The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Who all builds the Big T-28?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for the input guys. Plan on going with a 1g non-turbo throttle body when I upgrade the intake manifold. Only concern I have about the intercooler is it not cooling well enough. Trying to get it as cold as possible and afraid of it being too small to do that, unlike the bigger one.

Cause it can cool the air better, less of a pressure drop, and more power.

I honestly didn't even think about that. Just did a lot of research on em and everything I read, totally makes sense. I looked up his pics after you mentioned that. Looks like a PWR intercooler from what I can tell. I'd like to make mine go pretty fast as well but I want mine to drive on the street so mine won't be anywhere near as light as his.

Do these water/air get mounted in the same place as a fmic ? i have seen some cars with no fmic or intercoolers at all just some round looking tube put in the upper intercooler pipe. is this is where this goes?

The heat exchanger would go in the place where the i/c would normally go. And some people may mistake it for a fmic, but it's not. The heat exchanger is like a radiator in that the water goes thru it and take away the heat and cools it down, and then back to the i/c. But the advantage is that you can also get a separate tank to dump in water and i/c to get it really cold. I wanna go with a rather large heat exchanger as well as the tank. I figure that the more water I have, the longer it'd take for it to heat up, thus keeping the temps cool. The ONLY thing I'm debating on is which i/c would be best to go with for my setup.

P.S. Check out www.frozenboost.com. They have a lot of kits to choose from and good reading on why it's better to use them over the usual air/air setup. And the exact reason I'm going with one.

I dunno how the other guys with the T-28 are doing but I got an idea of how my car is doing last night when I had my 1st race. Met up with a buddy of mine that has an Evo and we decided to get a couple of runs in. When it was totally stock he ran an 8.3 in the 1/8th. Now he has a catback and a tune but think that was it. We went from about 40 mph since I don't have awd....yet.

1st run, I pulled away immediately but knew I pulled away so hard that I knew something was wrong. He missed 3rd.

2nd run, he started out just a tad ahead of me when we started. He honked 3 times and we gunned it. I started in 2nd and we stayed even. 3rd gear, he started pulling just a small bit. Hit 4th and he pulled a little bit more. I shut it down at the top of 4th (have no clue how fast I was going but think the speed limiter of the crappy GST ecu was kicking in). When I shut it down, I was at his rear bumper so he BARELY pulled on me.

Ordering more parts in about a week or 2. Ecmlink, and try to get my side exit exhaust done. Sure after those things I'll be pulling away from him. I was also only on 15 psi, dropping down to 12 or lower. Need the FP wastegate pretty bad. I think it would've turned out totally different with a steady 20 psi or so. I did WAAAAY better than I thought I would since I knew he ran an 8.3 before and I barely have any actual "go-fast" mods.....yet. Anyway, just my update. The best image I can give as to how fast my car is since I don't have any timeslips yet.

P.S. This was on a closed road in the middle of nowhere and no one around for anyone that needs/cares to know.

Yeah, you need the upgraded actuator it'll make a huge difference at 20 psi. Haven't been down the track with my t28 yet either though.

Hmm. There is a massive difference between 15 psi and 20psi on the T28. When you get the confidence, there is a massive difference between 20psi and 25 psi on the T28. If you get things nailed right, you should be able to hold 25 psi dropping to 19 psi, thats with cams.

You definitely need the 17 psi actuator. The main problem is the wastegate valve itself is just a tad big, which is helping to blow it open, along with the weak actuator spring and small actuator diaphram in contrast to the 16g actuators which have no problems holding boost.

Wait till you get ECMLink, your entire world is going to change for the better. The amount of power your going to make is gonna shock you. With speed density, you should be able to crack 400 crank h.p., or 350 w.h.p. if your setup correctly. The main problem is turbine back pressure, it is way the hell to high with the T28 hotside. Slap on a 16g and you notice instantly the hotside is freer flowing under all driving conditions, this is why running high boost on a T28 is punishing to the motor. I ran 25 psi on race gas with the T28, car was loving it. Crank the boost to 27 psi and a big drop off in power occurred. I had all the parts in my profile I do now, including speed density, but there is a limit to the boost you can run before the motor starts hating you.

I lacked possibly the short runner sheetmetal intake manifold and maybe big huge cams. The intake manifolds make a difference though. When I thought I was out of compressor, I slapped an EVO3 manifold on and was shocked by the topend increase, so I know the potential is there. Maybe 420 crank h.p. given a smim and big nasty cams. Otherwise, you need every trick in the book.

I honestly don't see much more than this without Curt Brown style zen magic, but its possible if you stick with it long enough. I got tired of it and moved on.

EVO's have nasty topend. My neighbor just got his tuned with the usual turboback exhaust, 4" intercooler, and basic mods. Truely a nasty topend for a stock EVO turbo.

Sure my side exit exhaust will help a lot since it'll only be 2-3 feet long when it's done. Wanna get the actuator but only have so much money coming in each month. Lol. After Link, water/air intercooler, fuel pump, and injectors, actuator will be next on the list for sure. I totally hate seeing the boost drop off from where I have it set at cause I know it could've helped. Especially when it's dropping to 12 psi or so. Would prefer to be running 20-25 psi and be holding it around that area.

Sure my side exit exhaust will help a lot since it'll only be 2-3 feet long when it's done. Wanna get the actuator but only have so much money coming in each month. Lol. After Link, water/air intercooler, fuel pump, and injectors, actuator will be next on the list for sure. I totally hate seeing the boost drop off from where I have it set at cause I know it could've helped. Especially when it's dropping to 12 psi or so. Would prefer to be running 20-25 psi and be holding it around that area.

