The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

South Bend Clutch Users Questionairre- looking for updates on everyone's setups!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twicks69

Supporting Vendor
Mar 12, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Since 2008 I have been working with South Bend Clutch to develop their clutch lineup for our platform to have a better range of choice and a better overall product. During that time I have sold many hundreds of these clutches I was hoping to get an update from those who have them. I am always trying to make the SBC clutch options better for our cars to keep them as streetable as possible while having a torque capacity range from 300-650ft/lb of torque depending on model. What I am looking for in this thread is end user experience and feedback with their clutch used and overall experience. More specifically, information on the following:

*Specific model used
---Pressure plate type:
-->Stock PP (Old Rally Series stuff)
-->HD-Series
-->SS-Series
-->Custom SS-X Series
---Disk type:
-->Organic
-->TZ-Series full Kevlar
-->OFE-Series Organic / Feramic dual friction
-->TZ/FE-Series Kevlar / Feramic dual friction
-->TZ/B-Series Kevlar / Ceramic dual friction
-->B-Series full Ceramic
-->DXD-B Series Ceramic 6-puck
-->DXD-F Series Feramic 6-puck

*Specific model flywheel used
-->Stock
-->ACT Streetlite Chromoly
-->Competition Clutch Street Chromoly
-->Fidanza Aluminum
-->Other (specify)

*Duration of usage AND mileage on clutch

*Power levels and Drag ET's/MPH if available

*Usage Type
-->Daily Driver
-->Street/Strip
-->Weekend Warrior Abuse
-->Drag Car
-->Auto-X Car
-->Road Race / Circuit Race Car
-->Rally Car
-->Stock Car

*Short personal evaluation of the clutch you chose
-->Would you buy the same one again?
-->Would you choose a different pressure plate next time (higher or lower clamp force)?
-->Would you choose a different clutch disk friction material next time?
-->If your clutch wore out, how long did you have it for and mileage before it wore out the actual friction linings as a direct relation to usage, not due to other circumstances like hydraulics, pedal assembly or adjustment issues.

I appreciate everyone's feedback to my survey in advance!

I dont have any experience yet but I plan on contacting you soon for a clutch due to my ACT full face and 2600pp slipping at 28psi in 4th gear. I have had a few friends beat the hell out of a south bend clutch and have it hold up great!

*Specific model used
---Pressure plate type:

-->Custom SS-X Series

---Disk type:

-->B-Series full Ceramic

-
So far i have about 8000 miles on the clutch

My last dyno was 665whp and 573wtq

*Usage Type
-->Daily Driver
-->Street/Strip
-->Weekend Warrior Abuse
All of the above

-->Would you buy the same one again? YES

-->Would you choose a different pressure plate next time (higher or lower clamp force)? NO PERFECT.

-->Would you choose a different clutch disk friction material next time? NO

-

My personal evaluation is, this is the best clutch I have had in the car! The thing that amazes me is the stock pedal feel of the clutch and its ability to hold the torque that my set up is dishing out. I must say I am very impressed great job tim:thumb:

Perfect! For other users, follow this example of filling out the information as it works great as a visual reference to quickly analyze the data.

*Specific model used

Pressure plate type: SS
Disk type: TZ-FE
Specific model flywheel used: ACT Streetlite Chromoly
Duration of usage AND mileage on clutch: ~20K miles
Power levels and Drag ET's/MPH if available: Daily power levels ~500-550 (haven't dyno'd or dragged in a long time, typically 56-60lb/min)
Usage Type: Daily summer driver, not much drag use anymore but starting lapping more

Short personal evaluation of the clutch you chose

Would you buy the same one again: YES
Would you choose a different pressure plate next time (higher or lower clamp force): Probably stay the same
Would you choose a different clutch disk friction material next time: Probably try TZ/B
I've been very happy with this clutch, doesn't seem to have any problems holding the power & driveability is great. Only issue I've had is sometimes when doing a 3rd gear tuning pull, when starting from low rpms (say ~2000) I typically can smell clutch but it has never slipped & never typically happens on WOT pulls, running through the gears (I haven't done low rpm 3rd pulls in a long time so not sure if it still does this).

