The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Oil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard82

Probationary Member
Aug 7, 2013
Sevierville, Tennessee
Ok i know i might make myself sound retarded but im confused. I have an oil leak somwhere around the top of my 4g63 i thought i had found the problem and replaced the valve cover gasket which had obviouse problems and figured that was the problem area considering my oil was on the front of the motor and draining on the top of my altanator(destroyed two) but now that its been replaced the problem presist though not as bad. Only leakes at high rpm but after every drive i pop the hood to find fresh oil on the underside of my hood and the cover i frabicated to keep the iol off of the altantator. Any ideas :(

Exactly where was the oil spray on the hood? What kind of PCV setup do you have?

There isnt any power stearing fluid on the pump. and the fluid on the hood is directly over the timing belt side of the engine but the front of the engine from the valve cover all the way down to the oil pan is shiny wet with fluid with the majority of the build up being at the bottom on the front of the block, and the fresh oil seems to be directed over the altanator, landing on top of it. Please keep in mind that the previouse owner of this car was 17 and very neglectfull, and most of this build up was already there but I can't get it all clean without disasembling the turbo, turbo manifold, and intake, and honestly I dont have that typwe of mechanical knowlage. there is slight fluid spray on the far side of the engine bay where the power stearing resivor and the motor mount is. I would love to provide pics but at this time I don't have any way to do so. Also the valve cover gasket near the timing belt on the radiator side of the motor is shiny but I dont know if that may just be over spray or something but its only for about five inches from the timing belt corner twards the center and then its dry

I dont know about the pcv set up onlyu thing I know is I baught a new on from advance when I replaced the valve cover gasket. The only thing I know about it is that it was the part number that there computer called for.

do you still have all the timing belt covers on your car? if not there may be a chance that your oil pump is leaking and the oil is taking a ride on the timing belt and getting thrown up.

happened to me. wrecked an alt. had me thinking the oil was coming from the top of the motor when it was actually leaking from the bottom. my problem wasn't the seal but the cheap non grooved stubby shaft had worn the case.

similar thing happened to me, oil was dripping on the timing belt and getting flung up on the hood and firewall. i removed the timing covers to find my oil pump sprocket was coming loose. tightened her up and problem solved

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back