The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

92 Galant VR4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figured i should give a little update. Nothing to big since i've just been enjoying the car which is nice to say. I picked up the driver side axle a few days before my birthday and my vacay but didn't have enough time to install before i left. So i figured i would do it today. The torn boot made a mess and a half. So after spending 20 mins cleaning everything i threw the new one in
PXL_20230708_203645406.jpg

Shortly after this i made a concentrated spray of simple green and hit everything again as well as the whole inner fender to really clean everything. I was content with it. Figured i had no real plans for the day so i would spend a little bit on the engine bay. I normally use a pressure washer if i have the motor out but i didn't like the idea of it with the wiring still intact. So i used the same concentrated simple green and sprayed everything that had a layer or oil or grime. Then refilled the bottle with water and rinsed everything off like that. I used the air gun to dry everything off. It still needs work but much better than before since it's been well over a year since i really touched the engine bay
PXL_20230708_213023458.jpg

While i was on vacay which was during my birthday the guys at the shop had a chance to machine the billet clutch pedal bracket that attaches from the master rod to the pedal. I thought it was pretty cool they even 3d printed a case for it. I'm almost inclined to keep it as a gift since i appreciate little things like that.
PXL_20230629_034924316.jpg

I also finally hit 172,000. Feels nice to finally be putting real mileage on the car. We all spend so much time and money on these things just to able to drive them like newer cars and it feels so nice to actually be doing it. I can say confidently the galant hasn't let me down once. I even used it to give my daily a boost when the battery died.

PXL_20230707_003124775.jpg

All in all i'm super happy with the car. The next things will be adding the rear speakers and a small sub to the car. Finally buying the overly priced volvo pump to finish the electric PS swap. Fixing never ending leaks the more i drive the car LOL. Also it's been over a year since i have had the valve cover so maybe install that. I've had a spare motor at the machine shop which i might just finish to throw something with fresh seals into the car. Well see by the following update. Feels nice that my only real concern is having to wash the car:D

PXL_20230517_235347094.jpg

Well small update. I was actually able to make it to the shootout this year in the galant. I have been fixing little things here and there and last week just doing maintenance before the long drive but it all worked out in the end. The drive was 9.5 hours with fuel stops each way and yesterday got caught in a nice storm for about 3 hours LOL. Only issue i had was my biss needed to be adjusted on the way back. I have always wanted to take one of my 4g cars up to ohio but something always came up. It's nice to finally cross it off of my bucket list. I ended up going with 2 of my friends and we all brought our significant other with us which meant we drove the whole thing LOL. Not sure if i would drive the galant back up there by myself again but well see how i feel next year.

IMG-20230916-WA0067.jpg

IMG-20230916-WA0066.jpg

IMG-20230917-WA0089.jpg

IMG-20230917-WA0035.jpg

I'll try to find some pictures of her first trip to the SO and send them over to you.

Soooooo LOVE that she's made that trek again!

I'll try to find some pictures of her first trip to the SO and send them over to you.

Soooooo LOVE that she's made that trek again!
That would be amazing if you could find those. She made the trip with no issue and even took me to work the following day:thumb:

Small update since my trip to ohio. I wanted a better mount for my fuel lab fuel filter so i designed something a little beefier then the one fuel lab supplies and gets mounted into the firewall with rivnuts. I printed it out of abs and the finish is beautiful. I've been testing it for almost a month just to see how it stands up to all the vibration and heat before i offer these to other people but i'm happy with the way it came out.
PXL_20230921_191224756.jpg
PXL_20230922_175721508~2.jpg

I also had a oil leak that got stronger since the trip. The stud that goes into the oil galley was leaking ever so slightly months back but it got worse. So in my head i figured i would take it to work and throw a helicoil into that hole since the threads felt shotty and i had 2 other holes that were starting to give out. A job that i though would be no more than 30 mins ended up taking a day and half LOL. The stud that goes through the oil galley wasn't coming out. When i finally yanked it out the stud and helicoils came out with it:cry:. So apparently when the PO tried fixing this he messed up the original helicoil hole and ended up drilling it to fit a larger helicoil and then threaded the m8 helicoil into that one. So the hole measured out to being .485. I wasn't sure how to fix this on at the moment so i took some time to weigh out my options. Tap the current hole and use a loctite and a plug to seal it up or clean the hole out and use high temp jb weld. There was very little merial left so i figured i would try jb weld.I prepped up everything and cleaned the head and applied a liberal amount of job into the hole. I put everything back together and when tightening up the manifold 2 of the studs that were fine before decided to give up. I gave up for the night and removed everything and left it for the next day. Following day fixed the stripped holes and long and behold no more oil leak:hellyeah:. This is a fix for now i really need to finish my other motor or at least my other cylinder head i have laying around.
PXL_20231005_182910899.jpg
PXL_20231005_205444174.jpg
PXL_20231006_224047370.jpg

