The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Street Build Resurrection of the Red 90 Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thank you Jeff. At my age in life I have to make myself do what needs done. I am a bachelor so the place needs its attention also (lawn, laundry, dishes, carpets etc), so there never seems to be an "off" day, but I sure am waiting for that time to come! :):):thumb:
All hail my AMBITION I SAY :)
Now, I am encouraging all to give some attention to there DSMs. I am trying my best to give back!
I still want that 10.xxxx this year!
Thanks!

Normal was 50-60 hot cruising. That went down to 40ish and idle went from 22 to 12. Funny thing, when I use the clutch the noise would dimenish. IDK what the racket is but it is ungodly loud. I only need the head off of it and have most of the parts for a fresh build. I don't have extra L19s but I do have spare ARP headstuds so they are going to work.
I won't start the car again. It accidentally started for my BF (best friend, LOL) when I was just rolling it over. You could hear the noise just rolling it over. I IMMEDIATELY KILLED IT. I need to pull the slicks off and put them inside and get the streets back on. I will have to do that by hand, my air hoses won't quite reach where I park the car.
The weather is going to be wet and cold all week so that will wait. I will tinker on the block if it is warm enough to be comfy. I still need to pull the oil squirters and then do my little mods and hone it then take it to the machine shop for decking and my Manley I beams need new small end 22mm bushings, which they should be able to do also.

I had encouragement, that helps! Appreciate you @enriquez2000 , you have been a huge help!

Normal was 50-60 hot cruising. That went down to 40ish and idle went from 22 to 12.

So this "went down" thing, was the oil pressure gradually going down all the while you were driving it, before you even noticed anything was wrong? Or was it more like it held up to the 50-60 hot cruising pretty consistently, and then very quickly went down to 40ish when things went noticeably wrong?

Actually even 50-60 is a lower number than I was expecting to hear. What things in the build can you think of that would be causing the oil pressure to be lower than the ~90 or so psi that a lot of us wind up with when squirters and balance shafts are removed?

Racing a super cool 4th gen Firebird and toasting the shit out of that bird have the only thing to do with it. I noticed the noise and not as much power at the middle of 3rd IIRC (and I pull her 8800), I haven't looked at the log to see where it was at but it was kicking ass and takin names! Then it got me home, a good 5 miles or more. Good car!
Mechanical failure. Shit happens. I should have had a spare engine done already. My bad.
I completely expect one or more rod bearings banging around. I won't know for a while tho. When I say loud, I mean LOUD. When I say banging around I mean REALLY BANGING AROUND but no holes in blocks.
I'll post up carnage whenever I get to that. More focused on the new shortblock right now. :thumb:

Pops has been busy.....whatcha all been doin????
All looks good BUT....there is a rust spot in one cylinder that won't hone out. I will work it over one more time and its a shame because this block is nice but I may have to punch it .020.
GET BUSY SLACKERS ROFL
Just Kiddin!!!
I've been workin! :thumb:
Marty

20230424_165724.jpg

20230424_170235.jpg

20230424_170240.jpg

20230424_173217.jpg

20230424_173226.jpg

20230424_173232.jpg

20230424_173255.jpg

20230424_173305.jpg

20230424_173317.jpg

20230424_173324.jpg

20230424_175929.jpg

20230424_175934.jpg

20230424_175947.jpg

20230424_180005.jpg

20230424_175954.jpg

I should have had a spare engine done already. My bad.
I'm so shocked that you didn't have a spare engine ready and put into the car the same night 🤣🤣

whatcha all been doin????
I've been doin baby stuff. -4an. How's that for baby?
-4an line to a remote located oil pressure sender so that thing doesn't have to shake around on the OFH.
And I've been watching all the old Jafro videos, just the ones related to his GSX, back to 2013 where he took apart and measured the different oil filter housings and ported the relief on one of them.
Your pics just above in #286 could have almost come right out of his 2014 vid "4g63 Block Cleanup & Oil System Mods".

I'm so shocked that you didn't have a spare engine ready and put into the car the same night 🤣🤣

I've been doin baby stuff. -4an. How's that for baby?
-4an line to a remote located oil pressure sender so that thing doesn't have to shake around on the OFH.
And I've been watching all the old Jafro videos, just the ones related to his GSX, back to 2013 where he took apart and measured the different oil filter housings and ported the relief on one of them.
Your pics just above in #286 could have almost come right out of his 2014 vid "4g63 Block Cleanup & Oil System Mods".
I do this to all of my 4g motors. It helps volume of oil flow, not pressure. Gotta be careful around the "humps" that are oil galleys.
You are doing the right thing to remote mount anything off the OFH!!! Good deal.
Oh, and Einstein hangs in my shop if you haven't noticed in any pics hehehehe. He helps me. :cool:

I do this to all of my 4g motors. It helps volume of oil flow, not pressure. Gotta be careful around the "humps" that are oil galleys.
You are doing the right thing to remote mount anything off the OFH!!! Good deal.
Oh, and Einstein hangs in my shop if you haven't noticed in any pics hehehehe. He helps me. :cool:
Hence my comment

Well bad news ends up being ok. After honing my block, I could not get a small section of #3 cylinder to take care of a small rust area so since I am doing it, let's do it RIGHT.
The thing I didn't want to do to this virgin block was bore it but it needs it just because of one stupid little spot. So I call my old time machinist since my local man went out of business, and asked him how long I was looking at for a 4 cylinder bore, deck and 4 wrist pin bushings installed in the Manley I beam rods. To my AMAZEMENT, he said, oh....looks like maybe THURSDAY, can you bring it down then? I was flabbergasted. A few DAYS??? Not WEEKS?? Fk yeah I can get it to you THURSDAY!!! I was worried that a shop would hold me up, but not good old Privitt Engine and Machine in South Coffeyville Oklahoma. They have come to the rescue. I gotta get pistons ASAP now!
Just an update on all the shit goin on!
Marty

Well my other machine shop was over a month out and I drive buy it twice a day. This isn't on my way to work, BUT I'LL MAKE IT WORK. I'm still in disbelief. Glad I've "been around" a while! I really think the ole guy just likes me, IDK why. Glad as hell tho!!!

Well my other machine shop was over a month out and I drive buy it twice a day. This isn't on my way to work, BUT I'LL MAKE IT WORK. I'm still in disbelief. Glad I've "been around" a while! I really think the ole guy just likes me, IDK why. Glad as hell tho!!!
Wish my machine shop would be that quick!

Just got lucky I think. I have done business with him before in our many years of engine building. He builds and is very good and he knows I build and we work in CASH, no ticket tyvm.

Tomorrow is MACHINE SHOP DAY! YAY!
I love my parts toting wagon, she is a trooper Toyota Camry Wagon!!!
I wanted to hone out my 21mm bushings to 22mm but was afraid I'd fk it up so I'll let the machine shop do it RIGHT. I am taking them a 88.5mm piston with a 22mm pin. NOT the pistons I am running but the same size. I hope he tells me me bores to each piston size, which is how I was taught. Most shops just bore all to .020 over and think that is good. I like the OG way but my pistons aren't here yet.....the machine shop beat the parts, now that's something to talk about!!! :):):thumb:
Thank you all for keeping me going!

16825457436163867917593034601504.jpg

20230426_163552.jpg

20230426_163537.jpg

20230426_163533.jpg

20230426_164042.jpg

20230426_163833.jpg

20230426_163645.jpg

I just HAD to spin a new Eagle crank in the block since it still had stock bearings sitting in the main cradles. Yes I put fresh oil on the bearings. I hadn't seen my crank spin yet....I HAD to see it. Props to my videographer!

Alright....what's with the wrapped up trans?
Those are the "practice" trannys Paul, they're not sealed just assembled.. :cool: One 1g and one 2g.
I need to get them out of the car and into the shop but the shop isn't the right place for them.

I figured I needed to post an update:
Well, the 10:1, 22mm wrist pin Manley Extreme Duty Pistons came in and I dropped them off at the machine shop. The old guy looked them over and said "boy they sure are shiney, but $800??". I said "yea, don't drop them" LOL. I should be hearing from him soon. He said he may call ME when it comes time to ream the I beam rods out from 21mm to 22mm, so I am ready for the call.
Pictures, because everyone likes pictures!!!
Pops

20230601_152314_resized.jpg

20230601_152319_resized.jpg

20230601_152356_resized.jpg

20230601_152500_resized.jpg

20230601_152717_resized.jpg

20230601_152748_resized.jpg

20230601_153513_resized.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back