We have implemented tools to identify member accounts using insecure passwords and will be locking those accounts until their passwords are updated. Don't get locked out of your account - update your password today, and ensure your account has a valid email address on file. Read more here...
Hey guys, so in the last few weeks I’ve been checking off my list one by one. I got the headliner replaced, re torqued the head and replaced the valve cover gasket, installed the aem 5 bar and today got my 3 port boost solenoid wired, mounted and plumbed.
Only thing left before backing her back out of the garage as you could see from my previous post is re install that darn pedal assembly which I’m not looking forward too . I am proud of my self for finally addressing that issue. So I ended up NOT welding the traditional nut that most people do, as I really had no play there, the original plastic bushing was in great shape, and some say welding that spot weakens the shaft and doesn’t really fix pedal slop anyways, ALL my slop was at the clevis pin.
Here’s a bronze sleeve I bought at the hardware store to fill the 1/2” hole in the lever.
Here’s the lever rebuilt with the sleeve AND a nut welded on the end of the clevis for additional rod adjustment, another trick I read about that’s worked for others.
After re assembling the pedal assembly, I checked for any play and there’s none, as soon as I began to press the pedal, I saw instant movement in the master rod clevis, so hopefully my clutch drag days will soon be over
It's interesting that the plastic bushing was still good, and apparently the square-ish drive between the horizontal shaft and the lever (male to female) was also still not sloppy. Wear on the male part of that square-ish drive is what some people find in this thing. Maybe this is a low mileage car? How many miles are on this car anyway?
I went ahead and replaced that plastic one with the bronze even tho I didn’t weld the shaft, obviously re used the washer/lock washer and tightened the nut with all my might, but it wasn’t loose after 30plus years when I disassembled it so I’m not too worried about it.
135,000 is almost exactly what was on my car when we bought it, and it's still got only 143,500 on it now.
So good, that gives me some hope that my parts in there could still be ok like yours.
Thanks for the pics!
Had to post an old fav . Anyways today I made some progress with the pedal assembly. I’d have to say in some ways the re install is worse than the removal
Got the pedals mounted and the brake master rod re connected.
Got the Brake master/booster re connected along with the reservoir reconnected/topped off. Obviously I’ll be bleeding the brakes/clutch master soon, I’m off tomorrow so I’ll try to make more progress, God Bless.
This weekend I’ll bleed the clutch, just waiting on a new oem evo 8/9 brake booster hose then I’ll bleed the brakes, make the changes on the laptop for the new aem 5 bar, double check base timing and then take her to my brother n laws for a compression test and rear brake job