Pressure plate type: SS-Series
Disk type: TZ-Series full Kevlar
Specific model flywheel used Stock
Duration of usage AND mileage on clutch 2 years & 10000 miles (best guess, car has been off the road a lot)
Power levels and Drag ET's/MPH if available DSMlink est: 310 HP @ 16-17 PSI
Usage Type Daily Driver
Would you buy the same one again? Yes
Would you choose a different pressure plate next time (higher or lower clamp force)? No, this is perfect for a DD
Would you choose a different clutch disk friction material next time? Nope
If your clutch wore out.. N/A

So far I love this clutch. Great pedal feel and it holds. I had the PP serviced which SBC did free of charge. Thanks Tim!

Last edited:
I'll let ya know as soon as I get mine in Tim, maybe a month away but I have it all. ACT 11.5lb flywheel, Southbend SS PP, TZ/B Disk going in a 300-375hp car (maybe a bit more if I'm lucky) Completely all new from Flywheel to trans including all bolts and new fork and ball. Results will be posted soon, but I am very confident in this setup, and like I said I will give feedback asap. :thumb:

Attachments

• flywheel clutch pp new 5-2014.jpg
    flywheel clutch pp new 5-2014.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 343
*Specific model used
---Pressure plate type: and ---Disk type:
-->I really don't remember this information. My receipt says "CH 735 TZ Clutch Kit". If that doesn't help, I don't think I've changed my profile info regarding the clutch since then so I guess it is/was a DXD TZ kit. Whatever that came with. :p

-->Stock
-
10 years, 89,000+ miles

I believe I ran that quick 15 with this clutch years back; I know for a fact I never made it to the dyno

*Usage Type
-->Daily Driver

-->Would you buy the same one again? Yes
-->Would you choose a different pressure plate next time (higher or lower clamp force)? No
-->Would you choose a different clutch disk friction material next time? No
-->If your clutch wore out, how long did you have it for and mileage before it wore out the actual friction linings as a direct relation to usage, not due to other circumstances like hydraulics, pedal assembly or adjustment issues. I think it is getting to a point where it is finally beginning to slip a little on take-off and if I accelerate too quickly. But hey, it has lasted me a long time so I enjoyed it. When the time comes, I'll decide whether to go back with this one or back to stock as I don't need much anyway and stock is probably lower cost.

Glad to help! LOL

I dont want to clutter up the thread but i will pick one of these up (ssx tz -b pr which ever will hold the MOST TORQUE) if i can't scrape up the cheddar for the comp tripple disk, but ive heard nothing but good things about south bend, suposibly the best single disk on the market for high torque.

Keep up the good work and development for our platform tim! Thanks for continuing to be a vendor for us! :thumb:

I dont want to clutter up the thread but i will pick one of these up (ssx tz -b pr which ever will hold the MOST TORQUE) if i can't scrape up the cheddar for the comp tripple disk, but ive heard nothing but good things about south bend, suposibly the best single disk on the market for high torque.

Keep up the good work and development for our platform tim! Thanks for continuing to be a vendor for us! :thumb:

The SS-X pressure plate with B-Series full face sprung hub Ceramic disk would be my recommendation for highest torque capacity and most streetability while handling abuse and all driving styles.

The SS-X pressure plate with B-Series full face sprung hub Ceramic disk would be my recommendation for highest torque capacity and most streetability while handling abuse and all driving styles.

Tim these are exact same words you said to me! Let me tell you I love my clutch you know your stuff and I personally like to say thanks again for such a great clutch!!!:cool:

*Specific model used
---Pressure plate type:
-->HD-Series
---Disk type:
-->TZ-Series full Kevlar
-->Fidanza Aluminum
-->550 miles over 5 weeks
--350hp, not time slips yet
*Usage Type
-->Weekend Warrior Abuse
-->Road Race / Circuit Race Car

-->Would you buy the same one again? yes
-->Would you choose a different pressure plate next time (higher or lower clamp force)?same PP, feels the same as my srt4 sachs PP that held 550, feels useable at all times
-->Would you choose a different clutch disk friction material next time? n/a

*Specific model used

---Pressure plate type:
-->SS-Series

---Disk type:
-->TZ-Series full Kevlar

1 year at 8k-10k miles

404/329 on 93 pump gas and 430/379 on 110 Octane

*Usage Type
-->Daily Driver
-->Weekend Warrior Abuse

-->Would you buy the same one again? Possibly
-->Would you choose a different pressure plate next time (higher or lower clamp force)? Yes, slightly higher
-->Would you choose a different clutch disk friction material next time? No

