The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1025/2000 Galant vr4 Street Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With soft metals like aluminum, your natural strength should be enough. Especially with some type of lube, rotating 2 turns in and one out. Have you ever had a situation where the drill was absolutely necessary? (On a aluminum head)jw
Thinking back, no. The drill seemed a bit excessive at the time, but I never bothered to look up how others were doing it hahaha.

Well, disclaimer for anyone reading: don't test your luck with using a drill like I did.

I've done this on eight + DSM's, and I replace every exhaust stud, never had any issues except for what I mentioned LOL.

Guess doing it by hand is the preferred way?

You literally just said doing it that has given you problems, but you recommend it to others? How do you feel confident enough to tell someone to do something like that? It boggles the mind, honestly.

YES, turning by hand is preferred for hand taps.

You literally just said doing it that has given you problems, but you recommend it to others? How do you feel confident enough to tell someone to do something like that? It boggles the mind, honestly.

YES, turning by hand is preferred for hand taps.
He didnt recommend it brudder. He just mentioned that he goes that route. He was curious on what route HABITAT was using. Probably wanted to know the difference. Its all good

Does the goo happen because the vehicle sits on e85 or because you recently changed from pump& then it sat for the 3 months?
Oh it hasn't sat I've been driving it a lot except for that one week when Satan attacked 😄. Just 3 months with no update is what I meant.

Most ppl will say that the goo is from factory rubber fuel lines that weren't meant for e85. Others claim to be running e85 on factory lines for 10+ years and NEVER see e85 goo. Here's some info that you can believe or not haha I'm still not sure what I think.
Screenshot_20211215-231720_Chrome.jpg

We aren't going to have to wait until spring to check how they look with the 50/50 e85/unleaded mix tho, cause I pulled the injectors today in order to install some 12+yr old fic 1250s. The 850s were running too high idc even with the mix and I want to run full e85 in the summer. I also had my base fuel pressure set to 50psi to help the 850s out and I didn't care for that either.
20211215_141952.jpg
When I first tried starting the car it wouldn't. When we cleaned and flowed these injectors 2 months ago, they weren't opening at first. I chalked it up as a loss and figured it was cause they've sat in the garage for the past 11yrs. Well thankfully another car buddy was there and he took a screwdriver and started tapping on the injectors with it. One by one they opened up and started flowing 😄. Well they've sat again for the past 2 months and I guess they just needed a little tap again cause once I did that she fired right up and idled on its own 😲🙌

20211215_141646.jpg
850s look clean af. The unleaded gas works for sure.

Just an update for me, the bnib 12yr old garage/basement-kept aeromotive 340 crapped out last weekend. Wideband started leaning out about 1.5 miles from home. Thankfully the car made it home and swapped the trusty wally 255 back in.

Also installed a $15 ebay fuel pressure sensor and wired it into the egr input of the ecu. Set the base fuel pressure and took it for ONE drive before it quit working. Pretty sure it's failed because I had too much tension on the wires coming out of the sensor itself (had them stretched too tight). Live and learn.

Well new years came and went. Ended up getting a jump around 1am LOL drove it home 10 miles while keeping the rpms up at stoplights so it didn't stall out and die ugh LOL. Crazy thing is, I charged the battery and it's been fine since 🤷‍♂️. I think the battery terminal had an intermittent connection 🤦‍♂️.

So I've been driving the galant just enjoying it. Got the tune worked out pretty well. Pulling consistent 2.0-2.1 second 70-90mph times. Pulled a full car on a new 392 charger last week (they trap 112 stock) so that puts the galant in the range of my old 1g fwd tsi that trapped 114-116 consistent. Pretty happy with that considering the galant has a tired motor, a smaller turbo, and weighs about 400lbs more than my 1g did. Looking forward to hitting the track this spring for the first time in an awd.

Current order of business for the galant is replacing the old damper pulley. I picked up this bnib ATP brand (pn: 102082) damper off ebay for $35 shipped. I've read horror stories about the autozone brands coming apart on ppl even when new, but I don't have $400 for a new fluiddamper so what did I do?...what any real dsmer does haha, I improvised.
20220120_134422.jpg20220120_141443.jpg
20220120_140358.jpg20220120_141326.jpg
Remember this is a harmonic DAMPER, not a balancer. Yeah I changed it a little but I'm not worried about it. If my crank breaks down the road then I'll acknowledge this was a poor decision LOL but I think it will be just fine 👌

Future goals are to get the 1g to a reliable running/driving state and then drive and enjoy both cars until it warms up and then I'll do some bodywork on the galant 🤞🙏

So your alternator ended up being ok? I remember you posted you were stranded.plan on relocating it?
Yeah it seems to have been a poor battery terminal connection that caused it. And while I love the look of the alt relocate, idk if I'll ever do it. I just need to heat shield the alternator for now.

Well, the good weather coming all week and day off work today got to me and I started messing with the galant. Decided to swap swap 6cm turbine housing on the mhi16g back to the 7cm housing. Of course have to do some more cleanup while in there. On to pics

6cm housing off

20220228_161310.jpg
Wastegate flapper was.... bent?
20220228_171746.jpg
7cm/6cm turbine housing comparison

20220228_171534.jpg
20220228_171613.jpg
Had a broken mani to turbo gasket

20220228_172854.jpg
My workspace

20220228_170943.jpg
20220228_163124.jpg
20220228_172734.jpg
20220228_172754.jpg

When you put the housing back, it'll press that cap back and it won't touch the fins. I've never seen yellow propellers

Ahhh sweet makes sense. And yeah... I just ran seafoam through the intake about 5 miles before I took it apart. It was still smoking when I parked it I assume it's the seafoam cause the turbine wheel wasn't that color last time I pulled it.

Changed the rf wheel bearing a couple weeks ago. Didn't take any pics but man it's nice to have that roar/vibration gone.

Bought and installed a kiggky hla in hopes of pushing less oil out of the crankcase. It's helping but didn't stop it. (Terrible blowby)
20220422_152835.jpg 20220422_155236.jpg

Replaced my factory o2 housing with this o2 dump I bought from ebay for $90 with gaskets. The fit is perfect 🙌 but I had to come up with new hardware and the install was kinda shitty because of that.20220426_171941.jpg20220426_171916.jpg

Here's some side by side pics. You can see on the old o2 housing where the 7cm turbine outlet was blasting the perimeter of the o2 housing inlet.... no beuno for flow.
20220426_151702.jpg20220426_151634.jpg
20220426_151617.jpg

First impressions.... wow!! The spool-up and power delivery is WAY more linear and it seems to be holding power better up top, but I haven't really got on it too much yet. Planning to go out tonight and get a log/hopefully have to add more fuel to my SD table 🙏🤘. Seems to be a ripping mod performance-wise! At least for my setup

20220426_151546.jpg

Well, I am definitely happy with the o2 dump upgrade. I think that the 7cm turbine housing mated to the stock 1g/vr4 o2 housing (see pics above) was really causing a lot of turbulence and back pressure. Here's a couple wot logs from tonight. I didn't touch my tune from before the o2 housing swap when it was spot on. As you can see from the logs, I need to add quite a bit of fuel in some places (linwideband). It also helped spool and I feel like I am finally getting some decent mhi16g spool times. Also, I GRANNY SHIFTED the 2nd-3rd gear pull log because I'm just tuning. Don't bring it up LOL

Attachments

• 2nd and 3rd gear pull.elg
    23.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 3rd gear pull.elg
    18.7 KB · Views: 25
The bushing the flapper rides in walked out of the housing. You can hammer/press the bushing back into the housing and then tack it in place if you ever wanted to use that hotside on something again. I see this a lot on the ebay housings, can't say I've seen an MHI do it before. That'll hurt some spool though LOL

Is it "louder" w the dump? I have one of them too & mayyyyyybe, I might install it down the line 😅

I've been fighting an exhaust leak at the o2housing/downpipe flange, so really it's not any louder ha. It added a nice "swooooooooosh" sound haha. Also this car has a straight through "muffler", so during wot it's pretty loud anyway.

Eventually the plan is to put on a quiet muffler along with an exhaust cutout for the best of both worlds.

First update in a little over a month, but I've been wrenching my ass off on this mf LOL. First post, maintenance:

I was beyond-tired of the exhaust leak from the o2/downpipe flange. After going through 3 3 parts stores gaskets and none of them sealing right, I finally got it to seal using this beefy remflex gasket I got off Amazon. Here it is compared to the autozone gasket

20220517_154225.jpg20220517_170014.jpg

The new ebay o2 housing made removing the downpipe a reeeeal pain in the ass. I don't have a welder, so I jb welded some bolts into the o2 housing.
20220512_142020.jpg20220512_141956.jpg

Last up for this post was a passenger side trans output shaft seal and biss screw. The original screw was plastic, and I ended up breaking this plastic one upon install ugh. It's still idling great tho haha 🤷‍♂️
20220517_162516.jpg
20220517_172704.jpg

I'm way behind on updates. Also broke a phone a and lost a bunch of pics. Made it to the track... Some things happened. Cliff notes:

Xtd stage 3 slipped a time or two, I replaced it with a used unsprung act street disc. 10 days in (and 5 days before a planned trip to the track) the street disc separated from the hub while trying to get on the highway.

Got on eBay and ordered a xtd stage 4 unsprung kit for $90. The track outing was Saturday. I got the clutch in Friday night. Put about 40 miles on the new clutch (mostly highway) and ran 6 passes the next morning. Car (and driver) was having some issues and best I managed was a 13.1 @111. But I did womp on both of my buddies who've been talking shit for awhile, so that was cool.

That xtd clutch survived about 1200 more miles and a handful of street launches before it decided to let go. I replaced it with another xtd. So, obviously I like pulling transmissions.

I turned the boost up too much at the track and droce home that day smoking. Blew the e3 16g. Put a eBay 16g on it that I had laying around.

Replaced the throttle body shaft orings with real shaft seals. Wrapped another wideband cable up in an axle so it's been running open loop for awhile until I get another one. Old school style LOL 😅. She's running good tho! I feel like there's so much more but I guess those are the highlights. Replaced the turbo crush washers, did some light bodywork, guess that's about it.

Now, it's shootout time. I'm 4.5 hrs away and there's a few buddies going so I want to be ready and go too. I'll be posting more coming up as I prepare the car for the trip.

Last edited:
Why not just get a southbend disk? I used there full kevlar disks for many years at 500 with no issues. It was only when i went to a t4 turbo that it could no longer hold the TQ. I've always paired it with a act2600 and have had nothing but great success. In my last galant i used the dual friction disk and it held 40lb's on my gtx3076.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back