The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

420A What is the rev limiter on the 420a?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yup, the MPX. I port matched on the throttle body at the entrance, but I tapered the hole near the neck so I wouldn't take that chance of grinding through and having to add material.

MB

Don't you mean you port matched the intake manifold to the throttle body. And I'm a little confused what you mean when you say you tapered the hole near the neck? Do you mean the front of the intake manifold neck is the smaller side and then it tapers in as it goes deeper? I'm confused.

Don't you mean you port matched the intake manifold to the throttle body. And I'm a little confused what you mean when you say you tapered the hole near the neck? Do you mean the front of the intake manifold neck is the smaller side and then it tapers in as it goes deeper? I'm confused.

he means that he matched the opening to 60mm and tapered it smaller slightly to avoid cutting a hole in the narrow "neck" of the intake mani.

So his intake manifold hole is not quite the same size as his 60mm throttle body?
Right. if you tried to run a 60mm hole straight through the intake manifold you'd punch a nasty hole right in the side of it where it narrows down before the main plenum. That falls under the category of "BAD THINGS"

Mark's hole starts at 60mm, but gets a little smaller towards the inside of the manifold to prevent the afore mentioned "bad things"

depends on how small your hands are =P. If you are just porting to match you only need to remove the upper part of the IM. Just take off your CAI or SRI, TB, remove your vacuum connections then there will be 5 bolts, i think its 2 closer to the engine side, and 3 on the other side, will need a tiny ratchet. If you engine bay is clean enough like mine, it made it a lot easier to stand in the engine bay to get to the stuff (one foot where SRI was and one foot where i removed my PS/AC).

Wait so all I have to do is remove my cold air intake, throttle body, and a couple of vacuum hoses and i'll be able to get to all the bolts to remove the upper half of the intake manifold? I thought it was going to be some huge job:confused:

like i said, if you have small enough hands :p . it sounds easy but is actually a pain becuase of how little room you have to move, but with practice, and much manuvering it will come off. The first time i changed my upper IM it took me abotu 3 hours, my hands were all cut up. Second time, it only took me about an hour, and my hands felt fine, it was all about remember how to thread that damn ratchet in there.

How many bolts are holding the upper half on? And also is there anyway to take it off throught the bottom of the car because I was under the car one time and I saw the bolts to the upper half but I didn't know if they were reachable.

Yeah, from the way I read your post it looked like you may have been talking about bringing the intake through the bottom :p

Get the bolts off from the bottom.

MB

I find it easier that way. A handfull of 6" extensions goes a long way :D

Thanks bullett. I guess I'll buy the mpx throttle body when I have the money and then port my IM with a dremel and poloish it with fine grit sand paper:thumb:. But before all of that i'll be getting tokico blues ftw.

someone correct me if I'm wrong but wont the 60mm be too much air for an all motor car with only basic mods. I too will be upgrading my throttle body but I'm thinking of going 55mm

I just bought a 6inch extentionsion encase i ever remove my IM again.. sure I will eventually have had a heat sheild for where IM connects to head just never installed it.

To Kyle97-clipse, 55mm is the largest you can go without hurting your low end, 60mm will give you a better top end, but you are sacraficing low end to get it. If you plan on turboing then deffienently get at least a 60mm, if you are staying all motor, then to each his own.

To Kyle97-clipse, 55mm is the largest you can go without hurting your low end, 60mm will give you a better top end, but you are sacraficing low end to get it. If you plan on turboing then deffienently get at least a 60mm, if you are staying all motor, then to each his own.

Truthfully when you neck down the match port on the manifold it comes out to be right around 55mm and doesn't really make a difference.

My opinion don't redline sooo much. Bad things will happen especially on a 420a-T. =[

Back on topic,

Locke did you ever log your car and find out the actual electronic limit on our cars?

I drive a 98 GS Manual and from my memory i want to say that it cut fuel at 6500 or just above it... But i seem to recall the engine slamming off of it like it wanted to rev alot higher. But that could just be wishful thinking. :)

If everyone else is getting to rev to 7300 and i'm stuck at 6500 I'm going to be tremendously upset. :(

(P.s. what's stock redline? My gauges read 6500 but i'm pretty sure they are aftermarket gauges so they might've been auto gauges)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back