The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Who all builds the Big T-28?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ive never thought of asking FP. I think I will one of these days.

don't go trying to break the record, that's mine to defeat. Only got another 16hp to go... (332whp/345wtq)

As far as I know, the record (that's been recorded via actual dyno) is Dennis Grant at 348/376.

Unfortunately, my battery died (lost my tune on V2) and my laptop took a 5hit (so, no saved tune)....

My crank was garbage anyway, so when I get around to finding all my tools (and the time to do the work) I'm building a 9.5:1 stroker. Hoping for 400ft-lbs+ at the wheels. (420 would make me happy) and 360-375whp. Race you to the finish for it???

Considering using an external WG to hold the boost better (like tial 38/44mm), plus then I'd have one after I break the record and switch to a real turbo like an FP 3582hta

Well if you break it, I'll come right after that. I wanna beat it bad enough that I don't have to worry for awhile. Lol. But I'm waiting for V3Lite to come out for my tuning. Figure after I get a good time on the T-28, I'll upgrade to a Holset for the extra power. My car is basically stock "right now" but plan to change that really quickly in the next month or 2 if everything goes my way.

jjrock5,

Loren Jacobs. That's the guy from the FP site. (i was on the site today, and there's actually a review on there by him - yes, it's a him)

Ive read that review so many times. I just never put them two together. haha

How much power you think he's making?

Well, hoping this project gets underway here pretty soon. Have to order a new clutch on the 5th. Been debating on a 4 or 6 puck unsprung clutch disc but think I'm gonna man up and grow some balls and go with the 4 puck with a Fidanza with a Spec pp. Every little bit will help me to get that extra bit of power I'm gonna need to get the job done. Hoping the money I'm looking for will be here in the next month or 2 and then I'll start posting some pics and updates. Not wanting this to be a bench racing type of thing. I hate that.

Just an update but I went with the 4 puck with Fidanza and Spec pp and bumped the boost up to 16 psi and it's a HUGE difference in power just from that. Can't wait to actually get some more mods and crank the boost up a lil more. Sure this record can't be all that hard to beat really.

Any updates for us? I finally got link installed and waiting for another 300 miles on my break in to crank up the boost. Does your clutch pedal feel light? I have a 6 puck with a spec pp and my clutch pedal feels super light.

No updates right now, but only because I've been poor. Just started college though and waiting for some of that money to roll in. Work money plus school money will set me up to be able to start modding again. Right now my wires are bad and causing me to sputter at around 10psi so can barely get on it. Soon as I get my 1st check, I'll be upgrading the wires and bov. When my GI Bill starts rolling in, I'll be getting my side exit exhaust, wideband, ecmlink, and fuel mods. Hopefully have enough to do the water/air i/c setup at well. I'll post when I have more to tell but right now, nothing exciting. Sorry.

Oh, and as for the clutch, I'm still lovin it. Light pedal pressure, quick revs, and no worries about popping springs or it not holding enough power. And it's doing fine in stop and go traffic.

Cool, well keep us posted, not many people run this turbo and all threads about this turbo end up dying LOL.

Nah, I'll start posting updates as soon as the money starts rolling in. Just don't wanna bore anyone with what I "plan" to do. Sure everyone would rather see what I actually do and the results of it.

Well yesterday I picked up a Forge bov for $50. Woohoo!!! Then today my MSD plug wires and my oil pressure gauge came in today. Installed the bov yesterday and the plug wires today and my car is FINALLY running good again. So freakin happy right now. It had been sputtering at around 10 psi. Think I'm gonna install my boost controller on it tomorrow that I have in the closet to bump up the boost a wee bit. At the moment I'm waiting for my GI Bill check. They're telling me it's taking around 4 months before I get a check. If that's the case I'm expecting around $5200. Only plan to spend around $2k out of it on the car but here's the future mod list when that happens....not including some of the small stuff that I'll need, along with the side exit exhaust that's my biggest priority to me right now. I figure $2k on the car, pay bills, and take my woman out on a cruise to some tropical place we've never been before.

