The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 4g63t oil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

14Kingt

Probationary Member
Sep 5, 2019
Lima, Ohio
I notice after we ran my 95 gsx for a while oil had pooled up on the valve cover where the spark plugs are. I put a new gasket on and it’s still leaking from somewhere. Could the cover have a crack in it?

I notice after we ran my 95 gsx for a while oil had pooled up on the valve cover where the spark plugs are. I put a new gasket on and it’s still leaking from somewhere. Could the cover have a crack in it?

Could be a crack. They’re super fragile so do not over tighten. OEM gaskets are the best. I’ve read felpro are good as well but I do not have first hand experience with them. Try a generous amount of rtv on the bolt closest to your leak.

nah I don't think its anything that major bro. im having same issue just purchased my GSX and it has been sitting for almost a decade. found spark plug cylinder four tube filled with oil after a hard pull on the 215. replace your engine oil cap, the seal is dry rotted and not sealing. Thats where I found oil coming from and it makes sense, also replace you dipstick with a new one. found it leaking from there too. rockauto.com has them both for under $20

I changed those like a month ago but didn’t start it up until a week ago.

I was going to repaint it anyway. I will look for leaks when it’s cleaned.

If the cover itself is cracked it might not be that easy to see. We never saw ours which leaked slowly for years. Thought it was probably a bad gasket. Thought we'd send the cover out for a nice powder coat while it was off for gasket change. Bad idea. The shop that did that never saw the crack either. It leaked same as ever.
Then at English Racing, several years later, same thing, they didn't see it, put the same cover back onto fresh engine. Leaked on the first dyno pull :( !! So they found a good used cover and that fixed it.
If you would like to try some kind of test, google "dye penetrant test for cracked aluminum".

Last edited:
My 92 TSI sprays oil out the block when I hit 17 PSI or whatever the valve cover is not leaking it's spring for the back of the engine up on to the hood and on to the valve cover check to see if you have any micro fractures around your oil pump because I'm going to have to change a block this year LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back