The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink 2G - injector circuit malfunction DTC

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin DuBois

Proven Member
Aug 15, 2019
Oakland, California
Uuu, well this is a new intermittent DTC for me. What are the typical reasons for an injector circuit malfunction message? Everything has been working fine for over year - now this.

I have no idea what the "typical" causes are because it doesn't seem that typical. I'm sure you can go down the list of parts involved as well as I can in the injector circuit.

Are there any correlating data points? Does it run funny at the time, is it only when it's hot, are any of the injector clips missing their locks? Which code(s) are you getting?

Tom and Dave would have a better idea of what the 2g ECU is checking as a condition for the fault. The 1g is pretty simple, looking for an open circuit. I had a bad injector that the coil woud go open when it got hot and that threw the fault.

I have no idea what the "typical" causes are because it doesn't seem that typical. I'm sure you can go down the list of parts involved as well as I can in the injector circuit.

Are there any correlating data points? Does it run funny at the time, is it only when it's hot, are any of the injector clips missing their locks? Which code(s) are you getting?

Tom and Dave would have a better idea of what the 2g ECU is checking as a condition for the fault. The 1g is pretty simple, looking for an open circuit. I had a bad injector that the coil woud go open when it got hot and that threw the fault.
Thanks for the feedback. Idle was a bit high, and floating around, but the engine was cold after the battery had been drawn down.

I have checked continuity between the ecu harness plug to the injector on the Yellow wire, and that checks out ok.

Where does the other pin on the injector go to?

You can see in the wiring diagram one side comes from the MFI Relay to the Injector Resistors and then each resistor feeds the power to a injector. The other side of the injectors go straight to the ECU. So, the MFI/MPI circuit powers the injectors via the resistor pack and the ECU grounds the circuit to fire them.

Attachments

• 2GECUMFI.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 63
Ok, Now I get it. The ecu pulls “down” to provide a ground to the injector coil. So I’m thinking if voltage is not detected at the ecu injector pin, then the ecu throws an error code for injector circuit malfunction.

Since the malfunction is always being reported on the same injector, and I have confirmed continuity between the ECU and the injector, I can narrow down the fault to either the wiring from the injector to the resistor pack, the resistor, or the ecu.

I had intermittent continuity issues with several injectors on my GSX and never got this DTC. I did get this DTC on a different car that never had any problems and I never did anything to fix it, so I'm at a loss for what triggers the code.

My GSX was running the 98+ H8 black box ECU at the time but that shouldn't change anything.

Also just want to say that checking continuity isn't enough to confirm that it isn't a wiring problem. My injector problem would register continuity on a DMM but when the engine was running the injector would periodically cut out. I diagnosed my problem by fiddling with the wiring harness while the engine was running to find where the break was. I don't know of an "official" way to be more certain of the wire integrity.

Now consistently popping up injector circuit malfunction cyl 2

drives “ok”
For a while I had a 1994 ecu on my 1g that was giving me an injector fault code and the car still seemed to run ok.
I had bought the ecu from DSM chips (Jeff Oberholtzer), with the 1990 conversion to it.
So I sent it back to Jeff and he found "a tiny break in a trace in the injector circuit".
He fixed it. Or maybe he sent me back a different ecu but as I remember he fixed the trace.

The injector resistor pack tests ok with 6.0. ohms for each one, and the injector wire has a connection between the resistor pack plug and the injector on the green wire.

Hmm, well I’ll put it back together and move the injector to see if the error moves to a different number.

I still suspect the injector, ecu, or a heat related failure.

Jeff found "a tiny break in a trace in the injector circuit".

I think a lot of the PCB were over etched or the electrolyte was eating them. I found a surprising number of broken traces (micro fractures) where the geometry changed, like where a trace met a pad. You could only see them with magnification or measuring. After I found the first I made sure to ohm out a large portion of the boards during repairs. It really slow things down but the good part was they weren't intermittent.

I swapped inj 1 and 2, and the DTC error still says 2. This is pointing to the ECU as the source of the issue. ( not the conclusion I was hoping for )
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Download the patch from ecmlinks website. I chased this problem in my buddy's 97 gsx last year, all checked out perfect. Dsmlink offers a free download able patch that eliminates this code from popping up. Again, this is only when you checked all possible voltage issues etc...

Justin... The board looks fine with no signs of water damage, corrosion or burning... Why would you send this out for repair? Download the patch and it will fix it. This is a common problem that many have faced. Your turning a free fix into something more than it has to be. Steve posted the link for you. It shouldnt take you more than 15 min to resolve this.

The board looks fine with no signs of water damage, corrosion or burning.

I see several places where the capacitors have leaked and are causing corrosion. I circled the worst parts. Can't say if it's causing any problems yet.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Justin... The board looks fine with no signs of water damage, corrosion or burning... Why would you send this out for repair? Download the patch and it will fix it. This is a common problem that many have faced. Your turning a free fix into something more than it has to be. Steve posted the link for you. It shouldnt take you more than 15 min to resolve this.
A patch that turns off the error report, does not solve the issue that is generating the error. The case history indicates a change. Up until recently - no error. Only now, something in the ECU is not happy. Basic diagnostic logic has pointed the finger at the issue - so I'm sending the component with the issue to the experts to get more information.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back