The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

RWD Talon runs 9s on its first full pass.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Jewer

DSM Wiseman
Jul 25, 2002
LaRue, Ohio
I don't think I've even posted about this car yet. This is Buschurs original RWD 1g, which ended up in my hands after going through a few owners. After 10 months of owning this car, replacing or rebuilding everything in it right down to the engine harness, dynoing several times, etc, I finally got it to the track for a track rental on Wednesday. All of the hard work payed off, the car didn't have a single issue all day.

Spent the track rental making some partial passes to make sure it went straight, had brakes, etc, and to get used to the way the car "felt," burnouts, using the transbrake, etc. Made 5 passes ending up around 12.9 at 135. There is a video of the third pass here. I was acutally getting harassed about the holes in my pants, not the burnout. I knew I wasn't going to launch, just wanted enough heat in the tires to make sure it stuck the 1-2 shift. You can see it finally start to build some steam just before mid track and then it puts on ~40 mph on the back end.

I decided to stay for street night to try some runs with a launch. I set up the 40 dry shot and get the AEM adding the fuel for it, and did some tuning on the transbrake. AFRs are in line, and it's making some boost. I predicted a few weeks back that if it launched with any boost at all it would run a low 10. I launched with only 45-4800 rpm and ~10 psi, and it felt like a much better run. It was a bit of work to get it down the track, the 1-2 shift was brutal, and the top end was just scary, so I knew it was going to be a good run. When I got the slip though, I had to read it 3 or 4 times before I believed what I was seeing. 9.8 at 145 on a 1.49, 118 in the eighth. I just about shit myself. A cart load of officials were waiting for me in the pits to tell me it was time to get my license. I made 3 of the 5 runs before traction went away as it got dark/cold. The last one was scary pedaling it to about 110 in the eighth before shutting it down. Two full passes left and I've got my class D license. I've still never run a 10 second pass. :D

3 days later and I'm still stoked about this. I couldn't have asked for a better day. I'm still launching 3k rpm below peak torque, so there is a lot of ET to be gained even at the same 29 psi. I've dyno tuned it up to 39-40 (another 120+ mustang whp), which is just an awesome amount of potential still on the table. Can't wait to run it again at the end of the week. :)

congrats on the times... now get your license and keep this car going faster each pass.
Good luck on keeping the improvements coming, it will be awesome to see another car keeping up with twicks, evil_eagle and those few other elite cars

I can tell already you gunna need good burnouts....remember you have a good bit of suspension tuning compared to us stock suspension style guys. that ladder bar should be your best friend right now if hooking is becoming a problem. you can easily adjust it at the track if needed to make sure she hooks good.

Once again congrats and have fun with it.

Congrats Kevin. I didn't comment on your other thread so I thought I would here.

As you already know, the fun is just beginning. This car has some pretty good potential fellas. He's still got power to add and he's had virtually no seat time.

Good luck Mr Jewer :thumb:

MB

Bring that thing down to the Pan American Nationals in July! We'll have our 4G63 rear wheel drive there, too! Brent Rau is bringing his car as well. If you can get into the 8's by then, you may have a shot.

Congrats Kevin! I've always loved that car (save for it's orig color ;) ) and am glad to see it's in capable hands and setup to finally reach it's full-potential.

Blast from the past

With a crapton left in boost/experience, I'd say high-8s are a sure thing :dsm:

Thanks guys. :)

I always love reading that article. It's funny to see what parts have remained unchanged over the last 10 years, and which ones have been dramatically upgraded.

Heading south for an event in July sounds like a good idea, there is nothing going on locally. August is going to be brutal though with NOPI, the Shotout, and another local Import Wars event.

Thanks :) There are some pics on my site, and links to dyno videos and charts, mod list, etc.

Kev, I haven't kept up on NEDSM. What did Mowery change on the Talon before you got it?

Thanks guys. :)

I always love reading that article. It's funny to see what parts have remained unchanged over the last 10 years, and which ones have been dramatically upgraded.

Heading south for an event in July sounds like a good idea, there is nothing going on locally. August is going to be brutal though with NOPI, the Shotout, and another local Import Wars event.

congratulations. Seems the car is coming along very well :)

Going to the Buschur Import Shootout?

-Brian

Yup, definitely going to the shootout. This will be my 7th consecutive trip, not gonna stop now. :) I should also have my MightyMax out there (EVO8 turbo, powerglide, etc).

Kev, I haven't kept up on NEDSM. What did Mowery change on the Talon before you got it?

Hmm. The bulk of what he did was the huge borg warner turbo (T6, 76mm, etc) and header, "matching" hood, IC and piping, built motor and ported head. I think that's about it. As far as I can tell the rest was there since Bruce owned it.

Congratulations Kevin! I'll look forward to seeing this car at the Shootout this year (if I can make it). :)

Hahaha Kevin, I had finals this week, so I've been basically stressed out of my mind. I was in the library when I got your text about the run. I literally jumped up and yelled HOLLY S**T! The 100 other people in the reading room were not too happy. You going to run anything else this summer or just the RWD?

LOL, sweet. I'll be running the MightyMax a lot, whenever I don't feel like trailering the RWD around. Probably run it once a week. The EVO is getting retired from racing duties.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back