The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink Speed Density check engine DTC code 12 Volume air flow circuit malfunction

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GsxEcutioner

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 3, 2007
San Bruno, California
I just installed all my SD stuff with no maf. Its the 1g Plug and Play harness from ECMLink and the IAT and Omni 4bar map sensor from The Bundle kit installed on my Galant vr4. I plugged everything in and the IAT is on the throttle body elbow with the map tapped where the BOV line would go on the Intake Manifold. I think I set it up right in Link but I got this code and have no idea why.
-Shane

Attachments

• check engine DTC code 0012 Volume air flow circuit malfunction.elg
    51.2 KB · Views: 132
I Put the maf comp at Speed Density, and it still gives me that DTC. Does the timing table really make that big of a difference?

Not for the DTC... but it will for the tune.

Are you sure you saved it to the ECU after changing it? Post another log after you set it to SD.

will get it asap, thanks for the advice, Yea the timing map was setup during my last tuning session when i had a 2g maf and a big 16g.
-Shane

Set the MAF type to speed density. Clear the DTC, it shouldnt come back. Your going to need to tune the ve tables for your car.

still there... I have no idea whats up with it.

Attachments

• check engine light still after speed density selected.elg
    25.7 KB · Views: 89
You don't have a MAP sensor assigned on the ECU Inputs tab, so the ECU isn't seeing an airflow signal, causing the DTC.

With the plug and play cable, I believe you need to assign your 4-bar Omni MAP sensor to the baro input, and the IAT sensor to the Intake Temp input (for logging). You then need to select "Baro" from the first drop-down box next to "MAP" to tell the ECU where to find the MAP sensor, and then select Omni Power 4-bar from the second box to tell it what type it is.

Oh alright so as soon as I label each sensor it should work from there correct?

One way to find out. :)

The car should start and run with no codes, but you are a long way from being properly tuned. Let's take it one step at a time.

Once you get the inputs configured, be sure to go into the captured values and select the IAT and MAP sensors for logging and configure their properties. Start the car, and make sure that the DTC's go away and that you have a good signal being logged for MAP and IAT.

You should also check the first box on the inputs tab under the table at the right, to lock the IAT and Baro... since you are over-riding those inputs with other sensors.

Oh yes I know that, I was just saying it should fix the CEL, on ecmlinks wiki it didn't tell me quite what was supposed to be added to which pin if it were a plug and play set up , I thought it was supposed to run like a stock maf since its using all the same wiring .

The main thing is the drop-down boxes; that is what tells the ECU about the MAP sensor for SD operation. The table above it is used to assign different sensors to the inputs for logging purposes.

Are you pretty new to ECMLink in general, or very familiar with it?

Pretty new to it.

Cool.

If you haven't done so already, spend some time with the ECMLink wiki, and then post up any questions you have. I'll subscribe to this thread and help you where I can.

Here are some links to get you started if you haven't seen them yet:

ECMLink Demo Videos
Speed Density 101
Engine operation and ECU tuning concepts
ECMLink - Speed Density Setup
SD VE Adjust (CombinedFT)
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...ricks-display-optimization.html#post152279718

I would also suggest using one of Sam's default VE tables to start with, if he doesn't mind sharing. Maybe he'll pop back in here and offer one up; if not, PM him and ask nicely. :)

You'll also want to replace your stock 1G timing and fuel DA tables with either the 2G or Evo8 tables, which can be found here. I would suggest just loading up the Evo8 tables, as they are a pretty good baseline to start with.

Thanks for the head up, it seems my ecu isn't saving my changes. I did change everything and assigned pin and it still throws the code. I'm getting fed up and I will post another log when over home of the changes .

I did yes, it's funny, I never had this problem web I had my maf and now I have SD and first startup is like this.

heres a log after i assigned the pins. my wideband isnt switching either :confused:.

Attachments

• sd saved still gets CEL.ecm
    4.8 KB · Views: 83
oh damn, i thought i took one of the car running, yea it starts and idles but the wideband doesnt oscillate and the check engine just keeps coming on,

That is just a settings file...not an actual log.

Does the car start and run? Post up a log with it either running, or with the key on.

so i fixed it, and it seems to run now, I also put the downed version of 2g timing map into the 1g. wideband still seems to be out of whack.
-Shane

Attachments

• SD set with car off..elg
    7.1 KB · Views: 79
  • SD Set car is on..elg
    28.4 KB · Views: 84
That log still has the 1G DA tables, and your timing sliders aren't zero'd out.

NLTS is enabled. Are you using it?

Boost control is enabled, but no duty factors assigned. Are you using the ECU boost control?

Something is definitely up with your WB, although it could just be due to the fact that nothing is tuned yet. Try locking the ECU in open loop (misc tab) and posting another idle log. Also, add ISCPosition to your captured values.

That log still has the 1G DA tables, and your timing sliders aren't zero'd out.

NLTS is enabled. Are you using it?

Boost control is enabled, but no duty factors assigned. Are you using the ECU boost control?

Something is definitely up with your WB, although it could just be due to the fact that nothing is tuned yet. Try locking the ECU in open loop (misc tab) and posting another idle log. Also, add ISCPosition to your captured values.

my last tuner put stuff into the DA tables, how do I change that?I thought I changed my timing table to the 2g downed version map. NLTS I dont use it but i guess its there, and Boost Control 3 port solenoid is hooked up but I havent assigned anything yet because I will be breaking in my rebuilt evo316g. My Wideband may need to be Recalibrated since the car has been sitting for the past 6 weeks and I am still having this clutch drag issue that I have to fix before I can drive the car. I will add ISC Position to captured values and I will lock in Open loop.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back