The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

92 Galant VR4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Man what you have done with this car is amazing!!!!….. can I drop mine off to you ? Lol
Thanks man i really appreciate it. Unfortunately Jeremys car was the last car i am going to work on to that degree. I hope your build works out and we can eventually take a cruise together. If those coilovers aint gone by spring i might snag them up LOL

That shifter still has to feel like crap---I didn't notice, or didn't see pictures of this until now---you're missing a washer in there between the wave spring and the inner shifter bushing, which will leave a lot of slop. Reach out to me via email, and I'll send you one for the cost of shipping.

Additionally, I doubt that has the metal shifter stop that I've started using on them several years back (send a picture of the other side and I can confirm). It's a good thing to have, not only for "feel" but to prevent over-extending throws. It's a critical aspect which is why Fidanza (after copying the setup, but leaving the stops off to lessen production costs) failed in their attempt.

I so love seeing this car being brought back to life being my intro to Mitsubishi back in the day---it's looking great! Thank you!
Thanks email sent

Random meet

PXL_20221029_064552889.jpg

Thanks man i really appreciate it. Unfortunately Jeremys car was the last car i am going to work on to that degree. I hope your build works out and we can eventually take a cruise together. If those coilovers aint gone by spring i might snag them up LOL

No problem, don’t worry about it I’m just be lazy…. Are you still tuning?

Cruises are a definite. I have a small group of friends with vr4s and a 1g talon that all are waiting for nice weather. Grid life is coming to lime rock again this year and we will all be going

Last edited:
No problem, don’t worry about it I’m just be lazy…. Are you still tuning?

Cruises are a definite. I have a small group of friends with vr4s and a 1g talon that all are waiting for nice weather. Grid life is coming to lime rock again this year and we will all be going
Yes i'm still tuning and working on a few tidbits for this platform that i want to make on my freetime. I Know a few people that still have these so maybe once it's nicer we can get something organized for a meet somewhere in-between us

Well It's been a bit since an update but everything seems to be getting in the way of me making progress on the car. Well i've been driving the car but the front just doesn't feel right and i've been gathering parts slowly. I picked up everything for the front end minus a tubular subframe and new suspension which is also coming this summer. My clutch was also slipping under heavy load so i decided i might as well change that as well since i have a third of the job done by having to remove the axles for everything else. I for some reason thought i was still in my hayday of being able to do big jobs quickly so i decided to do it at work on a friday after a long day and since some of my co workers were staying to do some cad work it was perfect. Well i was wrong LOL. I started at 8pm and didn't leave till 8 am in a uber since my other car was at home LOL. I came back saturday night to finish everything up. I ended up finding some pretty interesting finds. The PO used a stock disk with a act PP and fidanza flywheel 2nd i figured why the clutch just never felt right with dis engagement the divet were the slave cylinder sits on the old fork was almost .250 deeper than the new fork i picked up:rolleyes:. Got everything buttoned up and left my car at work. I remember the slave looking wet during reinstall and told myself i would get a new one in there during the week since the clutch felt terrible after the new clutch went in. I installed the new one and didn't notice a big difference. So i started going through everything the the part that connects the master cylinder rod to the clutch pedal assembly was stripped. I always was suspect of the amount of play with it threaded into the rod and sure enough that was the issue. I have a nice billet one i caded up a while back but just have been so swamped i haven't been able to get it machined in the mill. Anyway i needed a quick fix so i took everything out fixed the threads which are m8x1.25 by the way and tacked a nut onto the piece that was fully stripped. That fixed the issue so now i'm waiting on an alignment. On a positive note the company just closed on a sick piece of property with a private strip to do car things on LOL

PXL_20230428_145439396.jpg

PXL_20230429_032405148.jpg

PXL_20230429_070235558.jpg

PXL_20230429_050617419.jpg

PXL_20230503_220224976.jpg

The galant has come a long way since you grabbed it !!! Looks like a perfect spot for some car meets on the new property