Specific model used
Pressure plate type: SS-Series
Disk type: TZ/B-Series Kevlar / Ceramic dual friction
Specific model flywheel used: Stock
Duration of usage AND mileage on clutch: Its been in the car for over 2 years, about 30k miles
Power levels and Drag ET's/MPH if available: 492hp, 417 ft/lbs tq. 13.6 @ 110mph (Don't laugh, that time is when the car was at 360hp, LOL)
Usage Type: Daily driver, street/strip, weekend warrior, drag car, auto-x car and road course. I do it all!

Would you buy the same one again? Absolutely. Its a comfortable clutch for the daily drives to work, the horrible Los Angeles traffic, and the long treks to the Shootout. It holds the power I throw at it, and its very forgiving with my attempts to launch it at the 1/4 mile, haha. I've never been scared that it would fail because of newbie racing abuse. I've done almost everything you can do to test a clutch and it continues to impress me.

Would you choose a different pressure plate next time (higher or lower clamp force)? I would step it up to the 2700# pressure plate next time. The one I have now is so soft and comfortable, its easy to let it out too fast at a launch.

Would you choose a different clutch disk friction material next time? No. I have no complaints with the current one.

If your clutch wore out, how long did you have it for and mileage before it wore out the actual friction linings as a direct relation to usage, not due to other circumstances like hydraulics, pedal assembly or adjustment issues: Haven't gotten to that point yet :)

• Specific model used
    • Pressure plate type:
      • HD-Series
    • Disk type:
      • TZ-Series full Kevlar

• Specific model flywheel used
    • ACT Streetlite Chromoly

• Duration of usage AND mileage on clutch
    Roughly 14,000 miles over four years.

• Power levels and Drag ET's/MPH if available
    Slightly over stock power level, no ETs/MPH.

• Usage Type
    • Daily Driver

• Short personal evaluation of the clutch you chose
    • Would you buy the same one again?
      • In a heartbeat.
    • Would you choose a different pressure plate next time (higher or lower clamp force)?
      • Not for this power level.
    • Would you choose a different clutch disk friction material next time?
      • See the above.

This is what I bought after doing a fair amount of research before taking on my first-ever clutch job (and what a journey it was!). I was very pleasantly surprised when everything went back together, have remained content with this clutch ever since, and look forward to many more trouble-free years of service. :rocks:

mine's still in the break in period.

at this point would just like to say that pedal feel is like stock.

***I have a bit of a bastard setup...

*Specific model used
-->Pressure plate type:
-->ACT 2600

---Disk type:
-->TZ-Series full Kevlar

going on at least 10k miles, almost 2 years.

300HP? no times or dyno. 20g, Meth, 93 oct. 26psi enough to make stock slip.

*Usage Type
-->Daily Driver

Hells yes. But with the PP designed for it (not ACT)

-->Would you choose a different pressure plate next time (higher or lower clamp force)?

Yes, I would go for whichever SS pressure plate Tim recommends.

Nope. Kevlar is perfect. No chatter, never slips, EXTREMELY street-able.

*Specific model used

---Pressure plate type:

-->SS-Series

---Disk type:

-->TZ-Series full Kevlar

2+ years and around 30k miles

~450hp - 11.64 @ 123 / FP Red @ 28 psi on 93/meth

*Usage Type

-->Daily Driver
-->Street/Strip
-->Weekend Warrior Abuse

Yes

No - I like the feel it has now and don't want anything that feels remotely like an ACT 2600

Yes - I'm exceeding it's holding power for a full weight 2g.

-->If your clutch wore out, how long did you have it for and mileage before it wore out the actual friction linings as a direct relation to usage, not due to other circumstances like hydraulics, pedal assembly or adjustment issues.

I had the clutch out when I got my built tranny, with over 20k miles on it was still looking almost like new, even with hot lapping the car at the track and slipping it a few times. I'm sure it's still got a lot left in it. No signs or any spring issues or spline wear or other issues I've seen with other brands.

This clutch has been the best I've ever had in the car and I may be slipping it now but I give ZERO blame to the clutch itself as I know I'm exceeding its rating. I will be swapping my disk out soon and will stay with SB.

