The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A 7100 rpms

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It is hard to answer that question because, while a new motor could do 7000rpm (provided it was capable of that), the same motor 10 years later might let go. too many variables, parts, age..
hell even the exact same two parts new can vary -- one handles something, the other not so much.

generally, if you have revved too high, it does not take too long to show itself. but, at the same time, perhaps the high oil pressure induced by the high rpm dislodged something which is now reducing flow to a bearing surface.. and that ticking time bomb analogy becomes more friction than fiction (teehee).

only time will tell. keep an ear out for strange noises.

I bounce my engine off the 7500 RPM limiter all the time in autocross, so I highly doubt any damage was done; the limit would be lower if there was a risk at that RPM. Stock valve train (with stock cams) will go 8,000 or more, but the connecting rod bolts probably aren't safe past 8,000.

Okay thanks guys yeah I drive the completely stock 420a motor and it sees 5000 to 6000 rpms daily shld I install new valve components or other parts?

My vote is keep it stock and don't thrash it too hard unless you want to rebuild/fully build sooner or have a second car.

420a's in stock form are nice little driver's if maintained well and not wrung for everything they're worth, but past that you start noticing shortcomings relatively quick.

Oh, 420A. Don't do reliability mods, it's cheaper to just throw a junkyard engine in if yours blows up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back