The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 97 camshaft sensor on a 96

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Condemned

Probationary Member
Feb 1, 2020
West Palm Beach, Florida
I have a 1997 gst. I recently put a 1996 gst engine on it but it doesn't want to start up. Can I just put the 97 camshaft sensor on the 96 head without having to tap the cam? Please help. Many people have different opinions on this matter. Whats the easiest way?

It should be a mostly bolt on affair. The aluminum 97 sensor housing replaces the rubber coated plug on the end of the head. The only issue is if it has a stock 95-96 intake cam which will not have the bolt hole for the 97 sensor's cup fitting. The locating slot will be there but the cam will have to be drilled and tapped for 8mm x 1.25 thread. Or, just borrow over the 97 head's intake cam with the sensor cup and retime the engine.

It should be a mostly bolt on affair. The aluminum 97 sensor housing replaces the rubber coated plug on the end of the head. The only issue is if it has a stock 95-96 intake cam which will not have the bolt hole for the 97 sensor's cup fitting. The locating slot will be there but the cam will have to be drilled and tapped for 8mm x 1.25 thread. Or, just borrow over the 97 head's intake cam with the sensor cup and retime the engine.
Unfortunately it is a stock cam from the 96. Do I have to remove the metal plate from the 96 cam gear after putting the 97 cam sensor on or can it stay on there?

You could swap the plug wires over and it would probably start for you, the 95'-96' uses an inverted cam signal, the 97' ecu wont play well with it in stock form, you could use a 95'-96' ecu and that could work also.

You could swap the plug wires over and it would probably start for you, the 95'-96' uses an inverted cam signal, the 97' ecu wont play well with it in stock form, you could use a 95'-96' ecu and that could work also.
Swap the plug wires? Please explain. I read on an older thread too about having to fix the firing order and injectors.

Swap the plug wires? Please explain. I read on an older thread too about having to fix the firing order and injectors.

Wire in the the 96 sensor which is under the intake cam gear and swap the firing order and it should fire up, you don’t need to swap the injectors, just the plugs and you will be set.

That requires rewiring the cam sensor
Yeah, now that I think about it he would have to splice the three wires for the cas, but thats not a bad price to pay instead of pulling a motor mount, timing belt tensioner, tensioner pulleys and timing belt and then re-assemble it all in the car!

I should have mentioned all these options instead of just answering your question literally. If it were me, I'd either use a 95 Eprom ECU or I'd swap to the 1G CAS, but if you just want to get it running, swapping the plug wires from coil to coil should work fine. Kudos to @motomattx, @miguelmcv and @007jimmy for reading between the lines.

I tapped the 96 cam to use the 97 cam sensor but now there is no spark. Sometimes one or two give a little spark but that's it. I got new spark plug wires and coils but it won't start. No codes come up when I plugged up the scanner. Any suggestions?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back