1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Oil leak behind power steering

Posted by drthorp, Nov 14, 2019

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. drthorp

drthorp Proven Member

Joined Oct 22, 2019
    Trussville, Alabama
    Anyone know the part number for the timing cover gaskets? anyone ever reuse these? Can't seem to find much on these parts online or in my manual...

221  6

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You don’t need the gasket for the timing cover and I highly doubt they’re available but I could be wrong.

450  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

506  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 3K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.2 @ 120 · 1G DSM
    drthorp likes this.
  3. TK's9d2TSi

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Looks like the oil was changed regularly. It’s not coated in sludge. Lol

450  3

506  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-

Street Build 3K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.2 @ 120 · 1G DSM
  4. TK's9d2TSi

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I see the alternator is covered in oil also. Check the power steering fluid level. It’s common for the pump to leak and you can rebuild that with $20 gasket set from gates.

450  3

506  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-

Street Build 3K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.2 @ 120 · 1G DSM
    drthorp likes this.
  5. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    Agreed, timing cover seal replacement is not necessary. It can be reused, because it doesn't experience any pressure. It's just to keep dust and water out.

1998 Ford Mustang GT
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Road Race Build 3K  10  24

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    drthorp likes this.
  6. drthorp

drthorp Proven Member

Joined Oct 22, 2019
    Trussville, Alabama
    Thanks guys! Glad to know its not a big issue since mine disintegrated upon removal and you can only get them from Mitsubishi with a whole ass timing cover kit... Yeah I am certain the power steering pump is leaking somewhere as well I hope its simple fix. Currently debating changing lifters while the cams are out as well. Just trying to knock as many things out as I can while its apart.

221  6

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    The pump probably has a bad o-ring.

1998 Ford Mustang GT
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Road Race Build 3K  10  24

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. drthorp

drthorp Proven Member

Joined Oct 22, 2019
    Trussville, Alabama
    Ill most likely go ahead and replace them since its not difficult or expensive.
    Thanks for the help my dude...

221  6

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. drthorp

drthorp Proven Member

Joined Oct 22, 2019
    Trussville, Alabama
    Update: Just finished installing the gates timing belt kit, water pump, OEM tensioner, new harmonic balancer, felpro cam and crank seals, pcv valve and hose, felpro valve cover gasket, new crank trigger plate, new crank sensor, and new accessory belts. After turning the engine by hand like a million times to check the timing, I finally got to the first start. It started up a little rough at first, and had some belt squeals, but then it straightened out and ran like a champ. No oil leaks, no water leaks, and no CEL. Im sure there will be something messing up in the near future, but for now I am very pleased with the advice handed to me on this forum for a job like this. I would like to post some more pictures of the success soon, but for now ill highlight some of the worst parts of this job...

First off, the timing belt jumping 1 tooth on the exhaust cam sprocket my be the most annoying thing in the world. Thanks to the wonderful wisemen on here, I was given the knowledge to combat this issue... the ole trick of putting the sprocket off a tooth before tensioning worked! As far as the teardown goes, that crank bolt hated me. I tried using the old timing belt at first to hold it, didn't work. I finally bought a tool to hold the crank online for like $25 and I know the bolt is only supposed to be on with like 87 ft-lb but I ended up bending the tool it was so tight! But finally got it off with a ton of PB blaster and a cheater bar. Another time that PB came into play was with the old seals. They were all baked onto their housings, and that was ok for the cams since I could remove the caps. The crank seal almost never got out, but thank god for cutting oil. Setting the seals wasn't easy either but I finally got the 36mm socket for the cam seals. I ended up using a 1/4" extension to set it slowly but surely. Other than that it all seemed to go as smoothly as it can go, and im glad to have her back on her feet. Ill most likely be posting some pictures to give this thread a little more closure, but once again thanks everyone for the help!

221  6

awd · manual · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.