The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

20g TD06 to a TD06H housing question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
When I get my stroker built, I'll probably use the 20g to break in the motor before/if I decide to upgrade to another turbo. It's a TD06 though of course but one of the holes is all jacked up where the downpipe bolts up so only have 3 bolts holding it on so figured if I had to replace it I'd just upgrade. Was looking at the bullseye website and they sell a housing for the TD06H housing for only $170. Would it just bolt right on? Anyone know the horsepower rating of the TD06H? Thanks!

Scott

To answer your question, no. A housing for a TD06H won't bolt to a a turbo with a TD06 turbine wheel (well it will, but there will be a gap and you won't spool it). Bullseye also sells housing for TD05H and TD06 wheels, though. Are you absolutely positive that it's a TD06 turbine wheel? Most people that have a "TD06-20g" really have a TD05H turbine wheel, the TD06 part refers only to the comp. housing. I'd suggest measuring the turbine wheel before you go and buy a new housing. In either case, I wouldn't bother with the bullseye housing for what you're looking to use it for. You can pick up a used 7cm for under $100 to get you going once you confirm what wheel you have. The bullseye housing is alot of work to make it fit, not worth it for a temporary setup.

Thanks man. I had a brain fart. Yeah, it's the compressor housing that's the TD06. Duh me. I was just thinkin of a way to upgrade the turbo some while on the stroker until I upgrade to something else and started thinkin along those lines without really thinkin about what I actually had. One of those days I guess. But any idea as the the horsepower rating I have? I don't even know that.

Steve93Talon said:
... Are you absolutely positive that it's a TD06 turbine wheel? Most people that have a "TD06-20g" really have a TD05H turbine wheel, the TD06 part refers only to the comp. housing. ....

:nono:

td06 refers strickly to the turbine wheel on a mitsubishi turbo. Hence td06-20g, td05-14b, td05-16g, etc etc.

if he has a td06-20g, the turbine wheel is a td06.

Heck, I thought it could refer to the compressor as well? I for dang sure know that this compressor cover is massive on this 20g compared to the last 20g i had :confused: feeling dumb right about now and feeling like I need some edumacation.

It's been a lil while since I've had to worry about dealing with all this stuff relating to turbo sizes. Could use a quick refresher. Difference between compressor sizes as well as the turbine housings, etc. 7cm, 8cm, TD05, TD06? Maybe even other turbos like a T-66 or T-67? 75 lbs/ min air flow, etc.

Say this turbo for example....

http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=1740&

Maybe break down the terms for us as well as the A/R .70 I'm seeing on the compressor housing? I'm pretty rusty in this area. Thanks!

gimmie11s said:
:nono:

td06 refers strickly to the turbine wheel on a mitsubishi turbo. Hence td06-20g, td05-14b, td05-16g, etc etc.

if he has a td06-20g, the turbine wheel is a td06.

Mitsubishi has TD05H compressor covers (like a 14b/16g), and TD06 compressor covers (like most 20g's). A "sleeper 20g" is a 20g wheel stuffed inside a TD05H comp. housing. This has NOTHING to do with the turbine wheel.

IN DSM APPLICATIONS, They have TD05H (not TD05 ;) ), TD06, amd TD06H turbine wheels. There are variations of the 20g that have used all 3. In fact, Forced performance offers the option of choosing any of them.

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/...oduct_Code=NTDSM20G5H&Category_Code=DSM-Turbo

That is a TD06-20g/TD05H-7cm. The TD06 is the comp. cover, 20g is comp. wheel, TD05H is turbine wheel, and 7cm is turbine housing. Any questions?

Ok settle down, no need to get all hostile. Somestimes people are wrong you don't need to take a smiley so personally.

Steve93Talon said:
They have TD05H (not TD05 ;) ), TD06, amd TD06H turbine wheels.

actually, there is a td05 turbine wheel....a td04 also exists as well as many others.

