The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420a turbo goes [email protected]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

are you gonna deck both the head and the block??

that sucks bro but next time you will remember to turn your water pump on at least LOL

Im sitting in like 20 inches of snow right now

post a pic of your turbo sit up please

Yeah Shane, honestly no big deal. Part of what I signed up for when racing (but preferably not something I do TO myself ;))

are you gonna deck both the head and the block??

Yeah, got to. There is a slight mar on the deck surface. I ALMOST said screw it and put a used HG on and was going to fix the head so I could race saturday. But decided against it. Didn't want to screw up the block any more.

that sucks bro but next time you will remember to turn your water pump on at least LOL
Forget? Nah forget that, LOL. I'm going to hook her up to the ignition like I was supposed to.

Im sitting in like 20 inches of snow right now

post a pic of your turbo sit up please
Lol, 20" eh. Now THAT sucks :p.

Here's a crappy pic I took awhile back (obviously I can't take any now);

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

MB

What cause the head to do that? I had that happen a year ago.

I stoopidly forgot to hit my switch to turn the water to air intercooler on. So I basically went down the track with no "intercooling" on a BW366 @29lbs. Not the best of ideas.
In a word; Heat. With that kind of cylinder compression and no cooled air flowing in there, it causes problems ;). The heat generated by that compression without cooling (thus also generating earlier combustion in the cylinder) basically looks for a weak point. Now one good thing is that your headgasket actually is a bit of a safety switch in that it is the weak point in the set-up. So instead of your pistons or your cylinders blowing out, or your head cracking and melting down, your head gasket gives up and releases the compression in its own weak point. BUT if you keep going on it, you can get the results you see in the picture (this is a very simple explanation for clarity).

Funny thing here is that the "weak point" is usually between the cylinders, but on this HG they were virtually untouched (which was nice to see). For some reason, that was the weakest spot (could have been the head "lifting" off of the block and that spot was the weakest. Along with the too hot coolant flowing on the other side. Just presumption at this point).

But it does go to show your the power of air :D (alright, exploding air). Oddly enough (or fortunately enough), I expected to see some signs of detonation in the JE's. At first inspection, I see nothing. I'll know more when I take them out but so far so good.

MB

Dam bro that sux i was actually excited that another 420a in the shootout for the record>

I like that PWR AWIC ....dose pwr still make them???...
Yup, as far as I know.

Nice now time to go into the 10's :p
I'd be there if it wasn't for the doggone weather. Just a tough, tough racing year because of the weather. One of our tracks ended up under about 5 feet of water (that's right after they put down a new track that was actually hooking pretty good).

Oh well, the old saying "That's racing" or "wait till next year" :thumb:

MB

You can always drive south to run during the winter if you want to. I'm still told that Atco in NJ stays open, but I'm not sure. I do remember drag racing there on January 9th, 2000, it was in the 70's. Not to say it will be in the 70's this January, but, we can always take a road trip to run! I know you've got some rebuilding to do now though and you may not want to rush that. Just a thought. I sure wish we could race year-round. Part of my motivation to want to move south and/or pull a live here when it's warm and live there when it's cold here effort!

Hey you can come down here to where it's always sunny. um lets see 85 to 95 degrees all the time humidity 85% <<< Thats almost all year long only like one maybe one week out the whole year after sept till maybe feb where it gets as low as 70 maybe 65 if were luck but its only for 1 day or soo a month LOL LMFAO

Hey you can come down here to where it's always sunny. um lets see 85 to 95 degrees all the time humidity 85% <<< Thats almost all year long only like one maybe one week out the whole year after sept till maybe feb where it gets as low as 70 maybe 65 if were luck but its only for 1 day or soo a month LOL LMFAO

:DHell yeah....we have family in Daytona Beach Shores, Ft. Pierce, and St. Petersburg....we love it down there. We go down for Rolex 24, Sebring 12 hr., and St. Pete GP.......eventually, I will be able to race year-round!:hellyeah:

