The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

92 Galant

Year
Model/Trim
Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

KCDsmDude

Proven Member
Oct 11, 2020
KANSAS CITY, Missouri
Will be changing the springs in like 2 hours or so, and will test it out after that. Assuming you want the log to see the settings for catching idle. Biggest concern at the moment is being able to control boost.

When I try to open the log where I made a pull, it errors out and won't open that one, but here is one where it dies.

Attachments

• log for vegas.elg
    260.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

GST with PSI

DSM Wiseman
Jul 27, 2005
San Diego, California

KCDsmDude

Proven Member
Oct 11, 2020
KANSAS CITY, Missouri
Any tricks for getting the oil pan off? Have all bolts out and it still won’t pop off.

looks like there was a ton of gasket sealer on it. I’ve taken a small flat head and beat it in between the pan and block a few spots arojnd the edges, no luck. Tried pulling as hard as I can and all I did was move myself, this thing is on…

KCDsmDude

Proven Member
Oct 11, 2020
KANSAS CITY, Missouri
The 6466 ended up exploding and sent oil all over the bay, and then it let shiz down the oil drain into the pan, and also shot metal flakes from the compressor wheel into the intercooler core…. That’s basically a 6-8000 dollar blow up.

AFR were fine, 28 psi, 3rd gear… boom.

sent turbo off to PTE and hope they warranty it, had maybe 50 miles on the thing.

As for the motor, there are metal flakes and chunks of metal in the pan. I shut the car off immediately when it blew up.

what are the chances these metal flakes got pumped through the motor? I’m hoping they are just by product of draining down from the oil drain.

I have the oil pan off and found this chunk of metal… this is the first time I’ve had to open up any part of a motor so I don’t know what I should, and should not be looking for.

anyone want to advise? Should I tackle trying to rebuild the motor or send it off?

im about to pull the valve cover and see if I can see any metal flakes.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

KCDsmDude

Proven Member
Oct 11, 2020
KANSAS CITY, Missouri
Small update. Had someone put a deposit on the rolling shell + trans + dshaft + extra parts I have for this, but they had a family emergency come up and needed the cash back. I refunded their deposit and let the idea of selling this settle... and I think if I do sell it now, in 2-3 years I'll regret it.

PTE warrantied the turbo, they were unable to tell why or what caused it to eat itself from the inside out. But for shits and giggles, here is a pic of the wheel before I sent it out. A guard was used for all street driving, and PTE didn't find anything in the turbo itself.

The additional bad news -
1. my lower IC piping and core are shot - tons of metal flakes on the inlet, but the outlet was fine and no shrapnel in any other pipe. I'm fairly confident it did not get in through the throttle body.
2. flakes and metal made it's way into the pan (see above). The oil pickup tube has very minor shavings in it, almost zero, and extremely fine at that. No metal flakes in the head of the car when I pulled the valve cover. The larger metal pieces were from the CHRA of the turbo that made it's way down the oil drain; the shortblock of the car LOOKS to be okay and I can't find anything wrong visually after inspecting it for 30-40 mins with a flashlight.

I've spoken with a couple of others who have had issues/shavings and the general consensus is.... put the oil pan back on, pour a couple quarts of oil through the motor and let it drain out - re-check the pan for shavings, if clear, send it.

If I put it together and the motor does eventually let go, then oh well. At that point in time I'll consider cutting the losses again.

With that being said, I'm looking for a ETS Race 1g intercooler - 3.5-4" thick, or another similar core that has both inlet/outlet facing the firewall. Also, the 2g arrives in around 3 weeks.. just in time for the 6466 :)

KCDsmDude

Proven Member
Oct 11, 2020
KANSAS CITY, Missouri
Going to be measuring some more when I get home, but this looks like it will fit with a little modification.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com Raven Fabrication RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds