The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Archer Bros. Racing Talon Resurrection

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It is a two piece BBS wheel. You see them every so often pop up on E Bay. For a time I had been trying to buy another set for spares.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 693
Those are 16 x 8 inch BBS RS platinum wheels. Archer Racing use to sell them back in 1990-1995 for $500 each. They were very popular in the late 80's early 90s on many BMWs, Porsches, Corvettes and VWs and as you can see Archer Racing used them on all their 1st gen race cars.

The 5 lug 16 x 8 inch BBS RS platinum wheels weighted 17 pounds each. I believe the bolt pattern for our cars is 5-114. eBay use to sell a ton of these, not so much anymore. BBS discountinued them back in the 90's. These rims were re-issued in 2005 as the BBS Super RS from BBS Japan and came in sizes from 17-19 inch. The original German made ones came in 14-16 inch sizes.

Best bet on getting a true German made 16 x 8 inch BBS RS platinum wheel would be from a BMW, Porsche, or VW forum. These rims are still highly sought after. If you're looking for a similar look; BBS still makes the LM and RS-GT rims that looks as if they were inspired by the original RS rims.

Hope this helps.

-Richard Silva-
'93 :talon: TSi
O.G. Socal Club DSM

Who knows if you can get the rims that are on the #33 car?

Dude is this your car? I love the Donatello decal. Where did you get it? I so want two of them.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I want the stripped archer bros 2g chassis.. I would totally rock that in ST regionally... LOL

Very nice would like to see it racing again

arrowhead

It would be great to see the cars on the track together. I too am interested in what mods if any were done to the engines and the electronics. It seems the Archer's might have had some "tricks" up their sleeves when it came to racing in these "stock" classes.

This I have wonder since starting to build my talon since I raced against these guys way back then.
I dont think there are all the parts in these cars as they were raced, remember these were all factory backed efforts, suspension points, weight distribution, the ECU---injectors or for that matter trans and engines I wonder about all of that also since these cars were rare for their time no one could . look at them
and know what they were looking at.
It was a tremendous effort on their parts with very good drivers and I am glad that they may hit the track again.

arrowhead

I have seen several posters of this car! It is really cool to see it out again! I'll have to follow this closely!

Luke

The car is original; as it was when it finished racing in 1993. The car won the SCCA Class B championship in 1993 and then was owned by Archer until being purchase by the David Nielsen collection in Traverse City, MI. It was then purchased by Jim Dale in 2001 before I bought it in 2005. Jim autocrossed it a few times, but besides that it was not used at all since 1993. I have replaced all the safety equipment including the seat and belts, and done the timing belt and head gasket, but the car remains original. It has about 8,000 miles on the odometer. I did also have the transmission rebuilt after it failed at a track session several years ago. Even the electronics are as it was raced; HKS VPC, HKS EVC boost controller. At the wheels it dynos at 233/244 hp/tq at 14.5 psi.

Attachments

• Archer Talon at RA 10-07.jpg
    Archer Talon at RA 10-07.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 484
It would be great to see the cars on the track together. I too am interested in what mods if any were done to the engines and the electronics. It seems the Archer's might have had some "tricks" up their sleeves when it came to racing in these "stock" classes.

They definitely had a lot of tricks up their sleeve. I grew up in Duluth and was up at Archer's here and there when they were racing the 2G's. I've also been up in their parts rooms and there was some stuff that was high tech even in the mid 2000's. One cool thing I saw is they were experimenting with different types of fluid in the viscous coupler to change the diff lockup from front to rear. They were doing this back in 1991, I've never heard of anyone doing anything like that since. There was a lot of other really cool stuff up there as well, I'm sure it's long gone now.

my friend out of arkansas actually bought one of them as well. this one was raced in a no engine mod class, as it didnt have ANY engine work done. we ran it a hallet raceway outside of Tulsa, OK and it was good. ran with the spec miata on a Coma race(sp?), it has a welded or locker diff in it, and would FLY by all the cars in the straights LOL, but miatas corner so well LOL. it was good fun. i actaully helped him push it back up into the garage the other week, i think hes planning on making to a full race car. some engine mods, lots of suspension work etc.

this is a picture from the track, i think they ran a washer/restrictor in the coolant housing inside of a thermo. so it was taking FOREVER to warm up LOL, so we had to tape plates to the front in order to make the car get hot enough to not be puffin smoke LOL. absolutely love this car.

Attachments

• 61346_149877461712536_100000708499255_296143_7675423_n.jpg
    61346_149877461712536_100000708499255_296143_7675423_n.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 675
Is your friend in Arkansas Jim? I bought my #33 car out of Arkansas from him. At the time he owned the 1993 #33 car and also the 1990 #32 car, if I remember correctly. Does he still own the 1990 #32 car? Here are some pics I have that he sent me of the #32 car.

The #32 car was much more "stock" than the #33 car in terms of interior and mechanical work. I believe the series progressed over those years to allow more modifications by 1993.

Attachments

• 90 Top.jpg
    90 Top.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 90 RR Bobby Thrifty.jpg
    90 RR Bobby Thrifty.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 90 front w Hood up.jpg
    90 front w Hood up.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 270
that is the same car, and i believe JIM sold it to my friend Michael, who used to race Coma pretty heavily 15ish years ago. in his 1st gen RX7.
it has a few tranny issues LOL. but i think it only had like 3000 miles on it.

Hey Jim.... yes, there have been a few DSM's at RA, but with three boys racing quads, a business to run, etc.. the #33 car has not been to a track in a few years!! Maybe this summer??

Scott, hope to see you out there this season, that would be sweet. I haven't been on the track in like 3 seasons myself, for other reasons. I doubt my car will be on track this season but I have not ruled it out. We shall see how things go.

that is the same car, and i believe JIM sold it to my friend Michael, who used to race Coma pretty heavily 15ish years ago. in his 1st gen RX7.
it has a few tranny issues LOL. but i think it only had like 3000 miles on it.

I was actually the one who was going to purchase the #32 from Jim before your friend bought it, and, well, I lost my job and had to back out of the deal. Still pretty bummed about it to this day. As much as I'm happy to see it on the track....this car is a serious piece of DSM roadracing history and I'd really hate to see him take the car too far away from the way it was raced. There are so many DSM chassis out there....why not just build one to his specs?
schemauer runs his but it maintains identical looks to when it raced the '93 season.
Anyway, he owns the car now and is free to do as he likes, but it would be a bummer to see the car altered. There are so few of these cars around.

I agree it would be a shame to chop up the #32 car; but that's just my opinion. I have preserved the #33 car as it raced years ago.

These cars can still make fun track day cars just as they were constructed years ago - with appropriate safety updates and maintenance done. The Thrifty #32 car was really the first road racing DSM that I remember as a kid.

As was mentioned above, there are a lot of shells available for cheap that could be built up if needed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back