Well It's been a bit since an update but everything seems to be getting in the way of me making progress on the car. Well i've been driving the car but the front just doesn't feel right and i've been gathering parts slowly. I picked up everything for the front end minus a tubular subframe and new suspension which is also coming this summer. My clutch was also slipping under heavy load so i decided i might as well change that as well since i have a third of the job done by having to remove the axles for everything else. I for some reason thought i was still in my hayday of being able to do big jobs quickly so i decided to do it at work on a friday after a long day and since some of my co workers were staying to do some cad work it was perfect. Well i was wrong LOL. I started at 8pm and didn't leave till 8 am in a uber since my other car was at home LOL. I came back saturday night to finish everything up. I ended up finding some pretty interesting finds. The PO used a stock disk with a act PP and fidanza flywheel 2nd i figured why the clutch just never felt right with dis engagement the divet were the slave cylinder sits on the old fork was almost .250 deeper than the new fork i picked up:rolleyes:. Got everything buttoned up and left my car at work. I remember the slave looking wet during reinstall and told myself i would get a new one in there during the week since the clutch felt terrible after the new clutch went in. I installed the new one and didn't notice a big difference. So i started going through everything the the part that connects the master cylinder rod to the clutch pedal assembly was stripped. I always was suspect of the amount of play with it threaded into the rod and sure enough that was the issue. I have a nice billet one i caded up a while back but just have been so swamped i haven't been able to get it machined in the mill. Anyway i needed a quick fix so i took everything out fixed the threads which are m8x1.25 by the way and tacked a nut onto the piece that was fully stripped. That fixed the issue so now i'm waiting on an alignment. On a positive note the company just closed on a sick piece of property with a private strip to do car things on LOL

View attachment 694894

View attachment 694895

View attachment 694896

View attachment 694897

View attachment 694899
Hey, man. Just read through the entire thread, really cool shit!
Some time in the late 90s or so another technician had *the ultimate sleeper* and I'd never heard of, or payed attention to them before....it was a mint all black Galant! That car has stuck with me all these years and your build and story has been fun to read up on. Labor of love and like you said, it's all worth the effort once you get to drive it! Nice work, man! Sick fab skills, too. Dropping those dimes, son!

You driving it to the shootout this year?

Rob

The galant has come a long way since you grabbed it !!! Looks like a perfect spot for some car meets on the new property
I didn't even think of that. We should be moved in by summer so maybe i can make that happen.
Hey, man. Just read through the entire thread, really cool shit!
Some time in the late 90s or so another technician had *the ultimate sleeper* and I'd never heard of, or payed attention to them before....it was a mint all black Galant! That car has stuck with me all these years and your build and story has been fun to read up on. Labor of love and like you said, it's all worth the effort once you get to drive it! Nice work, man! Sick fab skills, too. Dropping those dimes, son!

You driving it to the shootout this year?

Rob
Thanks man appreciate the kind words. Yeah that's the goal to drive up to ohio for the shootout
Very strange that the clutch is the way it was. Gonna be a whole new machine when you’re done!
Yeah the clutch was strange for sure. I plan on redoing my rear similar to how you redid yours to be done with it and finally move back to the motor.

So i realized after doing the rack that the wheel moved but didn't realise how bad it was. Brought it to a local mechanic to see he was able to align it but told me the steering is off to much and it would require to disconnect the universal joint and get it back into line. Took the car home and over the weekend i tried to see if i could just remove the hub adapter and straighten the wheel that way temporally for a car meet that saturday night. Well when i took the nut off it felt really tight like the threads were damaged . So not thinking about it to much i straightened the wheel and tried to reinstall the nut and that was the wrong move LOL. After i broke this i gave up went inside and made a drink. I reached out to john from performance partout and was able to get another column and all was well. It came middle of the week and over the following weekend i started ripping everything out to swap out. I was stuck with a issue that the new column was not allowing my key cylinder to disengage and go into the lock position. After going through it for awhile i found the issue. Inside the key cylinder lock housing there is a lever that rests on the bottom of the lock button and when pushed in allows the back of the housing to spin and enter the lock position. Well my button was too worn on the replacement column key housing and not allowing enough throw. So i had to swap my old housing over. This was a first for me but pretty straightforward. These have security bolts installed. I was able to drill and extract them pretty easily now i was up about reinstalling new security bolts that i found on ebay for 14 a pop. I decided a simple cap bolt would suffice. Went to ace hardware picked up a set for 3 bucks. The head was slightly larger then i needed so i threw it on the lathe real quick and took it down .025. Got everything installed and was finally able to bring it to the same shop so they could finish the alignment.Overall i'm happy i can drive the car in peace but i'm not really happy with the alignment and will have to bring it to another shop since i can't find a good shop were i moved too. Need to source a volvo electric pump so i can finish the front and get rid of this eye sore of a hydraulic pump.

