The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 7bolt swap to 6bolt ?s

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntmanAndLittleDi

Proven Member
Nov 12, 2014
Russell, Kansas
We just experienced a little piston ring failure on our 2g. (I think, not 100% sure) The car still runs, but is putting oil onto #4 spark plug. While driving around in the truck having a family meeting on the topic, we saw a gutted 1g on a trailer behind a shop. Talked to the owner & he said "Take it, just bring my trailer back." Motor has a rod knock & trans has a gear out, but it's an awd car. Seeing as this 1g has the interior stripped and has been modified for a track car (roll caged, doors welded shut, no glass), we thought about rebuilding the motor and mating it inside of our existing setup. Just the motor. We'd like to keep the 2g head (unless the 1g is preferred?) and as much other 2g as possible. Are there any limitations to this idea? Like certain sensors or water pump? Anything that I'm not thinking of? As a side note the end hp range that we'd like to accomplish is 550, so if there's anything on this 1g that'll work better than it's 2g counterpart (like the throttle body), please let me know. For the beginning I'd like to just build the motor heavy and add on around it down the road. I'm picturing it as being a walk in the park, so don't burst my bubble too hard LOL. All comments and ideas are welcome, but keep in mind I haven't had time to look into 1g info just yet (only owned one for an hour LOL).

Why not take it all? Shell and motor/trans! If I were you I’d test to determine 100% what the oil issue is.

Why not take it all? Shell and motor/trans! If I were you I’d test to determine 100% what the oil issue is.
We're taking it all, just not using it all. The talon is awd and manual trans whereas ours is fwd and auto trans. Not really looking to do an awd conversion, or manual conversion (the wife can't drive stick, but she's a great driver so I refuse to take that from her). As for our 2g oil problem, we'll get to it eventually. Everything just fell in place so quickly with this 1g it was hard to say no. Two days ago we saw oil on #4 plug, today we found a free 1g, tomorrow with luck we'll have the junk 3g out and the 1g in. We didn't tear into the 2g because it's still running and moving, which makes life grand when you have 1 driveway and only a 1 car garage, but own 3 vehicles (soon to be 4) and someone else's car all in the way.
BTW, anyone want a cheap 3g for parts? LOL

If I could, I'd snag both the 3g and 1g shell from you, haha.

GL with the 6 bolt swap , if you search that underlined section you'll have tons of threads and info.

Long story short, you can use the 7 bolt head, but need to match the head stud holes to the 6 bolt studs/bolts (7 bolt- 11mm, 6 bolt- 12mm), and figure out a crank trigger setup for the 6 bolt block. Kiggly crank trigger may be the ticket there.

There's more info out there for the other parts, but that will get you started to search.

Go with the 6 bolt block, 2g head combo. You'll have to drill the head bolt holes in the head just a bit larger since you'll have to use 6 bolt head bolts. All parts attached to the block will be 6 bolt part, minus the engine mount (2g modified), and I've always used the 2g main water pipe and thermostat housing. You'll have to be a little creative for turbo water lines, but that's not hard.

Last edited:
I got an email in to Kiggly, waiting for a reply. I just basically told them what I have & what I want to accomplish. Came back here to make an update post and write down some more sponsor names so I can get more emails out. And yea, that search for 6 bolt swap, I'm still reading through the results. It's a Lot LOL. Thanks for the help.

Depends on your plans, if you plan to go all out on power go with the 6 bolt head. Use all 2g sensors and motor mounts other than the crank and cam sensor, instead use the 1g cas to provide both to the ecu, if you have a 95 or 96 2g you will need to swap the coil wires and the injector pins.

Depends on your plans, if you plan to go all out on power go with the 6 bolt head. Use all 2g sensors and motor mounts other than the crank and cam sensor, instead use the 1g cas to provide both to the ecu, if you have a 95 or 96 2g you will need to swap the coil wires and the injector pins.
Planning on stopping around the 550hp mark, but probably still leave some wiggle room so we aren't stressing anything at that point. And we have a 99 2g.

Think we're going with 1g head and block. Did some snooping on other builds & like seeing lots of them keeping the stock crank for high hp setups. I'm a little torn between the compression rate goal though. If stock 1g is 7.8 and stock 2g is 8.5, but the most common rebuilt is 9.1, I'm not 100% sure on any of them. Mainly because I'm wanting to rely on boost/fuel to increase the hp down the road whenever 550hp gets boring LOL. I looked into Jackson Auto Machine and like the 2 stage block setup with the 3 stage head setup. Not to mention how easy & somewhat cheap you can find the individual parts for. This brings me back to the CR choice, because all the available parts are only $20-$30 different from 8.5:1 to 9.1:1. (There are Very little parts available for a built 7.8:1 motor, mostly stock applications.) I like the idea of the 9.1 having a little more giddy-up when not in boost, but am perfectly fine with the idea of being a little sluggish on the start in favor of having more boost capabilities later on as is with the 8.5:1. Is there really that much of a difference between the two though? Am I going to notice a difference while putting around town at 550hp in a 8.5cr and wish I had 9.1cr? Or get bored with 550hp, open it up to 750hp at 9.1cr and wish I had 8.5cr? Just trying to get a feel for things before I set my mind on one thing or another. As a side note, I did call the local airport and got the ok through the city to purchase aviation fuel, but it has to be in a 55gal drum when I get it & not directly into an automobile. They have two fuels on hand here, one at 146 octane and the other at 162 octane. Dilute that with some regular gas, probably some extra lubricant, and should be good to go! Still waiting for the ethanol plant to call me back about buying straight ethanol from them. Hehehe

why not just build your 7 bolt? Sounds like either one need rebuilt anyway and you already said you aren't planning on doing an awd conversion. Sounds like needless work to go 6 bolt. I probably have some stock pistons and rods laying around if that's all you need. While you are in there, knock the oil squirters out, drill and tap for plugs and you are good to go.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back