The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Push Button Start (merged 11.07)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am also thinking about doing this. Does any one have a diagram of how this would be accomplished? Or what wires I would need to use from the existing harness to hook up the 2 buttons and the push start? Assuming one button would be ACC next Ignition and then push to start.

Well if you sit back and think about it, the key has three settings -

ACC
ON
START

You want a toggle switch for ACC, and toggle for ON, and a button for START, right?

So you just need to replicate what the key cylinder does with switches. Find a wiring diagram and go to town.

Pull the key switch out and turn to acc find the wire that gets a power signal run constant power to your first toggle then the next wire will tie in to this wire that has acc signal then turn the key on this will tell you your second signal wire for second toggle that would be easiest I think then do push button start the same way

I know this is an old-ish thread (I hate bringing these back); but it caught my eye in a Google search and felt it might be worth it to add in my experience.

I've done this in my current daily driver (a Volvo station wagon ROFL ) as well as my past 2 cars. As others said, take the ignition key plug off and find which wires are ACC, constant 12v, starter and switched 12v. I attached the diagram that shows this.

Anyhow - I used a relay on mine because I wanted a stock look instead of a rated toggle, but if you get a good switch (read: not RadioShack) that's rated for several amps of current, wire the acc, switched 12v lines, and a wire that goes to one side of a momentary push button to one side of the switch, wire the constant power to the other side. The other side of the button goes to the starter wire in the factory harness.

If you have factory anti-theft, you might have issues with it disabling the car...I've not yet done this in my Talon, so I can't say for sure there. It's possible to just by-pass the stock anti-theft entirely; which is what I plan to do since I've got a Viper SmartStart that's going in; but doing that requires a lot more wiring. It's also worth noting that if you leave the ignition lock in the car, you'll still need the key to unlock the steering wheel. Solutions to that are to either get a second key & cut or snap it off into the ignition lock with it turned on, or simply remove the lock all together.

When I do this to my Talon I'll do a tech write-up on it.

EDIT:
Adding a link to the YouTube clip I have of the setup in my daily. This was before it was finished (note the key still being required for the wheel lock and the temporary testing start button)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSrQ9iKs0cU

Attachments

• Ignition Key.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 155
I don't know if any one still looks at this thread but in the event anyone does, I am considering selling a kit like this on my site. Is there still some interest in this.

P.S custom gauges and digital AC controls coming soon!

Update pic

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336508325.274571.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336508325.274571.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 174
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336508355.425493.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336508355.425493.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 173
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336508381.803125.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336508381.803125.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 171
Same here very interested. This kit has to be easily be able to be installed though for average joes to be interested. I mean i can wire in a wideband or safc but completely doing your wiring harness would be something else completely.

Damn that center console is sweet I want mine to look like that but with all green LOL

Alright guys, I've been thinking about cheap mods i can do and ive been getting pretty good at wiring lately so a push to start has been on my mind. I pretty much want the setup like tony_tsi found here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...m-push-button-start.html?highlight=push+start

I only mean in terms of the 2 switches to power the acc/ign and then the push button to start the engine, no RFID or anything. I have a basic understanding of how the ignition wiring goes. 12v power goes into the key ignition, when the key cycles to acc power runs through the acc wire and powers the accessories. When key is cycled in ignition fuel pumps and whatnot receives power. And when the key is turned all the way it activates the starter which cranks the engine. So i guess my main question is why isn't it just as simple as splicing or cutting into each individual wire and running that to a switch, and then running power from the battery to the switch as well? Does it have to do with correct voltage? Ive been reading a lot about spdt relays but don't really understand them too well. Could someone clarify on how it should be correctly wired in?

How to write up please. I'm still in the planning phase for my carputer build and would love to learn how you did this as well as the climate control.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back