PXL_20230506_224026536.jpg

PXL_20230507_021909775.jpg

PXL_20230513_000703496.jpg

PXL_20230513_001330675.jpg

PXL_20230515_181451701.jpg

PXL_20230515_181514561.jpg

PXL_20230515_204831234.jpg

PXL_20230515_205125852.jpg

Well i have been dailying the car around breaking in the clutch. I noticed the car was burning oil a lot more and it wasn't really boosting. I helped alleviate some of the burning a few months back when i redid the drain line but it has gotten worse again. When i checked the turbo when i was doing the clutch i noticed it was hard to spin by hand. So i figured it was time to take the turbo out and replace it. I replaced it with a HX40 in a bep housing. During removal i found the issue that ultimately killed the old PTE i had in there. The PO slabbed a bunch of RTV on the return line gasket to the pan and when tightened down it got squished out and essently made the return line opening at the pan less than 3/8th:ohdamn:. After 20 minutes of cleaning all the old rtv i threw in a Morrison -12 return line kit. I made my own gaskets and used no rtv. I was going to buy new hardware for the manifold to turbo but 8 bucks a washer is a bit much. I found a alternative through mcmaster as well as the correct JIS bolts. The conical washers needed to be turned down a hair but that took all of two minutes. I'm waiting on a offset coupler to throw my old fp intake on. I did take the car for a spin and no more smoking or smell of burnt oil. I'll probably start cleaning the engine bay more and start thinking of how i want to fabricate my catch can. I also want to move the battery but still keep it up front so i need to figure out where i want to put it.

PXL_20230529_025235724.jpg

PXL_20230529_232603412.jpg

PXL_20230423_230050299 (1).jpg

I can’t wait to drive mine everytime I see the progress on yours. The battery relocation is the same dilemma I’m having but I’m thinking just putting it where the jmf relocation is designed in the back passenger corner of the Cross member

I can’t wait to drive mine everytime I see the progress on yours. The battery relocation is the same dilemma I’m having but I’m thinking just putting it where the jmf relocation is designed in the back passenger corner of the Cross member
I was thinking of the cross member as well. I seen some of the honda guys mount them in back of the bumper which looks really clean as well but would require me to lengthen the cables. I might cad something up tonight so i can cut it out tomorrow. Maybe i can update by the weekend with the finished bracket. What's left on yours?

I was thinking of the cross member as well. I seen some of the honda guys mount them in back of the bumper which looks really clean as well but would require me to lengthen the cables. I might cad something up tonight so i can cut it out tomorrow. Maybe i can update by the weekend with the finished bracket. What's left on yours?
Yeah my crx I ran a small xs power and just made a bracket behind the bumper on the passenger side (was trying to find a pic but must be in an old phone) and I just got a relocating kit for the galant and wasn’t sure what I wanted to do.

I just need time
Waiting on an oil fitting then just spend a day finishing it up

IMG_2001.jpeg

70554052130__1ED4488D-E688-4A37-99FE-ED873D2EA5E8.jpeg

Yeah my crx I ran a small xs power and just made a bracket behind the bumper on the passenger side (was trying to find a pic but must be in an old phone) and I just got a relocating kit for the galant and wasn’t sure what I wanted to do.

I just need time
Waiting on an oil fitting then just spend a day finishing it up

View attachment 697578

View attachment 697579
That looks clean back there.

So after my last post on here i ended up getting sick so i got delayed. I ended up cutting up a battery tray like i said i was going to do
PXL_20230602_214411960.jpg

I got it tacked up and welded the bottom completely and just 4 stitches on the inside of the tray.
PXL_20230602_223629866.jpg

So i removed the battery and started on my intake i ended up going with a 45* coupler to a carbon fiber 45 to a filter and it worked out quite well.
PXL_20230603_203329086.jpg

Then the fun started i couldn't get the battery to fit how i wanted on the subframe it was too tall and was hitting everything plus the AC line. So then i checked in back of bumper but wasn't a fan of a full size battery there so i had to move it to the back. I placed a couple of next day orders on amazon and off i went on sunday to move it to the back. I wasn't sure if i wanted to keep my tray or make a box or what. So i just ran the wiring and left the battery loose in the back until i could figure out my life LOL. I wanted to get rid of the fusible link on the battery so i ended up getting a 200 amp fuse right off the battery then a 1-3 distribution block for the engine bay with anl fuses. So i used one of the bolts that holds the rear bumper in the truck as a ground and didn't think much of it again i was in a rush for some unknown reason. I go to try and turn the car on and i get nothing i was a bit of a loss. I decided to call it a night i was shot and had to get ready for a early morning meeting on monday i'll get back to it monday night. I was thinking about it all day and realized i missed a wire on the block. I go try again and i start to crank over and nothing again. Long story short the PO had a rubbery lining in the trunk which wasn't giving me a proper ground fixed that issue but now the car would start but wouldn't stay on. I thought either fuel pump relay or inline fuse sure enough it was the inline fuse. I change it nothing again. I hooked up my laptop i wasn't getting a proper signal and reading -29 with the car in the on position. My worst fear is i might have damaged the ecu with my stupidity with my grounding mistake. I wake up early on tuesday to remove the ecu and send it out to tom and dave to get checked out. I got home tuesday night and mounted the battery in the rear with the tray i made. I used SS 1/4-20 rivnuts into the floor for anchors and then drilled and countersunk the tray and off i went. It looks really clean and got a nice hold down.
PXL_20230610_004202560.jpg

