The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

First pass 12.41!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zrsnopro97

10+ Year Contributor
May 15, 2010
indianapolis, Indiana
Well i took my talon to the track for the first time. I was expecting low 13's....
ran 12.418 @ 110.31 MPH!
60 foot: 1.809
1/8: 7.994 @ 88.05 MPH

Mods are evo3 16G turbo
CXRacing front mount intercooler
2.5" turboback exhaust
Walbro 255 pump
550 cc injectors
stock drivetrain
ACT 2600

This was done on 100 octane unleaded race fuel and was going through the traps at about 18 psi. It would spike to 21 when getting back into it after shifting and then fall back down to around 18.

No tuning done by me at all...car may have been tuned by the previous owner??
I know i can improve the 60ft by adding launch control.:hellyeah:

Very well done, sounds like you have some skills.

Very nice run. Great all around times. Just seems like the back half should have more to it. Only picked up 22mph on the back half. Just seems a little slow there. Otherwise, everything looks great!

Thanks guys! It was my first time racing this car, i have had a mustang and a trans am i used to run so its nothing new. My first time in a 5-speed though.
Yes its a full weight 92 tsi with a/c and everything. It might be a little low on the top end, the boost seemed to fall off a pound or two after the 8th mile. Anyway, im very happy with it, i was going to be happy with a low 13 second pass.
Temps were in the mid/high 70's with some humidity. The first pass of the night was the quickest, the car was cooled off then.

I wonder what some C16 fuel and more boost would do:hmm:

Forgot to mention, it does have the spare tire and jack removed, and i had the front bumper support and bumper off. I didnt have time to put that back on after the front mount install.

Funny thing was a co-worker brought his 03 Cobra convertible out that he had been talking up for the past few months. He had been saying it makes 520 to the wheels and will run 11's blah blah blah. He had it dyno'd yesterday before the track and it put down 420 to the wheels and he managed a best of a 13.25 @ 110 MPH. His feelings must have been hurting that day.

That is freaking awesome, can't wait till I'm there.

what afr's are you getting with those 550's and the 16g?

honestly i dont know what the air/fuel ratio is. The car has a narrowband o2 guage (junk). It only says if its lean/stoich/rich. Im working on getting a wideband o2 like the AEM one. It does blow a little black smoke when WOT so i figured its rich right now...which is safe i suppose. I know i need to get some tuning software asap LOL.

^^ this is very true. Nasty time with zero monitoring. Race gas must of helped LOL

Crap...oh well. I'm curious to see if you were able to run that 21psi on 550's. Reason I ask is because I have 550's, evo 8 pump and a rewire and a 14b right now. I also have a 16g sitting here waiting to go in...just curious where to start with it. My buddy has 450's on his evo 3 16g and spikes 20psi and hits a 12.0AFR with no problem.

I would think you would be alright. My car loves the 100 octane unleaded i get, it definately feels really strong when i run the racegas and turn the boost up a few pounds

Ya because it is supressing the 43 counts of knock that it sees on 93 pump... Race gas doesn't make you faster. The use of timing and running a leaner mixture is what makes the power.

I know that. I said it feels stronger when i run racegas AND turn up the boost some. Obviously LOL.
Anyway, on 93 i keep the boost down to around 15 or so.

I just wish we had 93 at the pump on the west coast.

Great job. Focus on your 60' times and your shift points and you'll go even faster. This is a really good time for a car with a lot of weight still in it. I would try C16 and turn the boost to 22 or so. Do you have any tuning afc, dsmlink, or any way to monitor your tune, pocketlogger or wideband etc?

yea i will try messing around with shift points and launch and such. Im not sure how accurate the stock tach is, but i believe i was shifting around 6500 give or take a few hundred rpm. As far as the launch goes, i was just reving it up between 4K-5K and slipping the clutch a little to build some boost. I know i can improve on that, especially once i get launch control.

The car does have the apexi S-AFC installed, but the kid i bought it from said it hasnt been calibrated yet, and he gave me a palm pilot which he said is used for tuning????? The kid really didnt know too much about the car. Honestly i was planning on ditching both of these since i have no idea how to use them and go straight to DSMlink. I already have a laptop that will run it.

Well the same principle is the same for tuning with an SAFC or dsmlink. That being you will need to add or take away fuel by tricking the computer that a different air flow amount is coming in to the engine that what actually is.

The palm pilots are popular tuning tools when set up as a budget pocket logger with a few different logger programs available. This will let you monitor your engines vitals and things like engine knock and then make your air/fuel adjustments on the SAFC, do a 3rd gear pull while recording on the logger PDA again, see what changed and so forth. One bonus dsmlink has over an SAFC is dsmlink allows you to adjust your timing as well. This is helpful for optimal performance tuning.

Honestly i got to 12.0 with a big 16Gk, but my car at the time was only about 3000 with me in it. The c-16 race gas will fight off knock better than 100 octane, which will allow you to lean the car out and runner higher boost levels. That turbo wont benefit too much going past 24psi so on C-16 i would try 22-24psi. I used to have good luck launching at 5500 rpm's and slipping the clutch quickly. This was with Eibach pro-kit springs and KYB AGX shocks in the rear with stock struts up front. This set up eventually got me down to a 1.65 sixty foot time which = a lot off of the E/T. Good luck and keep at it.

Ok cool, i may have to look into the s-afc a little before i ditch it. THe palm pilot he gave me is dead and i have no idea what it hooks up to in the car? He just handed me it and said its used for tuning? LOL. If i could just get it to read the engine vitals like knock and or air/fuel that would be better than nothing.

work on the 60ft and the shift points. I can see a 11second time slip happening with practice.dsm's are def different from a mustang but their easy to learn :hellyeah:

The palm pilot is used to monitor vitals like you said, the S-AFC is used for tuning adjustments. You need the palm pilot or some kind of logging device so that you're not making blind adjustments with nothing more than your butt's dyno.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back