$100 shipped including paypal fees. :D It would cost you like $20 more from FP. Mine is just as new as theirs. :hellyeah: Let me know.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered Ecmlink V3lite today and the wastegate actuator from jjrock5 as well. Holding off on the side exit exhaust for right now (although I'm wanting it done pretty badly. Had some other issues arise. My tranny lost 1st and 2nd gear so I had to tear it apart and use parts from 3 different transmissions to try and make one "decent" one. Next month I'll be ordering my water/air setup but dunno if I'll get around to the exhaust setup just yet or not. That's on hold for the moment.

So I was wanting to install my wideband today (AEM analog, the one on the column) and I snapped off the old O2 sensor in the O2 housing. Guess it was either misthreaded or rusted in there. I went ahead and wired it up and all until tomorrow. A buddy is bringing over another O2 housing. Then Monday I'll be prepared for V3lite. Figured I'd take a quick vid though although it's really dark and not real clear but better than nothing. Electronic Glowshift gauges on the pillar (Boost, fuel pressure, and oil pressure), and AEM wideband.

Yeah, Ecmlink V3lite came in. Trying to get it all figured out. Have the wideband installed and working properly. Also ordered the wastegate actuator from JJrock5 and it has come in as well and installed. Took off my boost controller and ran a line (short line) straight from the turbo to the wastegate actuator. But boost is still dropping off. Would think it'd hold but not sure if the boost controller needs to go back on or wondering if the line is too short and maybe all the boost pressure going through the line is great enough to be pushing open the wastegate. Not sure. It falls just the same as the stock wastegate. So guess I need to get that figured out.

I keep meaning to take some pics of everything but I'm either busy with school and work, or as soon as I wash it, it rains. Or the landscapers at my apartment complex come and cut the grass and gets my car all dirty. Really pisses me off too!!!

Haven't done much in the way of tuning cause I'm waiting for the update to be released where Lite will have the sliders to adjust the fuel/timing, etc. My tune isn't all that far off though. I'm running stock injectors and fuel pump and I've only pushed the injectors to maybe 90%. Afr's goes down to about 10.5 at the top of the rpm's. And I'm only flowing about 27 lb/min....at the moment. On the stock actuator, it was hitting 17 psi and quickly fell to around 8-9 psi. With the new one, I've looked over and see it dropping to about 12 or so.

Next month I'm debating on getting a mini laptop to make it easier for tuning, or go ahead and get the side exhaust exhaust done. The laptop won't give me more power and I'm already using a laptop now. Would just make it more convienent if anything cause I don't like carrying around this big thing. Whereas the side exit exhaust will definitely make a difference. Problem I've had lately is just finding time to work on my car. Anyway, decisions decisions. My transmission lost 1st and 2nd gear about a week ago and I had to rebuild my tranny. Had to use parts from 3 different transmissions to make one good tranny that'd shift good. I was planning on installing the alternator relocation kit but tranny took priority and now I don't know when I'll get the time :(

Okay okay, here's a few pics of my car but keep in mind that it's lowered all the way around now. Pics were taken with just the front lowered. Have Megan Racing springs and I love em. Cheap, and they dropped the car exactly where I wanted it. I've had Sprint springs Eibach Sportlines before and hated them both. The front was higher than the rear on both but this drop is perfect and the ride isn't harsh by any means in comparison.

Anyway, here's the pics I have for now. Car has come along way since when I first got it, with ugly wheels, yellow calipers, half-assed wiring that was spliced together and bare wire showing and shorted out my gauges, as well as other problems I've knocked out. I also have new door handles at the paint shop I have to go and pick up too. I'll post more pics when I get a chance.

Took off my boost controller and ran a line (short line) straight from the turbo to the wastegate actuator. But boost is still dropping off. Would think it'd hold but not sure if the boost controller needs to go back on or wondering if the line is too short and maybe all the boost pressure going through the line is great enough to be pushing open the wastegate. Not sure. It falls just the same as the stock wastegate. So guess I need to get that figured out.

Have you tried adjusting the arm? If you run the a hose like you said you should be running the lowest boost that the spring is rated for, which is 17 psi.

I know. I was trying to run 17 psi. May have to get the boost controller back on though.

No, you won't run 17 psi. That's because the exhaust pressure is going to assist the actuator in blowing the valve open earlier. Its going to be more like 14 psi if your lucky and everything else on the car is freeflowing like the intake setup for instance.

Yeah, gonna throw it back on. Think I need longer vacuum lines as well. I'll post more soon. Thomas Dorris released the update for V3lite so I can now start tuning MUCH easier now :) Woohoo!!! Gotta go to work here soon so gonna do a log or 2 on the way. Yeehaw!!!

Okay, so I got the new release in of Ecmlink V3lite but no adjustments made yet. I did go out and do a 3rd gear pull though. Running a little lean up top now with about 3 degrees of knock. Airflow is around 27 lb/min, fuel injectors only got to about 92 percent, and the horsepower was 265 but not sure if that's wheel or crank that it estimates. Fuel trims are a little off but gonna fix that hopefully come Thursday.

Anyway, it looks like I've decided to get a mini laptop at the 1st of the month cause this piece of crap dies on me after about 5 minutes when it's unplugged. Screw that.

I also hooked up my manual boost controller and had to turn it down some cause it hit 25 psi pretty quick. It's spiking to around 20 psi and then drops to 15 and holds so I'm not sure if it's the boost controller (Turboxs) or what. The exhaust is stock other than a gutted cat and I cut it off after the 1st resonator....for now. If it's spiking like this right now, I can only imagine if I had a side exit exhaust. So IF I need to get another boost controller, I'm going electronic. Possibly a Profec or something. If I get a Pell Grant at the beginning of the summer, along with my GI bill, I'll have most of my major bolt-ons on before the end of summer if not right at the beginning.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back