You can always drive south to run during the winter if you want to. I'm still told that Atco in NJ stays open, but I'm not sure. I do remember drag racing there on January 9th, 2000, it was in the 70's. Not to say it will be in the 70's this January, but, we can always take a road trip to run!
Yeah, that's it, egg me on :D

Unfortunately, nowadays, I gotta think about costs. That is a pricey little trip. I just went down to Maryland to pick up a GSX and those tolls aren't trailer friendly (not to mention the gas). But it may be in the cards. This is is certainly a possibility. We may just make this trip at some point :sneaky:

I know you've got some rebuilding to do now though and you may not want to rush that.
You and I both know THAT part of the game means little to me. Most of the time spent is basically waiting for the parts to come out of the machine shop. Fortunately, Mikey over at Northeast is very good to me. Just so happens that I dropped the block and head off there last night and he said he may have the block done by today or tomorrow. Great guy with great accuracy. I have yet to have a problem with his work (of course he does everything exactly as I tell him to :p J/K)

MB

Yeah, that's it, egg me on :D

Unfortunately, nowadays, I gotta think about costs. That is a pricey little trip. I just went down to Maryland to pick up a GSX and those tolls aren't trailer friendly (not to mention the gas). But it may be in the cards. This is is certainly a possibility. We may just make this trip at some point :sneaky:

You and I both know THAT part of the game means little to me. Most of the time spent is basically waiting for the parts to come out of the machine shop. Fortunately, Mikey over at Northeast is very good to me. Just so happens that I dropped the block and head off there last night and he said he may have the block done by today or tomorrow. Great guy with great accuracy. I have yet to have a problem with his work (of course he does everything exactly as I tell him to :p J/K)

MB

Ha! The costs are immense, even just to hit the local strip for one day, so I hear you there. I know the tolls are crazy too. I'll speak about that on a personal level on my thread.:notgood:

Wow, that's great that the engine is already being worked on. Well, let us know how it turns out and wanted to ask:

Did you get a dash card made up that says, "TURN I/C ON!?"

Hahaha, screw it. I'm even too stupid for that. Maybe I'll just hook it up to the igniton like I should have done in the first place? Duh.

MB

! That's funny ! I'm sure you can get a handle on it! I just remember seeing "Push in clutch with chute" on Shep's dash so I figured it might work for you!

Thought I would give the 420a guys an update;

Turbo is no more.

Well, this decision hurt. I just can't get to the track often enough to race two cars. I can't afford to tune/fix/modify and go to the track with two cars. I haven't been able to get the NA on the track for close to a year because of this piece of shyt turbo (I really do hate turbo cars. They do nothing to peak my interest).

Soooo........I'm in the process of tearing down a perfectly good 570whp 420a (I feel like I'm euthanizing one of my pets before he's ready to die ). I'll post up an ad in the FS section in a little bit. Just too balls to the walls busy lately to do much.

So good luck to my 420a brethren shooting for the record. I just can't find the time to get there.

But hey, :tease: maybe I'll make it to the 10's with the NA (posted as sarcasm).

MB

Dam sux to see another one go down but hey you do what feels right. Good luck into anything you decide to follow

Damn nice time, too bad u messed it up, good luck

Hey man how much power you putting down rage? Wanna run it I stay in pines as well

Thought I would give the 420a guys an update;

Turbo is no more.

Well, this decision hurt. I just can't get to the track often enough to race two cars. I can't afford to tune/fix/modify and go to the track with two cars. I haven't been able to get the NA on the track for close to a year because of this piece of shyt turbo (I really do hate turbo cars. They do nothing to peak my interest).

Soooo........I'm in the process of tearing down a perfectly good 570whp 420a (I feel like I'm euthanizing one of my pets before he's ready to die ). I'll post up an ad in the FS section in a little bit. Just too balls to the walls busy lately to do much.

So good luck to my 420a brethren shooting for the record. I just can't find the time to get there.

But hey, :tease: maybe I'll make it to the 10's with the NA (posted as sarcasm).

MB

Sorry to hear, but I totally understand.....you can always go back once you feel you've exhausted the NA effort......:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back