Steve93Talon said:
http://linux.forcedperformance.net/...oduct_Code=NTDSM20G5H&Category_Code=DSM-Turbo

That is a TD06-20g/TD05H-7cm. The TD06 is the comp. cover, 20g is comp. wheel, TD05H is turbine wheel, and 7cm is turbine housing. Any questions?

there is no such thing as a td06-20g/td05h-7cm... ROFL ROFL

that is simply a td05h-20g. come on now.

please look here and educate yourself before spewing hearsay all over the board.
http://linux.forcedperformance.net/...=FP&Product_Code=MTW&Category_Code=UNIV-Tcomp

gimmie11s said:
actually, there is a td05 turbine wheel....a td04 also exists

there is no such thing as a td06-20g/td05h-7cm... ROFL ROFL

that is simply a td05-20g. come on now.

As per your quote referring to a "TD05-14b, 16g...". IT DOES NOT EXIST. I'm not saying the wheel doesn't exist, simply in that application.

I broke it down into the individual components so that you could comprehend the point I was making. Again, simply calling something a "TD06-20g" isn't complete information considering that there is a TD06 compressor housing and a TD06 turbine wheel.

In fact, I have a friend who had a "TD06-20g" from Buschur. I argued with him that the BR20g is a TD05H turbine wheel, and he insisted that he had a TD06 turbine. I pointed out that the TD06 part was just the comp. cover. We finally pulled his turbine housing off and it was, indeed a TD05H wheel. Now, I wouldn't call what he has a "TD05H-20g" because that could imply that the comp. housing is a TD05H (aka sleeper), which it is not. I prefer to refer to the complete components to avoid any confusion and to try and stop the spread of misinformation.

call it what you want.

i am talking about MHI turbos here.... not some mut that people have taken apart and built to their own liking... like the "sleeper 20g."

so, when referring to MHI turbos, you are correct in that there is a td05h-14b and 16g. there is also a td05h-20g and td06-20g. these are factory built MHI units. there should be no confusion. MHI does not build the "sleeper 20g."

and by the way... to quote you...

Steve93Talon said:
They have TD05H (not TD05 ;) ), TD06, amd TD06H turbine wheels.

you were in fact saying that the wheel didn't exist.

you're welcome for the education.

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/...=FP&Product_Code=MTH&Category_Code=UNIV-Tcomp

okay well what would you guys say about one of these? maybe a ported 8cm housing for the 20g to help with the flow and maybe topend? remember, for the meantime while breaking in the stroker motor. makes me wonder how much more it could help out though. wonder about upgrading turbine wheels as well. hmmm.....wondering what turbine wheel would work with it well. haha! say that 10 times really fast :D

Whether you want to call it an MHI unit or something that someone assembled themselves, these variations do exist. The lack of recognition of how many varieties is what leads to the misinformation being spread here. As I said, I know people who have "TD06-20G" turbos and found out that their turbine wheel is a TD05H. I happen to have a 20g sitting here with a TD05H compressor cover and a TD06H turbine wheel.

Look at this very thread. The original post was asking if a Bullseye housing could be used on his "TD06-20G". Now let's say that he ordered a Bullseye housing for a TD06 wheel, and when he goes to install it realized that his turbine wheel is actually a TD05H. Do you think he'd be happy about this? Do you think he'd thank you for your oversimplified designation of the turbo? I doubt it.

As for the TD05 wheel, it's clear to anyone who ISN'T simply looking to start a pissing match that I was speaking with regard to DSM applications. Specifically the ones you listed incorrectly as a TD05-14b & TD05-16g.

gimmie11s said:
td06 refers strickly to the turbine wheel on a mitsubishi turbo.

"The 20G steps up to the larger TD06 compressor housing"

Considering that FP refers to the model listed as a 20g-5h and lists TD06 as the comp. housing, I'm thinking I'll stick to their slightly more logical designation method. :thumb:

"jumping up and down and waving my arms"

Hey guys, I'm over here. What about MY questions though? I seem to be asking them and getting ignored while ya'll are having your dispute about who's right or wrong.:boring: Just want some help here guys. Thanks!

v8s_are_slow said:
http://linux.forcedperformance.net/...=FP&Product_Code=MTH&Category_Code=UNIV-Tcomp

okay well what would you guys say about one of these? maybe a ported 8cm housing for the 20g to help with the flow and maybe topend? remember, for the meantime while breaking in the stroker motor. makes me wonder how much more it could help out though. wonder about upgrading turbine wheels as well. hmmm.....wondering what turbine wheel would work with it well. haha! say that 10 times really fast :D

Did you ever confirm what turbine wheel you have? That will really be the best way to determine whether or not you need to worry about replacing/upgrading wheels or housings. I don't have any experience with a 20g on a stroker, but I'd think that if you have a TD05H turbine wheel, the 8cm housing might not do you much good since even with the bigger scroll, all that flow is still going to choke on the small wheel. If you have an 06 or 06H wheel, then an 8cm would probably be helpful on a stroker.

I'm sorry for falling victim to his pissing contest, he made an incorrect statement, insulted my in the process, and I was just trying to point it out in an attempt to keep the spreading of misinformation at a minimum. Read some of his other threads and you'll see that pointless arguing with half-correct facts are his standard operating procedure. Regardless, I've said what I had to say.

No, my car is being stored at my parents at the moment (100 miles away). So kinda hard to tell right now. I'll be pulling the motor pretty soon though. Guessing there's a marking on the wheel somewhere telling me exactly what it is? Heck, if I could go to a bigger wheel and housing and a bigger wheel and be good on a stroker, I really wouldn't need to upgrade turbos....maybe. Guess I'll see but won't know unless I swap out the parts and see how it performs 1st.

Alright, thanks for the info. I'll have to look as soon as I can pull it. Going to my parents tomorrow. May just try and pull the turbo if my girlfriend will lemme get away.

Looking at the link for Forced Performance for the turbine wheels, any idea of the largest wheel I could go with, matched to a 8cm housing (or something else)? I'd e-mail but they seem rather slow to respond and my cell phone doesn't work too good here on base. :rolleyes: So it's questions on the forum for now, to try and get as much info as I can.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother to replace the wheel. Once you factor in the wheel, rebuild kit, re-balancing, and the new/machined turbine housing, it's probably cheaper to just sell it and buy a new turbo. We just went through the same thing with Tort's car. He ended up just selling me his TD05H turbined 20g and buying a TD06H wheeled one.

Steve93Talon said:
I'm sorry for falling victim to his pissing contest, he made an incorrect statement, insulted my in the process, and I was just trying to point it out in an attempt to keep the spreading of misinformation at a minimum. Read some of his other threads and you'll see that pointless arguing with half-correct facts are his standard operating procedure. Regardless, I've said what I had to say.

ive made no incorrect statements. My facts are not half correct. If you feel you have found half correct facts that i have posted, please show me them and ill be the first to appologize.

i rarely frequent this board and it is clear why. There are way too many newbs like yourself who think they have the answer to everyones problems. it is clear that you have no idea what MHI produces, who MHI is, and what you can do with each turbo.... having signed onto this board in Jan of 2005, i suppose i can see why you are clueless.

look below to see what Mitsubishi compressor housings are supposed to be called....you'll see that there are no "td06 or td05h" housings. According to your idea a 16g, 14b, and "sleeper 20g" all share the same compressor housing. This clearly is not the case as each one demands its own exact inlet size (because of the different size comp wheels). This is why you cannot clump them all together with the same designation.

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/...=FP&Product_Code=MCH&Category_Code=UNIV-Tcomp

-d

You really don't know when enough is enough do you? (gimme11s)

Thread re-opened but not for arguing, just answer the thread starters questions and keep the bickering to PM's.

I yanked my motor this past weekend and took off the turbo to get a better look while I was at it. Apparently it's the smaller of the turbo's in the link above. The TD05 and thinking it's clipped as well. But the exhaust housing isn't ported out like the one in the picture. Other than maybe porting the outlet side as that turbo was, anything else I could maybe do to it without having to do a whole rebuild? Can you not just buy a new turbine blade and maybe a larger housing and slap on or does the whole assembly have to be balanced anytime a wheel is changed?

You'd preferrably want to re=balance the assembly with the new wheel. I'd also do fresh bearings and seals at the same time if it were mine. Then you'd need a new turbine housing to match the new wheel. When all is said and done, you could sell your turbo and buy a new one and it would cost you less. You can get like $500-600 for yours and pick up a 20G with a TD06H turbine side and the big TD06 comp. housing with 3" inlet from SBR for $999.

Per FP's site, a TD06H wheel is $237, an 8cm housing is $245, a rebuild kit is $100, and balancing is going to be at least $50. I'd say either run whatcha got or sell it and buy something better suited to a stroker.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back