Well i've been dailying the galant since the shootout and it has made me want to fix a few of the small things that have been annoying me so i have been able to chip away at them slowly. I finally ordered some rear speakers but the PO butched the rear deck lid. I didn't want to butcher it anymore then it had been. So i made adapters to fit 6x9 speakers in the rear. The first set was made with neon green filament and wasn't meant to be a permanent thing but it has grown on me LOL.
PXL_20231020_230321934.jpg

Next on the list was to finally install the FP red i got over a year ago LOL. I made an adapter to reuse my intake since it was all relatively newish. I made the ID .015 smaller for a tight fit and made the OD .100 bigger for a snug fit as well. I ordered a new feed line with a FP inline filter and picked up another Morrison drain line kit. By far my favorite return line kit i've used and i'll keep buying them for every turbo i buy moving forward.
PXL_20231023_211000274.jpg
PXL_20231027_171255260.jpg

I'll get some more pics once we get another nice day. But intal opinion without redoing the tune is this turbo feels amazing and the new aero compared to the older reds i've tuned feels super responsive even at light load. I'll update as i continue to chip away at making the car my rendition of a perfect sleeper.
PXL_20231019_223728930.jpg

Last edited:
So a few things have been going on since the last update. I blew a section of my endtank out LOL. I ended up overboosting and it gave out. It was a very simple repair and had it fixed the same night.
PXL_20231031_220854671.jpg

PXL_20231101_010402732.jpg

I also have been playing around with my adapter i made for my turbo to keep my 4" intake and i am much happier with how it came out. No more fighting with it being right up against the lower rad hose.
PXL_20231103_151823645.jpg
PXL_20231103_151830406.jpg

Next i wanted to redo my feed line in my fuel system. I had -6 originally but this is also a PTFE line which has a smaller ID then regular AN hose. I went with a -10 which has a 1/2 ID which would be similar to -8 in regular AN hose size. I also switched to a different fuel filter and went with a 10 micron SS filter element. I had a spare fuel rail laying around so i welded on two fittings and called it a day. I was tempted to order a nice rail but that would only be for looks and i'm not up to that point in my build where i care to much about that.
PXL_20231112_200258210.jpg

PXL_20231112_200324776.jpg

PXL_20231112_201311517.jpg

Also finally washed since ohio LOL
PXL_20231112_211854312-EDIT.jpg

Small but meaningful update. I finally installed my valve cover that i powdercoated 2 summers ago LOL. I used female orb fittings and welded it from underneath to have no visible welds from the outside. Then got radium engineering low profile swivel orb to an fittings. Used PTFE line again since i'm getting decent at make them now LOL. I ended up going with a vibrant gen 3 catch can. I still want to make custom one i've been talking about. But unfortunately the shopis in the middle of finally moving so i'm swamped currently. I installed this last night after work since rain was on and off but it was surprisingly warm so i said why not. I did have to fix to stripped holes but that was simple since i already had a helicoil kit from when i fixed some other stripped holes a few years back. I ordered a pack of SS flanged bolts in 25mm. I trimmed 5mm for the middle and timing belt cover bolts and the rest of them i gave them a little heat treatment to match with the valve cover.
PXL_20231202_181823940.jpg

I also spent an hour today cleaning the engine bay since it's been a few months. I got a weldon regulator awhile back shortly after redoing the feed line since i wanted a bigger return orifice.
PXL_20231202_175345312.jpg

There is still more i want to do but i'm no longer in a rush so when it happens it happens.

