The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Keep 7bolt turbo or swap for 6bolt na

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myristica

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2011
Antwerp, Europe
Hey all,

I got myself another DSM. It's a 1G AWD from 1992 with a 7 bolt block (turbo).
I also have a spare engine lying around, a 6bolt NA.
Now I'm wondering if I would be better off with keeping the 7bolt turbo, or swapping it with the 6bolt NA. I guess everything would fit to make it a 6bolt turbo. I know there are a few differences with NA engines like compression and such.. or would it be more challenging than I think do make this swap work?
What would you guys do?

Last edited:
There is generally nothing wrong with 1G 7-bolt engines aside from the stigma of being 7-bolt engines.

On the one hand, the swap should be very direct; there will be very few, if any, surprises. Depending on your goals, it may be wise to upgrade the non-turbo pistons to something actually designed for the increased cylinder pressures.

On the other hand, leaving the 7-bolt in there isn't much work at all. :)

Why would you go to swap in another motor? Is the 7 bolt in the car currently bad? Unless it needs major machine work to fix, keep it. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

If it's destroyed, toss in some forged pistons/rods on the 6 bolt block, throw it in, and go.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back