The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Question about balance shaft delete.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ'sbtch82

Probationary Member
Feb 10, 2013
La Center, Washington
Can I only remove one balance shaft with the engine still in the car? If so is there a link to the bsek that I would need and a link to a how to?

When you remove the 2 shafts you need to block off the oilsupply for the right one. This means taking out the bearings(wich have holes in them for the oil to go through) and putting them back in at another angle.

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LR-1adDayQY&feature=plpp]4g63 Balance Shaft Elimination - bearing modification - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a nice link.

For a bsek you need one with the oem stubby shaft.

Btw, if your motor is stock I wouldn't recommend to take out your shafts.
Good luck

Yes you leave the front shaft in the block to restrict the oil flow.

You will not install the front BS belt.

With this method of BSE, you should not see the increase in oil pressure.

The rear shaft gets pulled and the stubby shaft installed.

As bogus said, leave the front shaft it. The rear bearing is fairly easy to get to once the front cover is removed. Or you can get the STM bsek, which is essentially a balance shaft that's been cut down to remove the counterweight

Im about to do this as well. This is the first time I have heard to leave the front BS in. I thought your suppose to remove both.

No you don't have to. With the front shaft still in, but no bs belt, you don't have to turn the bearings, as bogus said. Viable option with the engine in the car. On my 1g, I saw no other way to do it without removing the block. Not sure on a 2g but I'd say its the same as they appear to have even less room

I removed both of my balance shafts with the engine in the car. It wasn't too bad. I think I removed the dirver's side engine mount and then the front mount to get the engine to hang low enough so I could get the shafts out. I rented the bearing driver from autozone to remove and install the bearings. I just reused the old bearings because I was careful when I removed them. I just turned them so the oil holes didn't line up. If I remember right, I used the front balance shaft turned around and tapped the inner front balance shaft bearing out and back in. The 2 bearings on the front balance shaft are different diameters. Make sure you get a stub shaft with the oil groove in it. Some balance shaft eliminator kits have a smooth stub shaft and it gets oil starved. The oil pressure did go up a bit on my car but with 254k, I figured it could use a bit more oil pressure.

OEM/Bearing race and seal driver set (27119) | | AutoZone.com

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back