1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Strange issue with 6 bolt swap.

Posted by DSMNewGuy, May 23, 2020

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. DSMNewGuy

DSMNewGuy Probationary Member

Joined Jul 25, 2018
    Lisbon, Europe
    Hi all, NewGuy here. I’ve searched the forums but couldn’t find a good answer to my issue. I’ll give you some details first:
    - My car is a 97 eclipse GS 4g63 N/A that had a broken 7 bolt (RIP) to which I already installed a 6 bolt.
    - The 6 Bolt came from a Plymouth Laser RS also 4G63 N/A.

My issue was in trying to get the car running. The starter wasn’t working so I tried to manually make it work by using a screwdriver to activate it. It did work so there must be another problem (elétricas) but this is not my issue.
    When the starter activated, it didn’t engage with the flywheel. From the threads that I read about 6 bolt swaps I am supposed to use the 1G engine with the 2G gearbox, which I did. I am confused as to why the flywheel seems to be shorter than it should. I have no idea what to do from here since that’s the only 6 bolt I have. I didn’t take the gearbox off yet and I don’t have photos of the flywheel so I’m lacking some specs. If anyone can help with the info I gave would be nice. I will probably be taking off the gearbox later next week so by then I should have more info. Thanks in advance.

189  11

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Langhorne, Pennsylvania
    I believe the fly wheels for the FWD and the AWD are different sizes. And do you have a GST or GSX, you said you have a 97 GS? Is it a spyder? I am unfamiliar with the spyder trim levels.

A 97 GS can't support a 4g63 without a good bit of fabrication in the engine bay. (Unless we are talking later model Evo engines)

Street Build 221  2

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 344  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I believe the starter itself and starter plate are both different

353  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

376  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 3K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
  4. DSMNewGuy

Joined Jul 25, 2018
    Lisbon, Europe
    Since I took the 6 bolt from a FWD car I’d guess the flywheel is FWD but I do remember it to be a bit smaller than the 7 bolt flywheel.
    My car is an European spec GS. They came stock with the 4g63 N/A instead of the 420A.
    The 6 bolt was a bolt on with no issues except this one.
    Was trying to find the answer before taking the gearbox off again but I guess it’ll have to be done to measure the flywheel and check everything correctly. Thank you for your input brother.

189  11

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    609DSM likes this.
  5. DSMNewGuy

Joined Jul 25, 2018
    Lisbon, Europe
    From what I read the starter should be the same and the plate is different from the 1G but I also read that I am supposed to use the plate that fits my tranny. Correct me if I’m wrong though. Thank you

189  11

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Langhorne, Pennsylvania
    Ah crap thats right the euro came with the 4g63 platform! Sorry! And I can't offer much help other than researching the size of your flywheel are correct for the application.

Street Build 221  2

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 344  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. DSMNewGuy

Joined Jul 25, 2018
    Lisbon, Europe
    Yeah I will definitely have to take the tranny out I guess. If I’m correct the AWD flywheel should be 106 teeth and the FWD should be 110 right?
    Also do I have to buy a new clutch if I happen to have the AWD flywheel or can I use the same on both flywheels?

189  11

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    609DSM likes this.
  8. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Langhorne, Pennsylvania
    don't know the actual number of teeth unfortunately but I know there is a difference!

Street Build 221  2

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 344  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Langhorne, Pennsylvania
    I'm not sure, I think you might need a new assembly all together but I could easily be wrong.

Street Build 221  2

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 344  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. DSMNewGuy

Joined Jul 25, 2018
    Lisbon, Europe
    Thank you for your help man. I will wait for more input on this from other members and will keep looking for info myself.

189  11

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    609DSM likes this.
  11. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Langhorne, Pennsylvania
    Hey no problem, that's what this site is for! Hopefully someone with a more extensive knowledge can chime in and we both can learn a little something haha.

Street Build 221  2

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 344  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  12. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Use the plate from your original engine. Count the teeth on your original flywheel. Is your original flywheel stepped or flat?

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  13. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    For European DSMs, a GS had a non-turbo 4g63, still FWD. It really sounds like you have an AWD flywheel and it's just too short for the starter to spin it.

All spyders have a 4g6x engine. The GS has a 4g64, and GST has 4g63. No 2G spyder ever got sold with the 420A engine.

1K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
    609DSM likes this.
  14. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    There are two different versions of starters, a long nose and a short nose, it sounds like you need the long nose one, the parts stores books are wrong also, the manufacturers only list one starter and it ends up causing problems half of the time, either the engine wont rev after a starter replacement because the starter wont disengage, or the starter wont touch the flywheel, go to the parts store and have them pull out different 4g63 and 4g64 versions of starter and lay them on the counter and buy the longest nose one that they have, have them pull out auto and stick, awd and fwd, first gen and second gen etc.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  15. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Yes the smaller AWD flywheel has 106 teeth and the larger FWD has 110 teeth. They use different starter plates too to line up the starter with the flywheel. You can count the teeth by removing the tranny access plate on the bottom or through the starter hole.

3K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM