The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

420A What is the rev limiter on the 420a?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I really think it's around 7400- or 7500 rpm's, and all it does is kill the injectors..But that's on the 4g63..I'm not really sure aboutt he 420a, but I'm sure it's still in that range..

Some sources say 7250rpm, others say 7300rpm. I'll log my car this week (SO preparations) and find out.

I found this on wiki but I dont think they are right

General Specifications
Number of Cylinders: 4
Cylinder Configuration: In-line
Number of Valves: 16 (4 per cylinder)
Fuel Delivery: Sequential Multi-Port Fuel Injection
Bore: 87.5 mm (3.44 in)
Stroke: 83.0 mm (3.27 in)
Displacement: 2.0 L (1996 cc or 122 cid)
Redline: 6500 rpm
Rev Limiter: 6750 rpm

Thats for ATX equipped vehicles; specification is 6464rpm.

Redline and rev limiter are both 7k for me. However, I took my car to the track and sometimes it would hit the limiter at about 6850 and other times I made it a little past redline without hitting it.

Some sources say 7250rpm, others say 7300rpm. I'll log my car this week (SO preparations) and find out.

Thats what I always thought it was too locke.

To Kyle97-clipse... I actually feel like my car might keep pulling all the way to redline because my speed continues to increase on my spedometer

:hmm: Well I'm not sure about that, but I'll take your word for it. Mine always needs a shift before 6500rpm, if I dont it stops pulling and I'm going nowhere. I really don't think its necessary to reach 7000 unless there are some serious mods, but as long as your car is still pulling go for it

All you guys have autos???

Max engine speed MT 7300 rpm (electronically limited)
Max engine speed AT 6464 rpm (electronically limited)

I found this on wiki but I dont think they are right

General Specifications
Number of Cylinders: 4
Cylinder Configuration: In-line
Number of Valves: 16 (4 per cylinder)
Fuel Delivery: Sequential Multi-Port Fuel Injection
Bore: 87.5 mm (3.44 in)
Stroke: 83.0 mm (3.27 in)
Displacement: 2.0 L (1996 cc or 122 cid)
Redline: 6500 rpm
Rev Limiter: 6750 rpm

Aint the for the auto transmission??? Correct me if Im wrong.

I wish I had access to some stock dyno sheets for proof, but it's a waste of time to shift above 6500. the factory ECU pulls so much timing above 6k it's ridiculous.

I wish I had access to some stock dyno sheets for proof, but it's a waste of time to shift above 6500. the factory ECU pulls so much timing above 6k it's ridiculous.

The stock cams will also stop making decent power around there. Is there any way to get the ECU to maintain a good timing map when you take it to redline, such as with my car with the Crower 2 cams?

While true the stock ECU sucks bullspit, I took the daily out on the track the other day (basically stock. Put on a 60mm TB and an intake). Ran about 25 times :p (gotta love rental days). Was curious about what basic stock could do (ended up with a best of 15.8).

To me, 1st gear shift point was just shy of 7k. 2nd to 3rd came in right around 6700-6800.

The Crower's will definitely help you a bit. But you will not see any real good changes until you fix the stock ECU (i.e. MSnS or AFX/ECU). Its my opinion that Crower 2's, UDP, 60mm TB, a little exhaust work and MSnS (or AFX ECU) can put you in the 14's. I have not done it, but from my experience, I believe that should do it.

If anyone doubts this, please feel free to let me use their 99 AFX ECU at the track and we'll see if I'm correct :sneaky:

MB

While true the stock ECU sucks bullspit, I took the daily out on the track the other day (basically stock. Put on a 60mm TB and an intake). Ran about 25 times :p (gotta love rental days). Was curious about what basic stock could do (ended up with a best of 15.8).

To me, 1st gear shift point was just shy of 7k. 2nd to 3rd came in right around 6700-6800.

The Crower's will definitely help you a bit. But you will not see any real good changes until you fix the stock ECU (i.e. MSnS or AFX/ECU). Its my opinion that Crower 2's, UDP, 60mm TB, a little exhaust work and MSnS (or AFX ECU) can put you in the 14's. I have not done it, but from my experience, I believe that should do it.

If anyone doubts this, please feel free to let me use their 99 AFX ECU at the track and we'll see if I'm correct :sneaky:

MB

Wait all you have is a 60mm throttle body and an intake and you ran a 15.8? you dont have exhaust? And did you port your manifold to match the throttle body or not?

Wait all you have is a 60mm throttle body and an intake and you ran a 15.8? you dont have exhaust? And did you port your manifold to match the throttle body or not?
Of course, I had to port the intake part of the intake mani. Otherwise, it would have still been a stock hole.

The exhaust was some kind of stock replacement that the previous owner put on. They had originally put an exhaust on the car but they kept getting pulled over by the "locals" :p So they fell back to that exhaust.

Now, I DID put my slicks on. I did that not because of the grip, but more because of the lighter weight of the wheel.

MB

Do you Have the mpx throttle body? And also did you port your intake mani to less than 60 or did you add material and port it out all the way to 60?
Yup, the MPX. I port matched on the throttle body at the entrance, but I tapered the hole near the neck so I wouldn't take that chance of grinding through and having to add material.

MB

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back