The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Just got a 90 Laser RS turbo breaking up at 5k

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazer owner at 15

Probationary Member
Jun 7, 2023
Waterloo, New_York
i just got a 1990 Laser RS turbo it has had problems around 5k rpm with the engine cutting power for a split second. i was hoping to get help with this and i was wondering what the most appropriate forum section would be

I just installed a AEM boost gauge and in the problem rpms (5-6k) (i stop pushing it when it cuts out) its reading 17psi so it is an over boosting problem.

I do not believe the wastegate or the recirculation valve are stuck because it holds a good 13-14 psi throughout the rpm range until 5-6k rpm.
No matter what I'm getting a AFR gauge and DSMLink this winter for future tuning but I'm also wondering if I could just add fuel in at the problem areas to combat the lack of fuel (compared to air in the problem rpm). I need to do some reading on fuel pumps and injectors to see how much I can push them and if they can supply enough fuel for the 17ish psi I'm seeing.

PS I know none of that would fix my problem of over boosting it would just fix the leaning out at 5k+rpm under max load.

You just need to go through the maintenance, plugs&wires, check the belts, fix the boost leaks, get a manual boost controller for now and as soon as you can get DSMlink. It comes with a base map to get it going. You might be chasing some small issues but keeping the boost low and learning how to drive and how the car reacts is all you need right now. Do real maintenance to make sure it’s safe too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back