love rad cars so here I am. Glad to be here with like minded people!

Hard to see what’s broken on the sprocket. Best to use the spare if it looks compromised
Thanks Tony. Wish I had noticed that earlier, you can see I changed the oil pump sprocket with a new one that I had, it was chipped. The spare crank sprocket that I have is definitely in better shape. Guess I’ll be breaking the timing belt back down. Should be pretty quick and I’ll post a more clear photo of the two compared to each other.

The washer guide is cracked. This sometimes happens when remove/install rusty washer/sprocket/crank pulley.
Thanks, Hiroshi.

Does that make this sprocket junk? The spare that I have has a much deeper and in tact washer guide, although the old washer is currently stuck inside of it.

Agree with Tony, you have a replacement, so no need to take a risk even if it still works.
although the old washer is currently stuck inside of it.
Be careful if you remove the washer, the washer guide may be cracked if you force too much.

The washer guide is cracked. This sometimes happens when remove/install rusty washer/sprocket/crank pulley.

That ring thing that has cracked and come off of the front of the sprocket, could that be something that happens when the harmonic balancer goes foo foo? The balancer should not be putting a radial load on what it's attached to, only a torsional load. I think. But when a balancer is coming apart, it will throw radial loads back and forth and those radial loads would bear on that ring wouldn't they?

That ring thing that has cracked and come off of the front of the sprocket, could that be something that happens when the harmonic balancer goes foo foo? The balancer should not be putting a radial load on what it's attached to, only a torsional load. I think. But when a balancer is coming apart, it will throw radial loads back and forth and those radial loads would bear on that ring wouldn't they?
That’s a good theory. When you see the movement it creates when it starts to separate, it’s all over the place. BUT, the movement is from the outer pulley and the center section is stationary secured by the 4 bolts which are further out from where it broke.

Could be too. That part is brittle, several factors would break it. I have seen this many time and I broke it by myself too. Using an impact wrench and a hammer to install/remove is one of the common causes.

Replacement gear time. This happened to me too. Check to see if you have a taper on the crank pulley washer. I put the narrow edge to the sprocket side on re-assembly just to be conservative.

View attachment 678331
- One of one
Nice call out, thanks! I remember reading that in your thread now that you mention it. I may end up with new parts here. I’ve been spraying the stuck sprocket/washer assembly with pbblaster every couple days before I try to separate them.

Tony,

This part- I guess they get stuck together often. I’ve seen several threads where the OP can’t find his washer or doesn’t know if it’s there or not. It almost seems like a part of the sprocket if you don’t know any different.

A0A75D27-88B3-4616-80A1-A30427418334.jpeg

I was bored so I went back thru my marketplace messages and found the mod list that the previous owner sent me from when I purchased the engine. I updated the build sheet with what I was planning on using. It also came with BC 280 cams and adjustable cam gears, but I replaced them with stock cams for now. Got a really great price on the engine considering it had a built head.

We have registered the little one for Tuesday/Thursday preschool starting next school year (August). I’m really HOPING this leads to some progress and fall “build” updates!

I’ve been really busy between work/overtime, side hustle(s), family vacation, and normal kids schedules. Trying to stay caught up on notifications is about all I can do lately. I have a short list of parts needed and high hopes!

Ripped the engine out of my friends broken Honda Accord this weekend. I’ve been storing it at my house since he moved out of state after it broke. Diagnosis was the counterfeit eBay/Amazon timing belt failed. Anyway he brought me this keychain he made on his 3D printer.

19D5D9E8-B005-4ED3-9B95-E24B60ABFF81.jpeg

A very unexpected and extremely tragic loss in my family ruined my summer. The only reason I’m making a post here is because I got a box from a supporting vendor today, and I’m really glad to have these pieces.

My little one’s school start date was delayed to next month, but maybe I will get some garage time in then. This order should get me to a point that I can either start a new list or get the engine stabbed in. This weighted shift knob feels super heavy, I love it!

Thanks for stopping by!

IMG_7804.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back