The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

Cool Video! 2G road trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubby? If so, Straight cut or heli gears?
We've had a bunch of talk about which is more reliable.
Great question. Mine are straight cut. My buddy had helical and the gear walked out the pump LOL. I really feel that for the helical they need the race shafts
 
Great question. Mine are straight cut. My buddy had helical and the gear walked out the pump LOL. I really feel that for the helical they need the race shafts
I haven't cracked open my case yet on this motor, I should do that tomorrow and see what it has. Also on my last motor.. you've got me wondering now. I mean, a thousand or more helicals are out there without a thousand failures and there's no shaft thrust, so the entire shaft would want to walk with it in a stock motor if it were a problem endemic to the shaft type in relevant 4g6x motors.
 
I haven't cracked open my case yet on this motor, I should do that tomorrow and see what it has. Also on my last motor.. you've got me wondering now. I mean, a thousand or more helicals are out there without a thousand failures and there's no shaft thrust, so the entire shaft would want to walk with it in a stock motor if it were a problem endemic to the shaft type in relevant 4g6x motors.
The helical cut causes separation at high rpms. 8.5k+ rpms. IF it has a balance shaft with helical cut gears idk if it'll move enough. Who wants to spin a balance shaft motor past 8.5k though?
 
they should have talked more crap about it. I want to feel like mechanical jesus when I daily drive mine

my opinion: trip was uneventful and not particularly memorable. should have pit maneuvered the rx8 at low speed in the snow to even the bill for the contest. tow extraction would have been atleast $800
 
Watched it already. Wonder what parts of the DSM Ben will be using and where? :cool:
 
For those of you that haven’t seen or don’t follow gears and gasoline, tomorrow is the first episode of the chassis swap!! So proud and humbled to have been a part of this project. I truly hope you all enjoy it!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
 

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Its a good thing that Zona was a V-band or it wouldn't have fit. Did you notice they had to "cock" it a little to clear the block? :thumb:
 
I really liked the new road trip series and the “build” before and am now following the real build after. I’m subscribed and really enjoying their content!

I watched one of their road trip series a few years ago in an Evo and STI. I gave them a lot of respect for taking those cars across the country but even more so now with these budget cars and then doing in the winter on top of that!
 
Loved the latest video. DSM crew showing up in force showing how to put together a car correctly.

Does anyone know what kind of digital torque wrench is being used on the bottom end install. Looks like a kobolt 3/8” model? I’m in the market to replace my 25 year old craftsman clicker model.
Had so much fun being a part of it. Yeah I do believe it was a Kobalt. I can verify for you.
 
I really like following along for the "Trials & Tribulations". :thumb:
 
Man Jesse, I sure wish I had known about this. I would have LOVED to take a week vacation and wrenched with you guys and learned even more.
I really enjoyed today's episode. Great seeing so many DSMers all working together, knowing what needed to be done, getting it done and showing IT AINT EASY!. :thumb:
Love it!
 
Man Jesse, I sure wish I had known about this. I would have LOVED to take a week vacation and wrenched with you guys and learned even more.
I really enjoyed today's episode. Great seeing so many DSMers all working together, knowing what needed to be done, getting it done and showing IT AINT EASY!. :thumb:
Love it!
Yeah man it would’ve been awesome. There were a lot of cooks in that kitchen. It was only three days. I was only there legit two days.
 
Been following the Video series. Can you guys come help me with my project? Haha Backyard mechanic here without a lift working on my car in a carport.

Just jealous of all the tools, lifts and support, also just being able to buy and drop in that turbo setup.

That Ep. 2 was great! Also had to explain to my wife what being a DSM’r means. I feel like it takes a certain type of person to love the platform and continue with it. Then when you meet other DSMrs, they get it, the same as you do.
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest Classifieds

  • For sale 2g 2g AWD auto trans case
    2g AWD auto trans case. No broken bolts or stripped threads. Bead blasted case will look new...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 2g 2g GST auto trans case
    2g auto trans case. With bearing plate and end case covers. Good condition. Trans was like...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • Wanted 2g 2g radiator support
    Im looking for a radiator support if anyone has one
    • Fundsm
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 4G63 3 inch Magnaflow SS high flow cat. CA approved.
    3 inch Magnaflow stainless cat. High flow. 18.25 inches. Flange holes are 4 1/8 center. Has...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 4G63 Race parts.
    Brand new seal in box Kigglys HLA 175$Kigglys 12 tooth billet crankshaft triggel setup 250$...
    • GST2012GSX
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back
Top