1st phase (With GI Bill check)
$120 -Lowering springs (Extremepsi)
$120 –Camber kit (ebaymotors)
$70 –alignment
$35 -Valve cover gasket
$70 –Front and rear stock motor mounts (cause they're busted)
$266 -850cc injectors (Extremepsi)
$95 –Walbro 255 Fuel Pump (Extreme PSI)
$345 -Dsmlink
$25 -Turbo outlet flange
$220 –Innovate Wideband O2 sensor (Ebay)
$150 -Alternator relocation kit (Jay Racing)
$73 –Urethane Motor mounts (Extremepsi)
$500 -Water/Air Intercooler kit
Total -$2089
--------------------------------------------------------------
2nd phase (next grant check or whatever it takes to get this)
$690 –JMFab Drag Intake Manifold (Extremepsi)
$275 -FP Exhaust manifold (Forced Performance)
Total -$965

More mods to follow but this is the initial stuff.

Well, both the front and rear mounts are busted. I don't really have a lot of time to have my car down waiting for that stuff to dry. Just wanna throw in some new mounts and go.

Well, both the front and rear mounts are busted. I don't really have a lot of time to have my car down waiting for that stuff to dry. Just wanna throw in some new mounts and go.

Rockauto.com is your friend my friend. :thumb:

104877d1262738098-jjrock5-gsx-under-construction-dsc03708.jpg

More info:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/345171-jjrock5-gsx-under-construction-9.html#post152082211

Sweet. Thanks. That'll save me some money. They're less than what I can get them at my work even after my 20% discount. Anyway, I'll probably do the window weld thing later on with the busted ones. Need to look into how to do that though.

Okay, I just ordered a few parts. Lowering springs, camber kits, alternator relocation kit, turbo outlet flange, valve cover gasket, front and rear motor mounts (thanks for the link on that one), and decided to go with an AEM analog wideband. Hate how digital gauges jump around too much and you can't see how it progresses or spikes.

Installed my boost controller and running about 16psi but it quickly drops off. Need to upgrade the crappy wastegate. Next month I wanna try and get my injectors, fuel pump, ecmlink, and finish up my side exit exhaust. After that, water/air i/c and the intake manifold. Think it should be running pretty good around that time.

Keep on updating us with your build I also run this same turbo & I am very interested in the result's & thanks for doing something nobody else is with the this turbo.

Sure thing :thumb: It's been kinda frustrating to find anyone else with a good amount of info and their setups (like the guy who holds the current record for example), so figure it's best to just do it myself. I'll for sure post the updates when I get em.

Got to thinking about it more though and I'm sure a lot of people wonder what the cost is when ya get up to a certain level. So I guess I'll help out a lil and post up what everything is costing me overall thus far (not including future mods). Keep in mind that I try and shop around a good bit though. Posting up if it was new or used and where I got it if it's new. Not including shipping cost. I'll post up pics once I have some of the parts in hand or installed. Hope this helps people out.

Car- $1800.
Rota Subzero wheels with "new" tires- $Free (traded with a guy who wanted my stock wheels. Yeah, I didn't argue).
Big T-28- $150 (used)
Forge Bov- $50 (used)
K&N filter- $Free from a buddy, but need to get another one.
Glowshift boost gauge- $74.99 (new)(Glowshift.com)
Glowshift fuel pressure gauge- $89.99 (new)(Glowshift.com)
Glowshift oil pressure gauge- $89.99 (new)(Glowshift.com)
Gauge Pillar- $Free. Already had it in the car along with very cheap gauges
MSD plug wires- $94.90 (new)(Extremepsi)
Fidanza Flywheel- $189.95 (new)(Extremepsi)
Spec pressure plate- $I forget. (new) Bought the stage 3 kit from Titanmotorsports and didn't use the pressure plate until now. Used the disc on another car before I sold it.
Flywheel bolt kit- $45.00 (new)(ForcedPerformance.com)
Act 4 puck unsprung clutch disc- $84.80 (new)(Extremepsi.com)
Redline MT-90 Gear oil- $32.85 (new)(Extremepsi) Price is for 3 quarts.
AEM analog Wideband- $199.80 (new)(Extremepsi.com)
Turbo outlet flange- $14.99 (new)(MAPerformance.com) JMFab has it for $62.50 (insane). Roadrace has it for about $35.
TurboXS MBC- $50 (used)
Megan Racing Lowering Springs- $119.95 (new)(Extremepsi) I went with these cause I plan on doing an awd conversion and the springs will work with awd and fwd so no need to buy another set of springs.
Camber Kits Front- $95.00 (new)(Ebaymotors.com)
Camber Kits Rear- $33.95 (new)(Ebaymotors.com)
Front clear markers- $8.99 (new)(Ebaymotors.com)
Clear rear tail lights- $150 (used)
Front motor mount- $14.74 (new)(Rockauto.com)
Rear motor mount- $23.79 (new)(Rockauto.com)
Valve cover gasket- $17.14 (new)(Rockauto.com)
Ecmlink V3lite- $375 (new)(Ecmlink.com) socket service included
FP Wastegate actuator -$90 (believe it's new)(jjrock5)
JMF battery kit- $260 (MAperformance)

