1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

420A Starter Issues

Posted by DemiRoo, Jan 20, 2020

Tags:
Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. DemiRoo

DemiRoo Probationary Member

Joined Jan 20, 2020
    Orange, Texas
    Okay, so hopefully someone can help me out here. 420A with 179K miles. Bought the car knowing the starter was bad. Bought new starter, and a new battery. After replacing the starter and the battery it started right up, ran good. Turn it on and off about 4-5 times through out the day, drove it about 40 miles around town, came home and put it up for the night. Woke up this morning and now it wont start at all, relay clicks but starter does not engage at all. Tried jumping it off a larger car, still nothing. Battery is at 12 volts and I mean its brand new, and the starter is too. Kinda dumbfounded since it was fine yesterday and now its just back to being dead. I'm not super mechanically inclined so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: I have checked the battery connection, terminals are clean and tight, no corrosion that I can see, i have already check the starter relay - came back good.

2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Stick or auto? if stick it could be the clutch switch, if auto it could be the lock out switch on the transmission, otherwise it could be the starter, try tapping on it while someone has the key in the start position, parts store starters and alternators can be junk like that.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    609DSM likes this.
  3. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Solid info motomattx +1. Also try not stay away from remanufactured parts because they are known to be repeat offenders when it comes to faulting. Moto pretty much said it all.

Street Build 236  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. Bleakley

Bleakley Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2017
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    If the relay is clicking.
    On my ‘95 TSI I ran RIGHT to the connector in the engine bay for the 12V supply to the starter solenoid (the 12V that’s coming from the starter relay). And pulled a multimeter out to test for 12V.
    Doing it like this isn’t 100% fool proof, but ~95% of the time it’s good enough.

See if you’re getting 12V to the solenoid. It’s fast and easy to do. That usually determines my next course of action.

Street Build 895  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
  5. tk106

tk106 Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Think someone just posted something similar and it turned out to be a fried ecu. Pretty sure it was a turbo 2g but something you might want to look into if all else checks out.

254  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

247  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 2K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
  6. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    The only way to check the 420a ecu is to check from the connector pins, as the ecu is full of a protective slime...

584  5

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Road Race Build 3K  23

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

431  4

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
  7. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    - Rebuilt starters are WELL KNOWN to be junk from ALL major auto stores. Go to a starter/alternator repair shop to get a decent re-built starter.
    - Also check your battery voltage WHILE CRANKING. When not cranking, battery voltage means nothing. Battery voltage AND AT THE STARTER ITSELF must be > 9.6v WHILE CRANKING to have a battery with enough capacity and charge. And if much lower voltage at the starter than at the battery (> 1v difference), you have a poor connection somewhere or bad cable or possibly bad starter.
    - You need to remove battery cables from BOTH ends and clean inside the terminals and the battery posts with sandpaper. Then reattach tight. Poor connections drops significant voltage right there while cranking so starter won't work which is the #1 cause of starter problems (yet lights and everything else works ok because they draw 5-10 times less current).
    - There's also the possibility of a bad cable with internal corrosion or crack. While cable is off, check continuity with multimeter while bending cable all directions. You can also put voltmeter across the ends of a suspect cable while cranking to see if there's a voltage drop across it end to end (should be < 1v drop).
    - You also may have a partial short somewhere which drains your battery overnight. https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/f...l-short-or-battery-drain.179481/#post-1496998

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020

2K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM