The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Who all builds the Big T-28?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It took me a bit to get it cause I guess there was a backorder on some of the parts from QuarterMaster but I got my clutch in today. Nate from MAPerformance hooked me up on making sure it went out as fast as possible for me once the parts were in. So I got the clutch today and here's the pics compared to the 4 puck clutch disc that served me well. Trying to get my car back up and running as fast as possible cause I have a trip to make on Wednesday. Pretty nervous about making the deadline. Anyway, here's the pics.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks. I'd get a lot done a lot faster if I had some bigger checks and more often. Lol. Sorry the progress is slow but I'm working on it as fast as I can.

So yesterday I thought I'd weigh the 2 clutch assemblies to see the difference. Surprised that the weight was pretty close. But with the QuarterMaster, the weight is near the center and sure it'll hold way more power. But took pics. Figured SOMEONE would wanna know. Also spent the entire day trying to punch holes in the frame for my alternator relocation kit so that I could run the wires through the frame and not around the motor. Put a hole with a grommet in it on the front side of the motor, and then again on the rear. Figured this would be the cleanest way to do it. But my engine bay really needs a paint job. Oh well. Ordering my Tial bov today or on black friday. Then all I'll need is my i/c piping and my fmic will be hooked up.

So the car's almost back together. Clutch and tranny is back in the car (although one of the seals is leaking and have to take the driver's side cv joint out tomorrow to try and replace it). The alternator relocation is about done. Just need to solder 4 wires for the plug and it's done. Just need about $200 and I'll have the rest of my i/c piping and I'll be able to hook up the i/c, gm maf, new intake pipe, etc.

Front of the motor where the wiring goes into the frame.

Rear of the motor where the wiring exits the frame and to the alternator. I'm hoping the belt is tight enough cause I'm out of adjustment unless I grind on the adjustment rod, which I don't care to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Annnnd, no more broken front motor mount for me. Broke 3 and got tired of replacing them.

Annnnd, no more broken front motor mount for me. Broke 3 and got tired of replacing them.

You broke 3 STOCK mounts? Or ones with the Poly inserts in them?

Stock ones. The front and rear was busted when I bought the car. Replaced them with ones from Rockauto but those busted within a week. Ordered another set and the front one busted in about a month. The rear one is cracked but not too bad. Instead of getting another front one and keep having to deal with warranty crap, I decided to weld it and make it solid.

Car has been down for about a month now. Fired it up today for the 1st time. Won't drive it till Monday. Can't wait.

After a month of my car being down, it runs again. Little dirty. Needs a new turbine housing cause it has some broken bolts in it. Need to tune it some as well. As soon as I hit the gas it wants to die when letting off the gas. Anywho, just a short video of a walk-a-round. Cleaning it tomorrow. And yes, my car is loud. Enjoy. I'll post up some better vids soon.

Okay, decision making time. I'll just say that I'll go with whatever the majority rules. Have until around the 1st of January before I do anything involving money. Personally, I'm tired of the T-28 cause although I'm aiming to break a record here, I dunno how easy/hard it'll be to do that with the modifications I'll have on this thing with a huge fmic and 3" i/c pipes and all. And honestly, I'm not all that impressed with this thing, even if I do manage to make a faster time.

But here's my situation. The T-28 that's on my car right now is great as far as any shaft play BUT, it has 2 broken bolts where it bolts up to the manifold, and the other 2 holes are kinda stripped so it's not bolting up tightly. On the O2 housing side, it has one broken off there too. So I either need to buy a new turbine housing from FP that's around $275 plus shipping, or send off my T-25 housing and have it machined to T-28 specs as well as get some bolts drilled out of that one as well....and still probably spend close to the amount of just having one shipped to me.

So I can either spend close to $300 for a new turbine house for this dang thing, or get a turbo that'll breathe a little better for the time being until I can throw on my HX-52. I know FP has a 20g for around $200 more, or can maybe find a smaller Holset for cheap as well. Anyway, what do you guys think and what would you do? I'll do whatever you guys say. Stick with the T-28, or swap to a larger turbo. Lemme know.

I don't think the t-28 is worth spending another $200-$300 on it to make it work. If you already have a BEP housing for a holset I would find a cheap holset. Then again, if the t28 is okay and the broken bolts aren't causing a problem, why not just stick with it?

Yeah, I have yet to get anyone on here saying to keep it and it's really not worth it to me. Guessing no one really cares. I wouldn't mind breaking a record but overall it's just gonna be hard on a bunch of parts just to make slower times than I care for. So trying to buy a 20g that one of the members has up for sale and will have that around the 1st of January.

Yeah, if you pick up that 20g you can probably sell the t28 for $200 or so to make some of your money back. I really want a larger turbo also, but I'm having starting issues right now, but I haven't had the time to really diagnose the problem since I'm helping my friend swap a v6 in his MR2.

Heck, right now I'd sell it for $150 shipped if someone was interested. Still using it on my car though so I'd have to take it off and throw on my T-25 until I can get the 20g. The decision has been made. Anxious to feel the difference of a nice little 20g installed on the car :) I know it's gonna be much better than the T-28.

Well, so far you're the only one saying to keep it. And being that no one really seems to show any interest in it, I've decided to just upgrade a bit until I have all the parts I need for the HX-52. I've also promised the guy trying to sell me the turbo that I'd buy it from him once I get paid, and I don't wanna be one of "those guys" that has someone hold a part for me and then back out. So I'll be going with the 20g (guessing it's the sleeper 20g being that it's in the 16g housing), and installing it here hopefully in a few weeks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back