The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Street Build bkrathwohl's Galant VR4 #1228/2000

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where did you get the new hard brake line assemblies that attach to the front struts?

Nice I'm thinking about painting mine but make my own lines I'm using a 3g master cylinder. No want to build my own custom ss lines.

I left the stock lines alone and just cleaned them up and then bent up a custom line that runs across the engine bay to the passenger front. I snap some pics tonight

Nice I'm thinking about painting mine but make my own lines I'm using a 3g master cylinder. No want to build my own custom ss lines.

I mean you can deal with trying to get the right fittings and materials that you need for a good price, or just give JNZ $100 bucks for the right length hose with the right fittings? The kit includes the master to prop valve lines.

Unless you already had the materials I think its cheaper, easier, and faster just to get the kit. That's just my two cents.

I left the stock lines alone and just cleaned them up and then bent up a custom line that runs across the engine bay to the passenger front. I snap some pics tonight

The fittings wouldn't budge on my stock lines, so I had to cut them off. Instead of dealing with flaring fittings I opted to just get a new set with the ability to route wherever I wanted.

I started to tackle the rear bumper and brackets. What a disaster this area is.

GPA8OTI.jpg

sX9s8NI.jpg

Jhlkk4N.jpg

rLVveho.jpg

A couple bolts snapped so I drilled and tapped them.

1Fx7S59.jpg

1oJQmhG.jpg

NY068Jh.jpg

There is quite a bit of rust in this area. I was thinking of cutting some access areas where a sandblaster would be able to get in. That way I can get the inside powdercoated as well.

Next up is my radiator fan. I figured I could fab up some simple brackets to mount it to the four posts on my radiator.

8OjYtf9.jpg

gd1upFU.jpg

RUn1aVG.jpg

vfMJfAl.jpg

It's a simple setup, but it should work great. And it looks like it clears my turbo too!

Another shipment came in with all of my brake stuff. I can finally get the brakes on and bled! I am just using some cheapo pads to get a feel for the car. They will be replaced down the road.

QkY72AG.jpg

gCqQRU9.jpg

tRUJo8N.jpg

LG7e24P.jpg

This is also my first time using speed bleeders. Let me tell you, they are worth it! I am going to pick up a set for my Subaru as well.

I screwed up the install of one of my throttle body seals, so I ordered one of these from Brian!

71Dk6zK.jpg

It made the install SUPER easy! What a brilliant piece of engineering. I also ordered a new ISC from Autozone. It comes with a lifetime warranty and looks just like my factory one.

keETqrW.jpg

This allowed me to finish up my throttle body rebuild.

JzWNLWc.jpg

Now that all of the sensors are in the water neck, and various ports had been blocked off/relocated, I can remount that and finish up the wiring.

OIqcGvg.jpg

S8YKghl.jpg

I received my circuit breaker so I fabbed up a little bracket to mount it to in my trunk. I initally cut and ran my power cord to it but was very unhappy with the routing.

4S5YVN7.jpg

Then I discovered this little hole.

r8OFRzI.jpg

Much better!

wLkqqDf.jpg

I'm sure the delivery man loves me! So many goodies.

Bqe90m1.jpg

W2Nmiqc.jpg

Now to make a couple more power wires.

OU4byVr.jpg

BWqcPER.jpg

AioM0ww.jpg

Whoa, feels weird to actually see lights on the dash. I've not seen them before!

7xzECnm.jpg

Now to see if the ECU works...

d13TZDR.jpg

Woot!! Updates!

FX07sKq.jpg

itspwnE.jpg

It seems my automatic seat belts and power windows/locks/sunroof aren't working for the time being. Not sure if its a fuse, some control unit I removed, a bad window switch. I'll have to troubleshoot later.

I was able to convince a buddy to trade in his STi for this bad boy!

U7aI7r3.jpg

It's definitely not fast (at least compared to what I am used to driving), but it sure is fun. This thing grips! The brakes as well... so good. It really is a reminder to do basic maintenance. I have Brembos all around on my Subaru and this thing was ridiculous in comparison.

Anyway, back to it. My intake pipe arrived. I need to get a bung welded in for a catch can.

J3PkMNZ.jpg

Hopefully this is the final assembly for the fenders. I tried to get some pictures of the passenger side being misaligned. I'm hoping its something a body shop can figure out down the road. For now, at least, everything is on.

FhffiTj.jpg

nbs4vcY.jpg

EuJ6ecd.jpg

wIItKZb.jpg

Annnnnd my intercooler is crooked...

cM7Hcs9.jpg

I received my water pipe and power steering reservoir as well. They turned out perfect!

94VQv4P.jpg

1Tc3aHW.jpg

Some new parts!

cQOxSul.jpg

veVQBbE.jpg

Some 10an line for my catch can, more fittings arrived after I took this picture.

a8noyrJ.jpg

The S pipe I ordered doesn't bend quick enough, instead of dealing with cutting it I just opted for the FP 4" intake.

y3HJrX7.jpg

A small coolant overflow tank, and a 3 port 10an catch can from Gamble Garage.

Gt5EO4x.jpg

q8LivST.jpg

In preparation for another load to get powder coated I tore into my rear bumper support. This thing was RUSTY! I cut the bottom off to get an idea of what I was dealing with.

asFCXGL.jpg

It doesn't look too great in there.

