1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

98 TSi awd - Autocross Build

Rating:
5/5,
Year:
Model/Trim:
Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. Black95TSIawd

Black95TSIawd Proven Member

Joined Jan 28, 2003
    Dirty, New Jersey
    Glad you enjoyed it. Its certainly been an exercise in both joy and sorrow. ROFL The engine is not sorted out, but I am currently working on its replacement.

Pulled the motor out as trying to diagnose the issue while still in the engine bay is difficult. However, I have scraped the idea of repairing my block. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone labs and they confirmed there is bearing material in the oil. The sample I sent in had roughly 100 miles on it plus 4 autocross runs so it whatever issue there was/is is still going on.

I sourced a 97 long block from DSMPartout.com and will utilize the shortblock along with all my relatively new parts. (and a few other new items)

Empty Engine Bay.jpg

Hard to imagine that the block on the right is the bad one.

Dual Stand.jpg

This motor came out of a 97 FWD automatic that was running a 14b turbo on stock fuel. Needless to say, the motor was not stressed. A cold compression test conducted by Norbert at DSMpartout showed 155psi across the board. I could live with that considering the circumstances. Allegedly, this thing has 84k miles on it, but that is pretty hard to believe. It was leaking oil at the valve cover, oil pump gear, castle plug, OFH, and oil pan and generally looked filthy. A proper cleanup was necessary before moving on.

Scrubbed down with WD40 Degreaser and oven cleaner. :D

Scrubbed shortblock.jpg

I did start to strip it down and the first order of business included measuring end play. Happy to report that we do NOT have crankwalk. :hellyeah:

No crankwalk.jpg

5K  8

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    184.4 whp · 251.0 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  2. Black95TSIawd

Joined Jan 28, 2003
    Dirty, New Jersey
    Meanwhile, I've been wanting to rebuild my T25. I'm not so sure if the turbo is bad or not, but there was ALWAYS oil in the compressor inlet and my intercooler pipes. Quite a bit more than I would have liked. In my search, I came across a BRAND NEW mitsubishi T25 turbo on ebay. I lowballed the crap out of the seller (don't we all?) and believe it or not, he accepted. Proud to say that I have a brand new T25 on my hands.

New T25.jpg

Currently waiting on a ton of new parts, bolts, gaskets, etc. from extremepsi and rockauto with a few delivery confirmations for today. With the MLK 3 day weekend fast approaching, I'd hate to sit idle with nothing to do. :idontknow: :thumb:

5K  8

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  3. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    Same here

588  5

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Road Race Build 3K  23

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

433  4

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
  4. Black95TSIawd

Joined Jan 28, 2003
    Dirty, New Jersey
    EE4BF5F7-1145-4BC5-9151-52F93393AE17.jpeg

Getting there.... slowly, but surely.

5K  8

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  5. silvreclips

silvreclips Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Looking good. When is your first event this season?

Autocross Build 308  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. Black95TSIawd

Joined Jan 28, 2003
    Dirty, New Jersey
    I’ll start with the season opener, but probably co-driving another car. With the epic meltdown of my old motor, i’ve had to replace EVERYTHING. Pump and case, ofh, lifters, head washed, contaminated accusump, etc, etc. :cry: I’m ru$hing as fast I can, but its looking like the car won’t run until May.

5K  8

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD