The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Head oil port mod idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
I can't seem to find this anywhere, but I think I have an idea for a head oil port mod. The reason for this is because I had my head milled 2 times by my machine shop since they did not mill it to the correct RA for an MLS head gasket. When I built my engine, I did not even think about grinding out the oil feed port on the head and now even with 3G Topline lifters, I am still getting lifter tap at idle. So thinking of a way to fix this oiling problem without pulling the head off, I started looking at an old head to see if the port could be tapped from the outside....

Low and behold, there is a port right below the front t-stat housing bolt that leads directly to the oil port. It appears to be how Mitsubishi drilled that hole for the oiling port. Would it not be possible to simply screw in an adapter in place of the allen head plug, then feed that port via a teflon lined hose from the oil filter housing? Makes sense to me, but I could be just dreaming of saving 10+ hours of downtime....

My issue is I don't have the time or money to pull the head off the car and grind down this passage and what not. I drive this car every day to work and can't afford to not be able to put it back together in a weekend. I am also running an MLS and have no clue how many times it can be reused. This would be the second use on it unless I pull the head to do this mod. I would also have to do this mod without having the head milled again as I can't afford to have it taken to a machine shop. So, replacing the plug with an adapter and a hose sound to be an easy and cheaper fix if it is even possible.

I can't seem to find this anywhere, but I think I have an idea for a head oil port mod. The reason for this is because I had my head milled 2 times by my machine shop since they did not mill it to the correct RA for an MLS head gasket. When I built my engine, I did not even think about grinding out the oil feed port on the head and now even with 3G Topline lifters, I am still getting lifter tap at idle. So thinking of a way to fix this oiling problem without pulling the head off, I started looking at an old head to see if the port could be tapped from the outside....

Low and behold, there is a port right below the front t-stat housing bolt that leads directly to the oil port. It appears to be how Mitsubishi drilled that hole for the oiling port. Would it not be possible to simply screw in an adapter in place of the allen head plug, then feed that port via a teflon lined hose from the oil filter housing? Makes sense to me, but I could be just dreaming of saving 10+ hours of downtime....

This isnt to far fetched. This guy might be onto something:aha:

"dont be lazy do it right"

well hold on a second guy, what if he discovers a new secret trick that makes this better than the traditional fix?

Oil filter housing feed, this port is delivering cool, fresh filtered oil to an external "home-made" tapped source in the head as a means of "extra oiling" to the valve-train. This dont really sound bad in theory.

I doubt one could rig the head to accept the extra external oiling line with out having to remove it to do custom magic on it

The man who could explain it to a Tee is Bogus. He's a wiseman with ford thunderbird on avatar. He is the smartest guy on this site when it comes to this kinda topic

You would not have to tap anything as long as the threads where the allen plug comes out are able to accept another fitting of some kind. I work at a gasket shop and we have ALL kinds of adapters that go to JIC (AN fittings) and we can also make teflon lined hoses like what is used to feed the turbo on a 1g instead of from the head. From what I can tell, it appears to be a BPP (British parallel pipe) thread. I have the allen bolt out and will see if I can match it up with something at work.

This has already been done. We did this over two years ago when my friend redesigned how his engine was oiled. He blocked off all the water and oil ports in both the head and block. This was to help keep the head gaskets together for five mile runs down the salt. It was to keep the fluids from mixing if the gasket started to let go. Over 800hp for five miles is tough on these little engines. So he redesigned the paths the water and oil took. He feeds the head with a -6 hose from the oil filter housing. The only fluid transfer between the head and block was the factory oil drains. Many passes and many dyno pulls and this mod worked like a champ. And the head had more oil pressure than ii had ever seen in 15 years of playing with dsms.

Biglady, I think the key with what you said is that he blocked the oil and water ports between the head and block, basically making 2 oil circuits one for the block and one for the head.

Now with what the OP wants to do, may work, but what concerns me is how the oil flow could "fight" in the transfer slot in the bottom of the head. There is no check valve there.

So you have the factory oil system feed the mains then flows up the rear oil galley port to the transfer slot then into the head, there will be some pressure drop from feeding the mains.

Now with the external mod brought up, pulling the oil galley plug and running an external line to the OFH. Yes this would bring more oil to the head, but also more pressure.

At the point you are wanting to bring in, I doubt all the external oil feed would go up into the head, but split some up into the head, and some down into the block. it will be a tug of war depending which feed has the higher oil pressure at any given time.

Now would the the external oil feed backflow down the vert oil galley in the block? if yes, how far? down to #5 main? Could this cause damage to #5 main?

Yes I would say the external oil mod could be done. But there is a risk with it that may cause an engine failure.

So in the end, it is your mod, your engine, and your money at risk.

If you decide to do it, keep us all posted.

In theory, the oil feed line from the oil filter housing will always have more pressure as it has no where to "bleed off" from. I have thought of many different ideas on how to do this, and have also thought about installing a larger 3/8 mpt adapter that would split into 2ea -4 (1/4") JIC's. One would feed the turbo, the other would feed the head. If there is already a restriction at the oil port on the head, the pressure would be much less at the factory feed than the new feed. Installing a check valve would prevent "back pressure" if the block pressure ever was higher for some reason, but the oil is all being fed from the same source. The left over oil pressure from the oil pump after all bearings in the bottom end is what the head gets. Increasing the oil pressure at the head could, in theory, help "even" the pressure between the block and the head as well. By installing an inline reducer, that could help prevent too much pressure...kind of like what is already done with turbo's fed from the oil filter housing. Just getting it right the first time is the problem.

Oil will follow the path of least resistance and since the head is an "open drain" at the end of the oiling cycle, oil should, in theory, only flow through the head. If making 2 separate oil passages, one for the block, and one for the head, worked, where would the oil go after oiling the bottom end bearings? If it was a dead stop at one end, that would significantly increase oil pressure in the bottom end as all the pressure would have to bleed from the bearings.

This isnt to far fetched. This guy might be onto something:aha:

"dont be lazy do it right"

well hold on a second guy, what if he discovers a new secret trick that makes this better than the traditional fix?

Oil filter housing feed, this port is delivering cool, fresh filtered oil to an external "home-made" tapped source in the head as a means of "extra oiling" to the valve-train. This dont really sound bad in theory.

I doubt one could rig the head to accept the extra external oiling line with out having to remove it to do custom magic on it

The man who could explain it to a Tee is Bogus. He's a wiseman with ford thunderbird on avatar. He is the smartest guy on this site when it comes to this kinda topic

It is not for any performance or reliability gain. only for a hack job fix because he cant do or afford to do it right. like others have described a mod similar was accomplished but for performance reasons and the head passages were blocked off. so the head was removed for that reason.

Im all for thinking outside the box but this is ridiculous.

just do it right and don't be lazy.

One of the dumbest things I see stated by DSMer's. What constitutes "right?" Most of what is known to "work" on these cars was done at a time by people not doing it the "right" way, myself included. If it works, and works well, than it's right. If it doesn't work, then it's not right, and we thank a fellow DSMer for exercising their time, energy, and money to contribute to the DSM community.

Why would you come in with a blanket statement like that with no facts or experiences cited to back it up?

DSMnoobsause said:
It is not for any performance or reliability gain. only for a hack job fix because he cant do or afford to do it right. like others have described a mod similar was accomplished but for performance reasons and the head passages were blocked off. so the head was removed for that reason.

Im all for thinking outside the box but this is ridiculous.

Lol, I like your negative thinking. So, the next time you want to "half ass" something, thinking about your statement you just said... "It is not for any performance or reliability gain. only for a hack job fix because he cant do or afford to do it right." I guess me going with a 68HTA instead of an 13G is a hack job. It is not supposed to be installed on my car. I guess feeding the turbo from the oil filter housing is a "hack job" since it came stock feeding though the head. I guess installing a block off plate in the throttle to bypass the coolant valve is a "hack job". I could go on and on.... Some person at one time had to try something different and see if it worked. I am sure many doubted their idea, but when it worked, it changed the whole perspective.

In your above statement, you say "It is not for any performance or reliability gain.". So I guess this means that not feeding the head with enough oil / pressure has nothing to do with reliability? Have you done this mod before? Did you prove it did not work? Why do you think I posted this idea on the forum? I wanted to see if anyone else has tried this and possibly failed at it. I would not want to follow in the same footsteps as them. Enough said on this...