63lKHAf.jpg

There are two little plates on each side that seem to be the main areas of rust. It doesn't really look like they are supporting anything, so I drilled the spot welds to get them out.

LgmRI2s.jpg

s2TrOa0.jpg

aOxfQJa.jpg

4xH5jAA.jpg

And the rest of the brackets:

j13Sols.jpg

The water pipe that I had modified will not work, the coolant fitting for the turbo is right in the spot that needed to be dented.

Luckily one of my friends had an N/A water pipe for me. This was after some denting. This compressor housing is gigantic.

QBt0Qya.jpg

I also did not realize how close the oil drain was to hitting the motor mount, so I had to get a little creative.

9OYuzhu.jpg

DG2U3r6.jpg

fURX7ku.jpg

yrMrgBY.jpg

I will likely see if I can get a different, slimmer, mount up front at some point. This metal is pretty thick though, I don't think this will have an adverse effect.

Keeping with the turbo modifications, I needed to tap a couple of fittings on the compressor housing. One will be for my boost controller and the second is for my BOV.

OsjHIg2.jpg

3T6xhsM.jpg

I also picked up a couple of flexible radiator hoses from Gates. It looks like they will work great!

3sUlMfu.jpg

Next up: Bracket day

Starting with my coolant reservoir, I whipped up a little mounting solution to put it by the radiator.

xQAG79O.jpg

0pcJY6L.jpg

On to a harder one... I had planned on mounting the catch can towards the firewall (by the washer fluid reservoir). I didn't realize how much stuff was in this area. It couldn't be mounted close to the firewall as it would be resting on my fuel filter.

I toyed with mounting it in a few other places, but having the mounting tab on the top and three chunky 10an fittings really limits options.

After some trial and error I ended up with this for a solution. Originally, I did not have the lower brace. The top portion of the firewall is EXTREMELY flexible though, the catch can was bouncing all over the place.

AOEj8Af.jpg

Uj7OgrN.jpg

Finally, with everything mounted up, it's looking good!

etRUHov.jpg

I need to pipe in my catch can to my intake. I purchased an aluminium weld-in bung. After some playing, I decided to put it right on top. It is the easiest place and won't interfere with anything else. I'm bringing it in today to get it welded on.

xKaEH3L.jpg

Lastly, I had to deal with my driver side engine splash shield. I haven't been able to locate a splash shield for a Galant VR4. I thought I struck gold a while back but it ended up being a 2g splash shield.

I had a couple to play with so I decided to modify one. This is what i've ended up with so far. It fits pretty well but I might toy with it a bit more later on.

Stock 2g (top) and custom 2g (bottom):

Td9Zb39.jpg

Some updates, first of all I wasn't terribly pleased with the AN fitting orientation on my valve cover. I didn't really want to have to deal with getting the baffle re-welded if I were to change it either, so I picked one up from Detective Coating.

eXz5VWZ.jpg

I have to say, for the price tag i'm not terribly pleased with it. There is some weird yellow tint that my powdercoater had no issues with. I noticed a scratch immediately when I took it out of the box, and there were some blue smears in my white lettering. These are nitpicky things I admit, I just figured I should share my experience. To be fair they did offer to try to buff out the scratch and sand the lettering down, I didn't want to deal with sending it back.

With that, I was able to fit my oil catch can fitted and run the lines to it. I'm still waiting on one 90* fitting to finish that up.

736EhyG.jpg

I was able to go and pick up the parts that I dropped off to my powdercoater. They turned out great, as always.

gxYgUwy.jpg

On goes the rear bumper (and front bumper)!

kgf2UAr.jpg

0zsJq1s.jpg

TQbeVMf.jpg

Another area that i'm having issues with is this stupid oil drain. The HX35 sits right on top of the motor mount, as detailed previously. I'm having a hard time getting a line to take the route to the oil pan without kinking.

Ktwo9tK.jpg

To make some more room in that area I hacked one of the fittings and welded it straight to the oil flange.

flOyzNT.jpg

bpy8MwW.jpg

Much Better!

3IbjETj.jpg

Note: I did extend that oil line a touch, It was a tad too short to thread on to the oil pan fitting. I also trimmed some more off of the motor mount.

I don't think I documented this yet. I picked up a Tial Q and an older Tial V44 vband wastegate for a steal.

There was some crappy black paint on the wastegate so I took a wire wheel to it to give it the brushed aluminium look. The Tial Q will go on at a later date.

B1uTXUy.jpg

While I was in there I figured it would be best just to rebuild the wastegate.

ccTe7ao.jpg

Q5ABZ5N.jpg

I'm sure you all see this coming, now I need a new o2 housing, JMF to the rescue!

u5eXXI9.jpg

I have to say, getting the wastegate on to the o2 housing was a HUGE PITA. I'm sure i was doing it wrong, but man did it take some work.

ExtremePSI was nice enough to make a video and send it to me on how to install it, using the vband clamp to pull the wastegate into the flanges (which seems wrong to me).

GHOuwtG.jpg

deRFNrs.jpg

At this point the turbo can be permanently mounted. I spent a day getting all the other little things in order as well (power steering, plugs, wires, etc).

7jfXMba.jpg

Downpipe as well!

p1qqVHv.jpg

It looks like I will need to get a longer lower radiator hose though...this damn turbo being too big again.

nWTIiRL.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back