The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

TD06 20g with a TD06H turbine, stuffed into a 14b turbine housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thats insane man. Why stick with the 05h if dropping all that coin on a built motor?

I've already went big turbo right before this 20g. I wanted spool and power. It's already pretty laggy for a 20G. Plus once I get a bigger wastegate spring it should make more on the 05H. I probably could get insane numbers out of a 06H but it's a lot of fun as it is.

Any updates?

I found a 6cm and a 8cm housing to accomodate my TD06H wheel. Will also test another 6cm housing with 9-blade TD05H-16g to see how performance is impacted.

But everything is still in parts right now...was hoping to see results

Sorry to all who've been waiting. No testing yet, my excuse is that I've been busy with a career change and lost access to personal time on machining. I have a sibling and a friend who are machinists but have not had free time to take on my machining needs yet. Hopefully soon.

I'll watch this because I'm just curious.
But I do think it's kind of a waste when you say you're after lows and a midrange.
That's one of the benefits of a TD05H 20G....
A 20g, TD06H, and low/midrange I don't think should really be in the same sentence. I think you should have started out with the TD06SL2 (similar in size to Garrett's GT30 turbine wheel) in the 6cm housing. THAT would have been a little more interesting...

That sized turbine wheel (TD06H) falls between Garrett's GT30 and GT35 turbine wheels. You have a very small a/r housing on a pretty big turbine wheel. Just don't think this is very optimum at all.
I am with the others, I think you'd have much more fun with a TD05H/7cm 20g.

I figure this. 6cm2, 7cm2 and 8cm2 all measure AREA and not volume or it would be cm^3 and the eBay housing would be HUGE.

I think its measuring the actual area exposed to the turbine wheel. When you cut a 6cm2 housing for a turbine wheel that is 10-12mm larger, then arent you cutting 5-6mm up into this area, effectively enlarging it? This should remove restrictions in the system, so backpressure should go down. And EGTs, as well should be lowered.

Im going to run it. All Im asking is for it to flow 40+lbs of air from 3000 to 7500rpm at 20psi. This is what I believe that OP is asking too...

And before someone says, oh an EvoIII16G could do that, not on pump gas it wouldnt. High IATS, High EGTs=KNOCK.

What will the lag be like and smooth power or hit like a freight train :hellyeah:?
I would think the turbo companies would have tried similar things for a possible "new" product to sell?
They can on good ole E85. :thumb:

The td06h 20g was one of my favorite street turbos. It'll make 450 without going crazy on the boost and spools only a little slower than a td05h. The back pressure is also greatly decreased making it easier to tune.

I'll watch this because I'm just curious.
But I do think it's kind of a waste when you say you're after lows and a midrange.
That's one of the benefits of a TD05H 20G....
A 20g, TD06H, and low/midrange I don't think should really be in the same sentence. I think you should have started out with the TD06SL2 (similar in size to Garrett's GT30 turbine wheel) in the 6cm housing. THAT would have been a little more interesting...

That sized turbine wheel (TD06H) falls between Garrett's GT30 and GT35 turbine wheels. You have a very small a/r housing on a pretty big turbine wheel. Just don't think this is very optimum at all.
I am with the others, I think you'd have much more fun with a TD05H/7cm 20g.

I'm aware of all results. All combinations have been proven to have a very hard punch down low, but I'd like more up top.
The 5H turbine just falls off too soon for my liking.
If the setup proves us wrong, I would try the SL2 turbine next.
After all, I sourced parts at very cost efficient methods so I won't feel bad if all the work doesn't pay off.
Like brane_97talon mentioned, I just want to shift the lines a little more to the right and a little higher.

I feel that the energy focus with the 6H turbine in the smaller 6cm housing will be the balance of all things.
The smaller volume and smaller exducer area might yield some back pressure for torque, until turbine efficiency is met and that's when the hp line can climb.
All theories. We shall see.

@COBFAB - Fair enough. If you were looking for a little more to the right, why not TD06SL2 in 7cm housing?
If that was too much lag then drop to 6cm housing.
These would have been my first thoughts ONLY because 8cm housings for the TD05H aren't available by themselves anymore..

@COBFAB - Fair enough. If you were looking for a little more to the right, why not TD06SL2 in 7cm housing?
If that was too much lag then drop to 6cm housing.
These would have been my first thoughts ONLY because 8cm housings for the TD05H aren't available by themselves anymore..

Simply because I want more than the SL2. I still think the 5H and SL2 turbines aren't quite enough for the 20g compressor wheel.
There are 8cm housings for the 5H turbine but it wouldn't be direct bolt-on.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Just a comparison photo, 20G wheel vs 14B

Clipped TD06H turbine vs TD05H turbine

Machined 20G bearing housing vs stock 14B.
WHO CAN CONFIRM THE LEFT HOUSING FOR ME?
I believe I took it from a GVR4.

Simply because I want more than the SL2. I still think the 5H and SL2 turbines aren't quite enough for the 20g compressor wheel.
Interesting. I've built billet 20G's using a KTS D652C wheel in stock-appearing compressor covers that logged an accurate 52 lb/min and trapped 134mph through an internal wastegate in a 7cm2 DSM-flanged housing mated to a TD06SL2 turbine.

Interesting. I've built billet 20G's using a KTS D652C wheel in stock-appearing compressor covers that logged an accurate 52 lb/min and trapped 134mph through an internal wastegate in a 7cm2 DSM-flanged housing mated to a TD06SL2 turbine.

Of course the SL2 combo is proven, Justin. Depends how we define what "enough" turbine is. I am wanting a wider torque band than what's already on graph.

What we consider "Enough."
We interpret compressor maps, which tell us what we can expect horsepower wise.
When they lay down power similar to what we interpreted i call that enough man. Don't you guys?

Def carry on, 'cause this IS gonna benefit the community (new info and all that).
[It's] just like you're trying to reinvent the wheel or some sh*t. And you're like REALLY stretching this (imho) instead of being a little more common sense.

Huge turbine, tiny ass A/R....

Last edited:
Not trying to reinvent anything, the compressor and turbine combo has existed for a while. Just wanting to see how this setup responds with this tiny turbine housing.

Here she is, the housing has all sorts of cracks, decided on keeping the fire ring.

Well since it seems this thread died I. The name of good sport and those who were interested in the result be there zero or this being an awsome rally style turbo I have come across an unscaved 6cm housing I can only post from my phone ATM so I cant upload any photos just yet

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back