Small but meaningful update. I finally installed my valve cover that i powdercoated 2 summers ago LOL. I used female orb fittings and welded it from underneath to have no visible welds from the outside. Then got radium engineering low profile swivel orb to an fittings. Used PTFE line again since i'm getting decent at make them now LOL. I ended up going with a vibrant gen 3 catch can. I still want to make custom one i've been talking about. But unfortunately the shopis in the middle of finally moving so i'm swamped currently. I installed this last night after work since rain was on and off but it was surprisingly warm so i said why not. I did have to fix to stripped holes but that was simple since i already had a helicoil kit from when i fixed some other stripped holes a few years back. I ordered a pack of SS flanged bolts in 25mm. I trimmed 5mm for the middle and timing belt cover bolts and the rest of them i gave them a little heat treatment to match with the valve cover.
View attachment 714650

I also spent an hour today cleaning the engine bay since it's been a few months. I got a weldon regulator awhile back shortly after redoing the feed line since i wanted a bigger return orifice.
View attachment 714652

There is still more i want to do but i'm no longer in a rush so when it happens it happens.
That Intake pipe is really nice. Whole bay looks great!

Finally got around to ordering the volvo pump each time i slept on them on ebay they went up 50 bucks LOL. I ordered all the fittings. I'm going to actually include links for whoever is looking to do this to their car. It's not a new thing but i finally had time to do it and it's a nice upgrade from the old system. I did not have time to take detailed photos but if your doing this kind of mod this is all pretty self explanatory.

These are the adapter fittings for the rack and volvo pump. The M16 is for the pump and the M14 is for the rack. The low pressure line is also a M16 but i ran regular return line hose for that. The return line i used a sunsong fitting with a 90* to run the line close to the firewall and then the frame rail.

I personally ran -6 ptfe line for the high pressure line from rack to pump. I ran the sunsong fitting to keep it simple and use a regular 3/8th return line you could source from autozone.
The volvo pump pump gets input for how much to assist via can. Obviously our cars don't communicate like that. I lot of people just run the power to the communication wires to power and get full assist all the time. Some have it wired in to a rotary knob.I used a guy from Portugal who has a board to control assist via gps and it works beautifully.

Next is powering the pump. It is super amp dependent. In my personal car with a 90 amp alt its fine but regular driving and turning while in motion. I did log the voltage during idle and in my driveway and it was able to drop it from 14.1 to 13.0/12.8. In motion while driving it only knocked it down .5/6 volts. I currently have it wired to the battery in the back with solid strain copper 10 gauge wire and a 40 amp fuse. I will be redoing all the wiring to the alternator since i plan on switching to a 200 amp single wire alternator from mcr. I'm still up in the air on how i want to redo the wiring but i will include a link to the alternator.

As for driving impressions . I loved it. It really gave it a modern car feel and the gps based assist was nice. I wasn't a big fan of the rotary knob to have to adjust all the time.

All in all well worth the endeavor. I'm including a current engine bay shot. I will be redoing my bracket for my coolant reservoir so it sits parallel to the body line where it is sitting.

PXL_20231223_075322950 (1).jpg

Next up is getting rid of silicone tubing and barb fittings.

Figured i would update on the car since its been a few months. The power steering pump died and then i got another one from the seller which was DOA. So that turned into a fiasco which i eventually lost because i didn't return it in time and now i'm stuck with a dead pump. The car has just been sitting in the driveway so i finally turned it on 2 weeks ago and drove it to work since it had rained and washed all the salt off the floor. Fast forward to today i took the car to work and it was a nice day out so i was ripping on the car on our private runway and the motor finally let go. This motor didn't owe me anything and i was surprised it had lasted as it did considering the way i found everything else on the car butchered up. I was pretty bummed out so didn't investigate to much besides looking for the hole in the block. I've only lost 3 motors in the past 20 years so i'll take it LOL. I'll look into the cause when it gets warmer out and turn the block into a coffee table for my office. In the meantime i'll be on the lookout for either another short or long block. I'll also be calling my machine shop and see how booked he is since he has my spare block and parts. If anyone has some leads on something PM me and hope to have the car back up and running by may the latest.

PXL_20240301_224636432.jpg

Pump is refurbish-able. I found a e-bay pump and Rich found the rebuild kit. Rich powder coated the parts it to make it pretty and rebuilt the pump to make it work like new.
IMG_6721.jpeg

Bummer about the block - no fixing that - time to build a replacement.

Pump is refurbish-able. I found a e-bay pump and Rich found the rebuild kit. Rich powder coated the parts it to make it pretty and rebuilt the pump to make it work like new.
View attachment 723586

Bummer about the block - no fixing that - time to build a replacement.
Thanks for the heads up on the rebuild kit but i'm using a volvo EPS not the oem one. I mean i could fix the block if i truly wanted to and found the chunk that broke off but it's not worth my time.Let's see if i can get this car going by the end of the month 🤞

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back