The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

OIL LEAK

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CABLODSM

Proven Member
Nov 4, 2014
joliet, Illinois
I HAVE A OIL LEAK NEAR MY OIL FILTER HOUSING/ OIL FILTER / OIL PRESSURE SENSOR.. ITS DRIPPING FROM UNDER THIS AREA. ONLY WHEN CAR IS RUNNING.

ONE DAY I DID A OIL CHANGE AND TOOK OFF THE FILTER BY HAND AND TIGHTENED IT. WHEN I REINSTALLED THE FILTER THE HOUSING FELT LOOSE AND IT MOVED BACK AND FORTH.

SO I REMOVED THE FILTER AND RE TIGHTNED THE BOLT THAT THE FILTER SCREWS ONTO, THINKING THAT WAS WHAT CAUSED THE LEAK.

CAR DID NOT LEAK OIL PRIOR TO THIS OIL CHANGE.

IVE WENT TO AUTOZONE FOR A NEW HOUSING AND NO PARTS STORE CARRIES IT NOR A NEW GASKET SET FOR THE ORIGINAL? HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM? AND HOW HARD IS IT TO UNBOLT AND REPLACE? LOOKS FARELY SIMPLE.

96 GST FWD AUTO 130K MILES.
ONLY MODS IVE DONE ARE
EVO3 BIG 16G PORTED TURBO
FMIC
NEW PLUGS AND WIRES
TURBO INTAKE HARDPIPING.
97-99 FRONT BUMPER/REAR AND SIDESKIRT CONVERSION
NEW ALTERNATOR
NEW WINDSHIELD

BOUGHT IT 2 MONTHS AGO AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH DSM.. I WILL NEVER BUY A HONDA AGAIN.

Ofh gaskets are cheap and avaia me at stm. Just did this to mine 12mm bolts one under the crank pulley is hardest.
You have to remove the timing cover and get to it. 5 bolts total I believe.

First I would check the oil filter housing. You don't have to remove the crank bolt to remove it, on a 1g I believe it's held on with 5 bolts.

They are pretty cheap, but I only trust oem mitsubishi parts. I order them from extreme psi and jnztuning. I would buy a new oil filter housing and a gasket. Make sure you have a torque wrench so you can fasten the new filter housing correctly according to mitsubishi specs.

Also here's from a quick search, could help give you some insight to your problem.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/oil-leak-from-oil-filter-housing.440473/

Its probably not the oil filter housing gasket its the O-Ring on the back of the oil cooler ( the part between the filter and the ofh housing with the coolant lines going to it) If it came loose while you were changing the filter the old O-ring wont reseal after you tighten it because the old one is probably hardened. You need to remove the filter and take off the stud in the middle that the filter screws onto to get to the O-ring . When you install the new O-ring don't over tighten the stud in the middle or it will crush the cooler and your coolant/oil will mix. The part # for the O-ring is MD620908 , you wont find it at an auto parts store you will have to go to a dealer or one of the vendors that sells OEM parts they cost around $8.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

When you change the O ring in the picture above (which is 99.5% the problem) make sure you clean up all the threads and use RED loctite on the stud.

ONLY TORQUE TO 31 FT LBS.

24mm deep well socket required.

When you change the O ring in the picture above (which is 99.5% the problem) make sure you clean up all the threads and use RED loctite on the stud.

ONLY TORQUE TO 31 FT LBS.

24mm deep well socket required.

ok thanks guys i already purchased that socket.. i do have a torque wrench..

i will purchase the gasket it and replace that first. thanks for all your input.

i see oil dripping from the aluminum side adjacent of the filter. so its like it leaks from the seal and goes towards the aluminum side.and i think its throwing oil other places as well.. since it drops on the floor maybe in 4 different spots from this location.

ok thanks guys i already purchased that socket.. i do have a torque wrench..

i will purchase the gasket it and replace that first. thanks for all your input.

i see oil dripping from the aluminum side adjacent of the filter. so its like it leaks from the seal and goes towards the aluminum side.and i think its throwing oil other places as well.. since it drops on the floor maybe in 4 different spots from this location.

First clean up all the oil as best as possible, then continually check for where the oil appears. It may be spreading from one part to the others, or multiple leaks. This way you avoid dumping unnecessary parts into it.

The aluminum side your referring to is called the front case, all of your oil runs through it. If you do decide to replace it you will also have to remove your timing belt. This is a good time to replace the timing belt and components (tensioner, pulleys).

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=18969
http://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=22306

you sure my oil filter housing is the same as the oil pump?? the oil filter housing looks like its seperate when i look from the side. and looks like its not in the way of the timing belt?
i may be wrong.

The pump is the farthest right (lower) gear attached to the timing belt under the timing cover where the oil filter housing is an external casted passage on the left side (lower) if this helps you

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back