The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 98 eclipse spider weird problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielWitGST

Probationary Member
Feb 1, 2020
spokane, Washington
I have a 98 eclipse with a 4g63t. I had bought this car from a used car lot. it looked like it had a lot of cosmetic issues but ran fine. the car lot said the oil filter was leaking and they just tightened it up but i should get a new one. so i did an oil change and got a new wix oil filter. I was sitting at a stoplight and i herd what i thought was a vacuum line blowing off. When I pulled over i had no power to the wheels. I shut off the car and, popped the hood look to see if it could be a simple fix. THAT WAS NOT THE CASE. The oil filter had almost completely come off and drained all the oil out. I tightened the oil filter back on cleaned up the oil and had the car towed back to my house. there is no compression now so now were rebuilding the engine but, what would cause the oil filter to come off like that to begin with.

The oil cooler housing center bolt comes loose from the oil filter housing and wont let the filter tighten properly, pull that center bolt out and clean everything in paint thinner by soaking it in there and then lock tight that center bolt when you put it back.

The oil cooler housing center bolt comes loose from the oil filter housing and wont let the filter tighten properly, pull that center bolt out and clean everything in paint thinner by soaking it in there and then lock tight that center bolt when you put it back.
Let me elaborate further. The filter housing is an oil/water cooler. A mini radiator. I've seen them get mangled. I've also seen people overtighten that center bolt and crush the unit causing coolant and oil to mix. Inspect it carefully for damage before just tightening that bolt. Follow factory torque specs and if in doubt replace the unit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back