Lol, I like your negative thinking. So, the next time you want to "half ass" something, thinking about your statement you just said... "It is not for any performance or reliability gain. only for a hack job fix because he cant do or afford to do it right." I guess me going with a 68HTA instead of an 13G is a hack job. It is not supposed to be installed on my car. I guess feeding the turbo from the oil filter housing is a "hack job" since it came stock feeding though the head. I guess installing a block off plate in the throttle to bypass the coolant valve is a "hack job". I could go on and on.... Some person at one time had to try something different and see if it worked. I am sure many doubted their idea, but when it worked, it changed the whole perspective.

In your above statement, you say "It is not for any performance or reliability gain.". So I guess this means that not feeding the head with enough oil / pressure has nothing to do with reliability? Have you done this mod before? Did you prove it did not work? Why do you think I posted this idea on the forum? I wanted to see if anyone else has tried this and possibly failed at it. I would not want to follow in the same footsteps as them. Enough said on this...

please describe the oiling issue the 4g63 platform has? o wait it doesn't if properly put together. the reason you do the oil port mod 1 and 2. Milling the head to much and takes the pocket out of the head. and 2 when using ARP studs the studs will restrict flow.

the reason a lot do not want to run the turbo feed line from the head is because it is dirty from running the entire course of the oiling system.
blocking the FIAV is mostly due to eliminating hot coolant warming the intake. and also for failed components.

the only reason you are getting mad is due to the fact i called you out and you don't like it. the reasons you are going about this are because you don't want to take the head off and do the oil port mod. that is the proper way to do this with the issue you are having.

I understand that you think this is some breakthrough idea but it really has no need as it doesn't address an engineering flaw.

first thing is to isolate the problem, second is to come up with an idea, third is to execute the idea and take note of results. you have yet to isolate a true issue with the 4G63 platform. you have only isolated you being Lazy.

I like to keep all my oiling on the inside of the engine. One less problem. You lose that oil line you have two big problems first a huge mess and second a greater chance of destroying something in the engine. If this is a purpose built race car where you are always doing detailed maintenance then this is less of an issue.

Since I personally (not the idea) have been bashed by an above user, I have decided to not comment on this thread anymore. This was an IDEA, I figured I would see what I would get as far as comments on the idea, not people telling me I am lazy and practically calling me an idiot for even thinking about it.

I like to keep all my oiling on the inside of the engine. One less problem. You lose that oil line you have two big problems first a huge mess and second a greater chance of destroying something in the engine.
How do you oil your turbo then? Nevermind, don't answer that since I will not be commenting on this thread again.

first thing is to isolate the problem, second is to come up with an idea, third is to execute the idea and take note of results. you have yet to isolate a true issue with the 4G63 platform. you have only isolated you being Lazy.
Thank you for pointing that out. I will not think of any more ideas for a 4g63 or the vehicle since I am "lazy" nor will I ask anymore questions on this forum as I would just be "bashed" again. Thanks!

Tim - Owner of RoadSurge

Since I personally (not the idea) have been bashed by an above user, I have decided to not comment on this thread anymore. This was an IDEA, I figured I would see what I would get as far as comments on the idea, not people telling me I am lazy and practically calling me an idiot for even thinking about it.

How do you oil your turbo then? Nevermind, don't answer that since I will not be commenting on this thread again.

Thank you for pointing that out. I will not think of any more ideas for a 4g63 or the vehicle since I am "lazy" nor will I ask anymore questions on this forum as I would just be "bashed" again. Thanks!

Tim - Owner of RoadSurge

everyone thinks of bad ideas sometimes. its how to react to the mistakes that makes you.

Tim - Owner of RoadSurge
You are taking internet commentary entirely too serious.
Instead of picking up your toys and leaving the sandbox, how about you do your mod and prove your theory? Prove the other kids in the sandbox wrong.

Tim - Owner of RoadSurge

Never bashed you, I just like keeping things as simple as possible keeps the headaches down to a minimum.

To answer I oil it from and how it was oiled from the factory. No way of keeping it any more simple than that.

Glad you got your panties in a bunch. Think someone needs to eat a snickers :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back