The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

4G63T Head oil port mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusSVO

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
4G63T Head Oil Port Modification

This is a simple and effective mod done to the oil port from block to head.

I have found out a restriction can occur when excessive milling of the head has been done.
Resulting in low/poor oil flow through the cylinder head that can cause lifter tic, cam tower gaulding, and in some cases on turbo engines that feed the turbo oil from a port on the head, to cause the turbo to fail.

Appox mod time with head of engine is 2 mins.

Stock oil port….

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Take a die grinder with an aluminum burr and grind and chamfer the oil port, while staying inside the gasket-sealing ring. (I find a ¾ base tree burr works best)

So the end result looks like this.

I prefer this to be done before the head is resurfaced.

I hope you find this useful.

Last edited:
Wow, glad to see this old thread resurfacing. BogusSVO always posts matter of fact, no-nonsense, educational info on here. New members as well as old but not particulary skilled members like me have some good info to suck up in here. I just went through the whole thread just for the fun of it and I must say how freaking delusional some people can be and how blindfully soaked in their own misleading information they can be, it just scares the hell out of me the idea to sound just the same.

On a side note I was wondering how much would add to the cost of resurfacing a 4g63 head having this mod done properly milling off the bottom of the galley the same or more amount of material that has been removed from the surface of the head rather than grind it away. I don't know but there's something to a freshly milled surface that just clicks with me...

So hows this look?

I feel they did go a bit too far, but it does not go past the gasket.
If this could cause any problems what will they be?

To me, the tail of the port work looks pretty damn close. Lay your gasket it on it, take a pic and post it.
If it's going to crack its going to crack on that left leading edge, just don't over torque your headstuds, and keep your fingers crossed.

So hows this look?

I feel they did go a bit too far, but it does not go past the gasket.
If this could cause any problems what will they be?

You will be fine as long as it's within the gasket. Torque has studs to proper specs.
They did go a bit further than needed but you will be ok.

Last edited:
I'm pulling my head off tonight to replace the head gasket. Can I do this mod with all the cams and everything installed if I'm careful? Or is it just asking for trouble if I accidently get some metal shavings in the oil / head?

Second question. What can I set the head on while I'm cleaning the block for the head gasket? A bunch of towels maybe?

Flip the head over and set it down on a piece of cardboard or rags or something to soak up the oil. Keep the gasket surface up so it won't get scratched. You'll need to be very careful when porting the oil passage so you don't get metal shaving inside. I'd recommend removing the cams and the oil distribution block and backflush all oil passages when you're done porting. Use a can of brake parts cleaner at full blast.

I'm pulling my head off tonight to replace the head gasket. Can I do this mod with all the cams and everything installed if I'm careful? Or is it just asking for trouble if I accidently get some metal shavings in the oil / head?

Second question. What can I set the head on while I'm cleaning the block for the head gasket? A bunch of towels maybe?

Unless you plan on pulling the whole thing apart and cleaning all the oil passages i wouldn't even consider doing this. One stray piece of metal can ruin the head.

You could just re-install the valve cover after pulling the head. Clean off the port surfaces, spray and dry off the deck surface, then use masking tape to cover the entire deck surface and the port holes. then take a small piece of rope and make a knot, cut out oil port area in the masking tape, set knot of rope down the oil port hole, then push some playdo or putty in the hole to block the shavings from getting in. Port it, then pull the putty out after cleaning the area after porting using the rope. Remove all tape and wala.

Since I have a 1999 GSX and will be taking off my head, would it be necessary to do this mod? I don't have a BS delete. Idk if I will in the future or not, but for now I don't. I also never had lifter tick issues. The whole motor is the original motor in the car btw. I know on Jafro's video he states you wouldn't need it if you don't have a BS delete or don't have lifter tick issues, but I do plan to get my head resurfaced. I'm not sure if the depth of oil port on my 99 head is more "shallow" than say, a 6 bolt head.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back