The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

91 GS-T Rebuild aka "Bumpy Johnson"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSFX8588

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 12, 2007
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
This project has been a long time coming. First stickshift car I owned, so it's only right to switch it to an auto. I didn't log anything here for a long time (14 months).

Shortblock:
Polished OEM crank
Manley H-beam rods/pistons/rings 9:1
Clevite 77 bearings
Ring gaps @ 0.021 0.025
Kiggly 6bolt girdle

Head:
Kiggly Racing Springs/Retainers
Stainless Valves
Evo Cams (for now)
Bosch 1650's (CNG Crown Vic)
Kiggly HLA

Turbo:
E316g.

ECU:
Megasquirt v3
Custom Arduino/CAN-Bus shield/ADC for more inputs into ECU for logging.
I have an ecu to run dsmlink, but I want to log a lot more parameters than is possible running dsmlink (limited ecu inputs).

I built the shortblock and head by myself. Which I didn't do a good job documenting. I won't mention what shop did the machining, but luckily I work with a great group of gearheads that informed me what a terrible job they did.

Attachments

• engine3.jpg
    engine3.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 83
  • engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 97
  • engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Still working on the teardown process. So far the interior is gutted, which I feel for most of us is fun to rip everything out. It's unreal how big the body-wiring harness is. It's got to weigh ~40lb total of just wires/connectors. FYI it runs from the fuse box behind the pass. headlight, under the radiator, up behind the driver's side headlight, through the fender, and into the dash. I had to hack it into 2 pieces inside the fender for easier removal. I'll be starting new from the megasquirt out. So these are just dead weight. 1 picture of the engine bay I could put up, it was dark where I work so I couldn't get any good ones.

Attachments

• 20140111_142943.jpg
    20140111_142943.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 71
I didn't know evo cams went in our motor aren't they completely backwards?????

Good question. The only reason I did it is because it was either those or my stock 1g cams. The motors both run clockwise and the CAS fits. There are some good forum threads explaining it. If I wasn't getting help from someone who knows their shit, and had them on the shelf as I was building the head, I wouldn't have done it. We had to degree everything in, which is good practice anyways. I'll update the first post with a (for now) LOL.

Last edited:
I think I had just watched American Gangster before I started the thread in 2012. It was the guy that died that Frank Lucas took over for. To make it sound meaningful, it has a colorful history. The car's been owned by a few people that have tried to make it go fast, including the head tuner a now extinct race shop. What does that mean? The wiring was a mess and the dash was cut in half at some point to put it on/off easier.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back