Sorry for the mess i still need to tidy up but i like testing everything before i tuck wiring away. On wednesday i wanted to finish putting my interior back together but that wildfire happening in canada f***ed us and turned all of NY to this weird strange orange huge with a AQI of 340 in the city and 270 were i live. Safe to say i went straight home after work and didn't touch the car LOL
PXL_20230607_191617706.jpg

The following day it cleared up and i got the clear bill of health from dave at ecm. When i got home i started really digging though the wiring and found my issue. When i was test fitting my battery must of been yanking on the map sensor pigtail since mine is mounted to the firewall. I got the signal wire to come loose and that was the cause of my issues:ohdamn:
PXL_20230608_232806615.jpg

So now comes today i made a new pigtail and wired it in to test and long and behold i have a car that runs again LOL. The white wire you see is for the power belts which i still haven't routed into the fuse box. By sunday i should have everything tidied up and hopefully a new filter. The one in there was for mock up. So now again i'm torn what i should do for a catch can. Should i make something custom that wedges in-between the fuse box and filter or just get a vibrant 2 port and just mount it on the firewall?:idontknow:
PXL_20230610_004630732.jpg

This is why I love following this build …. I was just thinking of a way to clean up the wiring for the battery and fuse box and boom you do it and do it cleanly!

This is why I love following this build …. I was just thinking of a way to clean up the wiring for the battery and fuse box and boom you do it and do it cleanly!
Yeah man i hated the fusible link. I think all in all i spent under 100 including the wiring for the battery.
I like the rivnut idea for the battery tray. I’ll have to steal that one
Just make sure you use the appropriate length since they vary depending on the thickness of the material there going to be installed into.

Finally driving the car after the last updates. On sunday i took it for the whole day which included a good mix of city and highway to see how the car behaved. I found a couple issues one of them being the clutch feeling very inconsistent and making noises. So during this week i looked into had a friend in the car pushing the clutch to see what was happening. The block was separating. I know i was missing the 12 in the back of the transmission but this was excessive. Nest day got home at a decent time and went over all the bolts and 2 of the 3 14mm were loose but didn't look loose with a visual inspection:banghead:. I tightened those and then i wanted to figure out how to get the back 12 to work. 2/3rds of the ear was cracked off so i didn't have much to work with. I got 1.5 aluminum angle .250 thick and drilled a offset hole so it could catch the remaining stub of the broken ear and it was a success the car felt worlds better. So i've been very happy with the car so i've been driving it but the exhaust has had a slight rattle at certain rpms which were driving me up the wall. Today after work i took an hour and added 2 hangers now no more rattle:pray:. Been keeping a eye on voltage since the battery swap and still a solid 13.8 while driving at night with everything on so that's good. I'll be adding a restrictor to the turbo since i get slight puff after a pull. I found a had a tare in the driver side cv boot so i'll be taking care of that then that will be the last thing to mess with besides a oil change. When i get back from vacation i will start tuning it to see how i like the turbo. So far from the partial pulls just to feel responsiveness its meh. At least for how i drive at my current ageLOL.

PXL_20230615_225109495.jpg

PXL_20230615_000027642-EDIT.jpg

The PO used a stock disk with a act PP
This was pretty common back in the day. ACT used to basically use stock clutch discs on their clutches, then started heat treating them and changing/adding springs.

I used to sell them all of their Mitsu discs/pressure plates/throw out bearings for several years.

This was pretty common back in the day. ACT used to basically use stock clutch discs on their clutches, then started heat treating them and changing/adding springs.

I used to sell them all of their Mitsu discs/pressure plates/throw out bearings for several years.
I figured as much and a friend older than me told me the same thing when i showed him. First time i ever ran into personally though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back