Last edited:
Got the parts I ordered today. Wideband, lowering springs, etc. Woohoo!!!

Anyway, researching water/air intercoolers and debating between 2 of them but not sure what the T-28 is rated at as far as cfm's. Anyone know by chance?

Barrel Style Water to Air Intercooler

or

Barrel Style Water to Air Intercooler

I'd say I'd automatically go with the bigger of the 2 but was trying to keep the piping around 2.5 inch. But if I do that, they say that intercooler is rated at 450 cfm's so dunno if that'll do. Thanks for any help on this. I must say that what I'm doing is from ideas I've gotten from this forum over the years. And it's sure appreciated.

Its rated at 505 cfm at 14.7 psi, about 550 cfm choke flow. The map has been posted all over the internet, its the Garrett GT28 RS 60mm 62 trim compressor wheel. The newer map has been derated but the older maps pretty much illustrate the airflow potential.

I'd go with the smaller one. When you start making the engine breathe better, you're getting more flow at lower boost pressure, which means you're moving to the right on the compressor map. Go too far and you hit choke. You're going to want to minimize pumping losses as much as you can to most effectively use all that flow, so you don't want to be wasting volume on an intercooler that is larger than necessary (I think my small 16g probably could have gone faster if I had done the same and not switched to such a larger IC). This is also why I would recommend holding off on the SMIM until after you've tried throwing some cams in there.

A couple more suggestions: go on ebay and buy a 1G throttle body. It's a really cheap and easy upgrade and the difference between the two is significant. Also, while you're on ebay, buy yourself an electric die grinder and some carbide bits (one of the best tools I've ever bought) and port the hell out of your turbine housing. Way back when, I spent $3.50 on a ported 14b that ran like a raped ape before I switched it out with my small 16g, which definitely did not run like a raped ape. But after porting the turbine housing and exhaust manifold, and putting in some Web cams (and spending hours at the track setting them up), the car was wayyy faster. Which is another thing: that FP manifold is nice, but it can't really do anything that you, your die grinder, and the 2G manifold can't do. I mean, it's definitely a nice manifold, but for the money, I don't see the necessity of buying one if you can just port the 2G manifold yourself.

Another thing, if you don't mind spending a little more money on injectors, you can get the FIC 1050's for $345 or the 1150's for $385, and these have a spray pattern that kills most other injectors. With the DSMLink, they'll be easy as piss to set up, and you'll have more headroom for E85 or a bigger turbo in the future. That also reminds me, I didn't see you list an EEPROM ECU on your list, do you already have one?

I think if I ever bought another DSM, DSMLink would be the first thing I put on the car, because I would love to be able to see and log exactly how the car operates when it's completely stock, and how it changes as mods are added. Item #2 would be a wideband.

My engine's completely stock aside from the cams and throttle body. Rather than break the seal on the original factory head gasket that has already lasted about 14 years, I think my next course of action will be some beehive springs and FP5R cams, and then maybe an intake manifold and/or larger throttle body to see if I can make any more gains before switching to an FP 68HTA (or maybe trying nitrous) and then probably building the engine. I'm pretty confident this 7-bolt can withstand at least 450 whp and I don't think the small 16g will be able to do that (and mine has had a nick in one of the compressor blades for at least 5 years now).

None of that will happen any time soon though because I need a new clutch and I don't have any money right now.

No, don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it, but I don't see the need for it if one already has a 2g manifold and is willing to port it themselves.

I'll admit that I spent quite a while porting my exhaust manifold, as I went a bit down into the runners, but I really enjoyed it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back