The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Walbro 450 Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phunny

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 1, 2005
Pittsboro, Indiana
So I got my pump and after looking at it for awhile I came to the conclusion that it's pretty much a direct bolt on with very minimal work. This is going from a Walbro 255 to a 450 but nothing should really be different from any other pump.

Tools needed:

Razor knife
Drill bit set
Wire strippers

1. After removing the old pump take the rubber bottom and cut it right in half. You will see where the rubber was molded together so just follow the line.

2. Take the bottom bracket that holds the pump on and drill a half a drill down were the original hole is. Basically all your doing is moving the screw down 1/8 of an inch.

3. Take the plastic nozzle that was used by the old pump (mine looks orange) and put it back where it was so the new pump will lock into it when installed.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

4. Take the oring that was used by the original pump and put in on the new 450(about mid way on the nozzle). Lube it up, take a small flat screw driver and work the pump nozzle all the way down until the pump seats nices. I did NOT use 3 orings, I was just experimenting

5. Cut the plugs off and connect the power wires to the pump wires.

6. Install the rubber and the bottom bracket on the pump and you're finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance you could talk about the wiring in a little more detail?

I guess I am just a little confused as to why the 450 is supposedly sealed wiring for E85 purposes, yet we have to cut and splice to get the right connector? How well is solder going to hold up to E85? Did you just solder and heat shrink or anything special? Great write up BTW. I knew exactly what you were talking about now that I pulled my 255 setup today.

It needs to be insulated because of the corrosive properties of ethanol, especially in such high concentrations.

Nice write up, TY, I will be using this soon, I have exceded the limits of the 255/044 combo, so I am replaceing the 255!

So I was able to install mine without drilling the hole moving the screw down. And I also used the "orange" plastic ring and set that in the housing and then the O-ring on top of it, instead of working the O-ring down while on the pump with a screw driver.

Just other options, but TY for this write up, it made it sooooo much easier! OH, and I got my pump from Extreme with the install kit, which I used the sock that came with it (the sock can sit "under" the pump now, instead of off to the side), and the 2 butt connectors.

PS, fuel pressure for me rose about 10psi....l

Last edited:
Nice write up, TY, I will be using this soon, I have exceded the limits of the 255/044 combo, so I am replaceing the 255!

So I was able to install mine without drilling the hole moving the screw down. And I also used the "orange" plastic ring and set that in the housing and then the O-ring on top of it, instead of working the O-ring down while on the pump with a screw driver.

Just other options, but TY for this write up, it made it sooooo much easier! OH, and I got my pump from Extreme with the install kit, which I used the sock that came with it (the sock can sit "under" the pump now, instead of off to the side), and the 2 butt connectors.

PS, fuel pressure for me rose about 10psi....l

So how you like it so far? I will need to do something about my fuel set up when I get the engine back into the car.

Thanks for the write up. Got my 450 in the mail yesterday. Installing this weekend. That ebay knockoff im using was failing. Started dropping pressure i believe. Kept having to increase mafcomps to get target afrs. This thing should give me the pressure and volume to go 60lbs/min

So how you like it so far? I will need to do something about my fuel set up when I get the engine back into the car.

I love it! Has been holding great! I'm seeing 75+ pressure (2G set at factory base) and no issues!

I love it! Has been holding great! I'm seeing 75+ pressure (2G set at factory base) and no issues!

THATS what i wanted to hear. Awesome. This thing will get me to 600+whp when i go e85 and get a bigger turbo/mani

Did you have to cut some of this off in order for it to fit?

I didn't either however I did use 2 o orings. Also you will have to modify the bottom bracket as the pump is physically taller than a stocker or even a Walbro 255 if that is what your upgrading from like me.

Pic of what I'm talking about.

I didn't either however I did use 2 o orings. Also you will have to modify the bottom bracket as the pump is physically taller than a stocker or even a Walbro 255 if that is what your upgrading from like me.

Pic of what I'm talking about.

I found it a lot easier to do what the OP said in step 1..... cutting the black spacer in half.

Yeah I cut the black rubber piece in half as well as elongated the hole in the bracket, I just didn't mention that part. Nothing needs to come off the top however to the original question.

Installed my 450 today. Nice and quiet now and is keeping up just fine at 25psi. I too had to hack off the top nipple to make it fit but its really no big deal. Everything was really simple, didnt even look at instructions. Fuel pressure at idle was only 2psi higher so i backed that off a bit. Really like how quiet this pump is, its worth the money for that alone.

I gotta give this pump some more love! Hit 62lbs/min last night on pump gas @ 30psi. This pump didnt blink. Over 90% IDCs on my 1000s. Side note: 62lbs is crazy fast!! FP must have been over 70psi, i had to mafcomp up near 8% in the higher hz so i think its my ebay fpr or my lines are becoming a factor. Who cares right now tho, this pump is fn awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple questions on this pump. Will the stock return work fine? And Can you use the non e85 pump with e85 since you have to cut the wires and use butt connectors any way? and and last but not least where is the cheapest place to get this pump? I have the walbro 255hp with 1650 injectors right now on stock regulator and return and its working fine. Ill be getting my car dyno tuned in a couple weeks and want to make sure I dont run out of fuel maxing out an fp red.

Couple questions on this pump. Will the stock return work fine? And Can you use the non e85 pump with e85 since you have to cut the wires and use butt connectors any way? and and last but not least where is the cheapest place to get this pump? I have the walbro 255hp with 1650 injectors right now on stock regulator and return and its working fine. Ill be getting my car dyno tuned in a couple weeks and want to make sure I dont run out of fuel maxing out an fp red.

Can someone answer this please?

And does the e85 pump have any issues running c16?

I'm running mine on a 1G with stock auto FPR (same pressure as a 2G) and stock feed/return lines and it's fine. Also, if you cut off the wires, you've defeated half the point of using this pump. The install kit comes with the proper connector and a sock that's much larger than a standard 255 sock, which I'd imagine is useful with nearly double the pump flow capacity.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back