1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G 1990 talon tsi no spark. I’m lost

Posted by Happys_TSI, Jun 18, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. Happys_TSI

Happys_TSI Proven Member

Joined Nov 29, 2017
    Oregon, Ohio
    so I pull my car out of storage. Drive it a solid 25-30 miles the car randomly dies at idle when I get home. Try to start and nothing but the smell of fuel. So I check spark, and No spark. My coils, wires and ptu are all brand new I put them in last summer. I tested my cas it works, I swapped in a bnew one still no spark. But I did notice while pulling it off there was some oil on the spindle of the cas. Could the oil getting on the cas cause no spark? After checking that And still no luck i sent my ecu to ecmtuning, they found some issues here and there that they fixed but my no spark problem is still there. I checked timing too and it’s all where it needs to be. So at this point idk, any input would help.

2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Start at the basics, check for power and ground at the cas, then check for signal output when spinning it by hand, then check for power and ground at the coils, power and ground at the ignition transistor, and output from the power transistor when the cas is spun by hand.

Drag Race Build 3K  16

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. mitsubishikid

mitsubishikid Proven Member

Joined Jun 8, 2009
    Turlock, California
    Pull the top timing belt cover off check for slack, Then Get the motor to TDC compression stroke on the #1 cylinder using a large 1/2 breaker bar on the crank bolt, do it by hand, and check to make sure your timing belt did not skip any teeth, if all timing marks line up you should be good on that front, I'd start there before you try cranking it over, just to stay on the safe side, maybe use a compression tester on all the cylinders while your at it just to make sure that all cylinders are good.

984  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  4. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    This is true, the timing belt may have broken, I guess I'm assuming that he would have known or checked for that.

Drag Race Build 3K  16

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    mitsubishikid likes this.
  5. sacrileger

sacrileger Proven Member

Joined Jun 26, 2016
    Orillia, ON, Canada
    check if your CEL stays ON for about 4s when you put the key in the ignition. If not, check this:
    1G basic ECU MPI circuit function
    No power to ECU

6. Happys_TSI

Happys_TSI Proven Member

Joined Nov 29, 2017
    Oregon, Ohio
    I’ve checked all that stuff several times to see if I missed anything. So after checking every possible thing, I got pissed and started looking for issues w the ptu wiring. Connector looks good and everything, so I decided to check for continuity. I start on pin 54, the spark output on the ecu, cuz I’m missing spark on 1 and 4. The multimeter gives no response when testing wire 54. So I test 55 cuz I have spark on 2&3, and it has continuity. So I swapped out a new wire for 54 and she fired right up.

mitsubishikid and curt-s like this.
  7. curt-s

curt-s Proven Member

Joined Dec 21, 2008
    Winterville, MB, Canada
    Nice work tracking it down!

Street Build 2K  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM