The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 TSi awd - Autocross Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A few more....
_DSC7804.jpg
_DSC7952.jpg
_DSC7958.jpg
_DSC8252.jpg

SCCA NNJR autocross opening day, 6/28/2020.

Some STIFF competition as everyone was itching to get out. 1st in class and 12th in pax. 6 of the top 12 in PAX were SCCA National SOLO Champions and the rest of us except 1 are multi time national trophy winners. REALLY happy with these results as I know the car still has a bit more speed left in it. 11th fastest RAW time out of 99 drivers and 5th fastest on street tires.

Lets hope the car holds together for the rest of the year. I'm super excited to see how it turns out. :)

Car looks great in those shots, and looks like you were having a ton of fun with all that contact patch!

Thank you, Luda.

265/35/18. The Hoosiers that will go on are 285/30/18 and I'll try to squeeze 295/30/18 next season. :hellyeah:

Actually, I MUST fit the 295's next year. The competition in DSP class (BMW's and RX8's mainly) are all on 305's or wider.

Last edited:
MSNE - 7/5/2020

What an incredibly hot and humid day. Got to the venue at 6:30am to help set up and didn't run until 3rd heat, around 1pm. At least I was able to work on my tan. ROFL

Good stuff - Results were ok. 3rd in class and 5th in PAX. 9th raw time out of 83. My father was also able to come out. Always fun to hang with him.

Bad, but not terrible stuff - My tires are on their last leg as it is and the 100 degree temps did not help. Lots of sliding and fighting understeer due to lack of front grip. Had a few DNF's due to missing gates and also spun the car on run 6. Haven't done that in years. I guess I was over due. :D And, it looks like my accusump tank took a turn for the worst. The emergency pressure relief valve kept blowing off on my runs. Whats worse is that I didn't notice and now my hatch area is covered in oil spray. :ohdamn: Doing a little research, it seems like the internal oil/air separator has failed and the unit has gone into a hydrolock. This shoots the internal pressure up real high, triggering the valve to pop open. A little worried that the system was not working at all during the event, but the motor seems fine otherwise. The 40 mile drive home went pretty harmlessly.

No events for me until later in August so this gives me time to replace the tank. Time to put my big boy pants on and get the hoosiers mounted onto the other wheels as well. E85 tuning is also going well. If I can find the time, i'll also switch over to S/D. That should free up some much needed low end power.

MSNE - 7/5/2020

What an incredibly hot and humid day. Got to the venue at 6:30am to help set up and didn't run until 3rd heat, around 1pm. At least I was able to work on my tan. ROFL

Good stuff - Results were ok. 3rd in class and 5th in PAX. 9th raw time out of 83. My father was also able to come out. Always fun to hang with him.

Bad, but not terrible stuff - My tires are on their last leg as it is and the 100 degree temps did not help. Lots of sliding and fighting understeer due to lack of front grip. Had a few DNF's due to missing gates and also spun the car on run 6. Haven't done that in years. I guess I was over due. :D And, it looks like my accusump tank took a turn for the worst. The emergency pressure relief valve kept blowing off on my runs. Whats worse is that I didn't notice and now my hatch area is covered in oil spray. :ohdamn: Doing a little research, it seems like the internal oil/air separator has failed and the unit has gone into a hydrolock. This shoots the internal pressure up real high, triggering the valve to pop open. A little worried that the system was not working at all during the event, but the motor seems fine otherwise. The 40 mile drive home went pretty harmlessly.

No events for me until later in August so this gives me time to replace the tank. Time to put my big boy pants on and get the hoosiers mounted onto the other wheels as well. E85 tuning is also going well. If I can find the time, i'll also switch over to S/D. That should free up some much needed low end power.

Awesome! Makes me want to get out and have some fun driving! : D Is that pretty much a stay in 2nd gear the whole time run? Looks like a blast!!!!

Another set of of PF01's or have you decided on the 18x11 wheel yet? Just curious what the options are.

My NT03's and PF01's are both 18x10.5. They have different offsets, but I use spacers to get the wheel placement where I want it. 2g's need roughly +10 to +15 offset with wheels this wide, depending on which tire you're using. I'm not exactly sure what i'll be doing with the 11's yet. Zero offset maybe? I'm hoping to borrow a buddy's set of 18x11's for testing purposes before I decide to buy.

Last edited:
Awesome! Makes me want to get out and have some fun driving! : D Is that pretty much a stay in 2nd gear the whole time run? Looks like a blast!!!!

Autocross is more fun than most people imagine. I highly suggest you get out and try it.

Your typical autocross course will have speeds to reach between 50 to 60mph. Some regions have access to big, wide open venues, like where I usually run with MSNE and SCCA NNJR, and speeds will be higher. National events are also typically only held at much larger venues. More powerful cars will reach 70+mph. Luckily for me, the Talon's stock 2nd gear gets to between 65 and 67mph, depending on what size tire I use. A bit more if needed by bumping up the rev limiter. There are a few newer cars that will require a shift to 3rd because 2nd tops out in the low 50's mph. I'm glad the Talon is not one of them.

Awesome Build! been getting bits and pieces from each build to come to a Frankenstein Style build but clean!!!

Any new updates for the coming year?

Unfortunately, no. My compressor nut on my brand new T25 backed out while I was at Pocono raceway in October 2021. It was the end of the season and life got in the way so the car sat parked for a few months. I hadn't even realized what happened until I started to tear the motor down. (sounded like I spun another bearing in the motor) I bought another engine, but its still bolted to the stand.

I plan on replacing the turbo and then doing some tests with the motor running. Its a relatively fresh build, so hoping nothing is wrong with it. Inspection of the oil shows no metal flake or glitter so i'm crossing my fingers.

Unfortunately, no. My compressor nut on my brand new T25 backed out while I was at Pocono raceway in October 2021. It was the end of the season and life got in the way so the car sat parked for a few months. I hadn't even realized what happened until I started to tear the motor down. (sounded like I spun another bearing in the motor) I bought another engine, but its still bolted to the stand.

I plan on replacing the turbo and then doing some tests with the motor running. Its a relatively fresh build, so hoping nothing is wrong with it. Inspection of the oil shows no metal flake or glitter so i'm crossing my fingers.
I assume T25, cause... spool time?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back