The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Street Build ITFLYS - 1Gina2G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Work list updates
IMG_7111.jpeg

IMG_7112.jpeg

Hose clamps arrived
IMG_7117.jpeg
installed
IMG_7118.jpeg

Its the little things… space is tight, tool access is limited, the position of these 4 for these FIAV hoses was fun.
IMG_7159.jpeg

Last edited:
I got enough put together to run a boost leak test, and wow, glad I did that. Air is pushing around the tip of Cyl4 fuel injector. If I push the injector tip into the seal with the addition of finger pressure, then it stops. I need to check the spacers and see if I can get a little tighter tolerance on the injector body.
IMG_7158.jpeg

Last edited:
I got enough put together to run a boost leak test, and wow, glad I did that. Air is pushing around the tip of Cyl4 fuel injector. If I push the injector tip into the seal with addition finger pressure, then it stops. I need to check the spacers and see if I can get a little tighter tolerance on the injector body.
I take the three spacers between the head and rail and cut them in half on the bandsaw - but only in the interest of them losing a blade-width of material. This makes the rail sit about a millimeter closer to the head assembled, so the injectors press into the seals more. This mod is batting 1000 for me and I do not see a downside.

I take the three spacers between the head and rail and cut them in half on the bandsaw - but only in the interest of them losing a blade-width of material. This makes the rail sit about a millimeter closer to the head assembled, so the injectors press into the seals more. This mod is batting 1000 for me and I do not see a downside.
I am a little surprised really. I did not have a spacer issue with the other head. I will do this if my next attempt after cleaning the spacers does not work. I’m also adding an additional o-ring round the tip, that might seal in the port tighter.

Reporting to you now from a remote corner of Canada, where the power is out, but the TV, SAT, Internet and phone are still on - thanks to the amazing power of "burning gas" in the generator. Lord, the sooner I can get this place on a all house battery, the better!
Nice. Heading up north in a few weeks to do some fishing. Should be a good time.

The Late 2G clips are another option. Too bad the pins in these are slightly different than my stock pins. I was just going to swap plug housings, but it turns out I have to splice wires.
IMG_7163.jpeg

Adding an o-ring spacer did the trick on the injector boost leaks.

Work list - DONE!!!
It Fired - slow at first, then increasing RPM until I got a garage full of smoke and steam.
Screen Shot 2024-05-31 at 9.35.01 AM.png

Coolant temps look wrong - I wonder if it is the new sensor, or the new plug.

Attachments

• log.2024.05.31-03.elg
    48.2 KB · Views: 13
Coolant temp sensor woke up and started reading normal

Something is not good. - Way more steam than normal, rough idle, and I'm consuming coolant.:mad:
4 3 2 1
IMG_7168.jpeg

Cyl 4 is wet
Cyl 2 was steaming when I pulled the plug

The only thing I can think to do is re-torque the head studs. 🤒

Last edited:
I’m positive there is a coolant leak into Cyl 2. Now cold, I squeezed the upper coolant hose and noticed a sound from one of the open spark plug holes. Narrowing it down, it is coming from the same one where I noticed steam after taking the plugs out hot. Cyl 2.

I retorqued the head on and crossed my fingers, but no change. still sounds of suck from Cyl 2
Groan - so now as to possibilities -
Head Gasket seal failure
or
Crack in the head

Neither of these are easy, and to throw a little more shade on the issue - Loosing coolant is why I pulled the motor this head was on in the first place.

Ok then, this time front in, on stands.
IMG_7170.jpeg

Not a terrible amount of room to work
IMG_7172.jpeg

I’m just saying… There better be some interesting story to explain the failure. Here we go taking the head off again. Coolant drained, cover loose:
IMG_7171.jpeg

Wow, that is a big time coolant leak. I'm surprised it wasn't hydro locking while cranking. Crazy. I guess the head will need pressure testing but sure as shit with a leak that big it will be easy to find.
Its a puzzler, not seeing the source of the leak yet. I just don’t understand how I can have steam and gurgling sounds coming from cylinder number two but there is evidence pointing at cylinder four as the problem

Ok, this is interesting:
IMG_7182.jpeg

This is intake runner Cyl4

When I disassembled, in one motion, I lifted the head, and tilted it onto the exhaust studs.

This coolant was sitting on top of the intake valve, and it stayed there when I tipped it up, and removed the intake manifold.

If this is where the coolant is getting in, then maybe the steam and sounds squeezing the upper coolant hose was echoing through the intake and into #2 due to a random placement of the valves when the engine came to rest.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back