*Specific model used
---Pressure plate type:

-->SS-Series

---Disk type:

-->TZ/B-Series Kevlar / Ceramic dual friction

1year and about 10k miles
None at this time but some ETs hopefully Sunday :D
*Usage Type

-->Street/Strip
-->Weekend Warrior Abuse
-->Drag Car

-->Would you buy the same one again? Yes I would.
-->Would you choose a different pressure plate next time (higher or lower clamp force)? Thinking back, I think the SS-X would suit more power goals in my future.
-->Would you choose a different clutch disk friction material next time? No, from my research the TZ-B works best for me.-->If your clutch wore out, how long did you have it for and mileage before it wore out the actual friction linings as a direct relation to usage, not due to other circumstances like hydraulics, pedal assembly or adjustment issues. N/A

I did have a too thick of a clutch disk problem that Jon at SBC took care of for me. The clutch was disengaging too low and causing a dragging issue. They adjusted the thickness and modified the fulcrum point on the pressure plate and it feels great now. I know Tim and Jon were working on fixing this issue in the future rather than the customer having to remove the Trans and send it back which was a pain. SBC and Tim's customer service has been great through out everything and to me that was satisfying even after having to remove Trans again. Going to test out clutch hopefully this sunday so we shall see how it holds up. Although, I don't doubt I'll have any issues :thumb:

How long are you guys breaking them in for?

With all the TZ-Series lined disks (dual friction or full TZ), I media blast the pressure plates for faster break-in, and recommend the flywheel friction surface to be media blasted as well with an Aluminum Oxide 80/120-grit blast media, and a maximum coarseness of 40-grit, and a minimum of 220-grit. I tape off the entire flywheel and only blast the physical friction surface. If you are reusing a flywheel or have a freshly machined flywheel this is something I do AFTER resurfacing or cleaning. With a new flywheel I degrease, then tape off and then blast and clean afterwards with brake-cleaner and a lint-free rag/towel and air in all the threaded holes. This works very well for breaking in the Kevlar material as it increases the surface porosity of the friction surface so the Kevlar material has pore space to bed into, resulting in better recovery from slipping the clutch on a launch.

Regarding break-in mileage, regular shifting and street usage will result in less mileage needed to break a clutch in. All highway mileage with no shifting will do nothing quickly for material break-in. I also don't recommend jumping on a dyno or going to a track day on a fresh clutch without break-in as it is an easy way to glaze a friction surface or burn out a friction lining.

I normally recommend the following:

TZ-Series full face Kevlar disks - 250-1000 miles
OFE-Series full face Organic / Feramic disks - 250-500 miles
TZ/FE-Series full face Kevlar / Feramic disks - 250-500 miles
TZ/B-Series full face Kevlar / Ceramic disks - 250-500 miles
B-Series full face Ceramic disks - 250-500 miles

Regarding flywheels, the surface finish and material composition will determine the break-in of that side with the Chromoly Steel flywheels generally taking a bit longer to break-in if not media blasted on a Kevlar material. The biggest thing to watch out is NOT using the Feramic material on the flywheel side if you are going to be doing heavy stop and go traffic or lots of launches without significant cool down time as the material can friction weld itself to the flywheel carbon steel replaceable friction surface. If you are going to use a Fidanza flywheel or equivilant aluminum flywheel with replaceable friction surface I recommend using the Ceramic material against that side of the assembly for best wear life and lowest potential for glazing of a friction surface or warpage of the flywheel friction surface. I prefer OEM cast iron flywheels, Competition Clutch 4140 Chromoly Street flywheels and ACT Streetlite Chromoly Steel Street flywheels with these clutches. I also strongly recommend checking flywheel step height ACROSS THE ENTIRE FRICTION PLANE to confirm that the step height is within 0.608"-0.612" and a maximium of 0.618" step with it perfectly flat the entire surface area. If the flywheel friction surface is not level or is warped (overheating or common with Fidanza flywheel -- ALWAYS replace your friction surface if reusing the Fidanza flywheel!), you will have disengagement issues or clutch slippage issues from only partial contact of the friction material with the flywheel friction surface resulting in significantly lower torque capacity and the potential of glazing the clutch disk friction material or uneven disk wear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back