The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What antifreeze/ coolant are you using?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustin_8907

15+ Year Contributor
May 7, 2008
Ripley, West_Virginia
Just wondering what is good out there. I have a mishimoto aluminum radiator if that would help on my coolant quest LOL

Would this be a good idea for low temperature this winter or should I add in some amsoil antifreeze 50/50 with distilled water and redline water wetter?

This will possibly crack your block if you run it in the winter. If you are in below freezing temp's than you need atleast 50 percent antifreeze in my opinion. I have been running nothing but off the shelf coolant in every car that i have ever owned or worked on in the past 15 years.

About 1/3 a bottle of water wetter and distilled water in the summer, and 50/50 antifreeze/distilled water in the winter.

I use the water mix for the summer and the $7/gal coolant 50/50 mix from walmart in the winter. Just don't use Dex-Cool :barf:

50/50 water and anti-freeze. If want use wetter than water is atracted to heat so it will increase coolent ablity to pull heat out of engine and turbo.

I use a 50/50 mix of just Advance Auto coolant, and a bottle of Water Wetter. Also, I've used Royal Purple's "Purple Ice" (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called) before, and it worked well. All this in a stock radiator with one fan.

ethylene glycol is ethylene glycol so just buy the store brand cheap stuff. Only run water and water wetter in the summer, it will not prevent freezing in the winter. Well depending on where you live. Mixes of 60/40 and 50/50 will work.

I used to believe all the hype about distilled water, but now I'm really on the fence about it.

Some experts now say that distilled water does more harm than good because it can strip all the electrolytes from the metals. I've seen aluminum radiators that have become porous and it's not pretty.

I figure the risk of having calcium deposits in my engine are a lesser evil than having holes in it. Besides, how much mineral material could there be in a gallon or so of water? It's not like my hot water heater which may see a couple hundered gallons pass through a day.

I like to run tap water, and a little less than half store brand green antifreeze in summer, along with a bottle of water wetter. In the winter, when the car sits in the garage, I run at least 50% antifreeze.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually just buy full strength green and mix with tap water. Its important to keep a 50/50 balance though. But don't buy 50/50. Buy full strength for 2$ more and make two gallons for 13$ instead of one 50/50 for 11$.

If you keep a good 50/50 balance I've never seen rust or any build up in the system. Only when theres been more water than you antifreeze have i seen that happen.

I used tap for a little while (about 1 year) and I had a lot of surface rust built up in my cylinder head, and a good deal of rust and calcium built up on my water pump-to-block area. Ever since then, I've only used distilled. I may, however, have a lot more iron and other minerals in my water source that others.

Though, I should say, that I don't know what the previous owner of that engine used prior to me installing it.

I used tap for a little while (about 1 year) and I had a lot of surface rust built up in my cylinder head, and a good deal of rust and calcium built up on my water pump-to-block area. Ever since then, I've only used distilled. I may, however, have a lot more iron and other minerals in my water source that others.

Straight water will do that.

I keep it simple, ~50/50 Prestone & tap water & usually dump in a container of Redline Water Weter. This is my year round mixture. Could improve summer cooling with less antifreeze but I'm lazy & don't like to change it each winter for storage.

50/50 here and like others have said as far as brand? depends how deep my pockets are that day LOL.

The green kind. Don't play brand-favorite...it's all the same shit.

We once had a bottling plant in New Kensington which produced coolant for all major brands at the time....Zerex, Prestone, etc. To no surprise it was the same product in every bottle with a different label and consequently a different price tag as well. ;)

Justin are you sure each brand wasn't using their own ideas like certain additives, how much of this or that etc because the bases could be the same it's just the additive package that makes them different.

Really just a technical question since you've first hand experience because I'm with you, I really don't care much on brands. I just buy a gallon of concentrate "x" and mix with water to get my 2 gallons. In the summer time I do more percent water with a bottle of water wetter though

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back